Ripping Audio From A DVD?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Can one use some kinda app out there to rip only the audio off a DVD? My Bro just got a music DVD that i like but i don't want to put that in all the time to hear it. I wanted to rip it in iTunes so i can hear it when ever and with iTunes EQ.

Is there a easy way or do i have to go the analog way for a DVD also?

Thanks

Frank_t

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    mr_emr_e Posts: 40member
    I used OSEx. Told it to rip audio only, and start a new file at each chapter break.

Ripped as AAC, imported into iTunes,tagged, and added the cover art.

Worked great with my Linkin Park "Live in Texas" DVD. This way you get 1 file per song.

If you don't specify chapter breaks, you'll get only long file.

Some info here :

http://objectifmac.free.fr/Divx4Mac/...h/riposex.html

Rock on - KWE
  • Reply 2 of 12
    frank_tfrank_t Posts: 428member
    Can u tell me how to set up this app to rip track by track and in AAC as right now all i get are .PCM files and itunes doesn't read them :-\\
  • Reply 3 of 12
    thedustinthedustin Posts: 176member
    Wiretap works really well and it records any audio playing on your Mac. Best of all, it is free. It records as aiff, then use iTunes to change it to AAC or MP3.

_thedustin
  • Reply 4 of 12
    frank_tfrank_t Posts: 428member
    Don't worry i know how to use the app now....had to read the read me file
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by thedustin

Wiretap works really well and it records any audio playing on your Mac. Best of all, it is free. It records as aiff, then use iTunes to change it to AAC or MP3.

_thedustin

Does Wiretap record what-u-hear sound or just from specific apps? I don't want messenger sounds in my songs.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielctull

Does Wiretap record what-u-hear sound or just from specific apps? I don't want messenger sounds in my songs.

It literally records any kind of sound, which actually pass your system.

Example: If you record a radiostream via wiretap, actually you do record any kind of system sounds, incoming mail sounds, alert sounds and the like too.

best
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Thanks Vox.

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr_E

I used OSEx. Told it to rip audio only, and start a new file at each chapter break.

Ripped as AAC, imported into iTunes,tagged, and added the cover art.

Worked great with my Linkin Park "Live in Texas" DVD. This way you get 1 file per song.

If you don't specify chapter breaks, you'll get only long file.

Some info here :

http://objectifmac.free.fr/Divx4Mac/...h/riposex.html

Rock on - KWE

What program are you refering to? I downloaded D-Vision, and it encodes the video, but I can't see a way of saving just the audio? The Read Me doesn't seem to help...
  • Reply 8 of 12
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

It literally records any kind of sound, which actually pass your system.

Example: If you record a radiostream via wiretap, actually you do record any kind of system sounds, incoming mail sounds, alert sounds and the like too.

best

how does that quality compare to ripping from a DVD? better, worse, marginal?
  • Reply 9 of 12
    If you're concerned with quality, I'd still recommend you rip the audio stream with OsEX as it will be unchanged.

You can then re-encode to whatever format you wish.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/9830
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Can someone tell me how you get AAC files from OSEX? I've successfully ripped PCM and AC3 files from a music DVD I have but can't get them to work in iTunes? The instructions don't really explain things that well...can OSEX do it or do I need another program to convert them?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    I loaded them into iTunes and used the "convert selected to AAC" function, then deleted the originals.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr_E

I loaded them into iTunes and used the "convert selected to AAC" function, then deleted the originals.

I can't get iTunes to load .PCM or .AC3 files so I can't convert to AAC. Do you know if there's another software that can do this?