Longhorn Clipped

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/04/09/1343201

Sad to read that the new filesystem has been postponed. Sounds like another vanilla upgrade to Windows.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    Good. Maybe this will give Apple time to jump ahead and implement some ambitious metadata-rich filesystem.

*thinking happy thoughts*

Pretty pleeeaase, Apple? With sugar on top?
  • Reply 2 of 20
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Ouch. That's a major ouch in my book. Apple's HFS+++ engineers probably took the night off after hearing of this.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    OT but does anyone else hate reading /.? I can't stand the way they've got the site and comments laid out. It's impossible to read the comments.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Oh man I hate threaded comment systems like that. I HATE IT. I guess its okay on a very very small scale but slashdot is huge, I don't know why they ever thought that was a good idea.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    They're all moderated. I mean, you have a lot more useless, off topics posts that you have here. Reading all comments would be absolutely crazy. Let the mods do their play, and then you can read nice and clean comments. It's just their system.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I almost never read the comments at /. I just go there to find interesting news stories.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/04/09/1343201

Sad to read that the new filesystem has been postponed. Sounds like another vanilla upgrade to Windows.

Hmm it is too early to say, but LongNose more and more looks like MS is meeting its Copland there...

End of the Decade? This is one hell of a timeframe.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

I almost never read the comments at /. I just go there to find interesting news stories.

Yeah same here.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Note to M$:

Please dont release anything new os wise till the end of this decade, let linux and apple kick your ass on the desktop and take your turn ar 5% market share

think they will listen? i hope so!

after thought:

Gee copying osx without being obvious sure must be hard
  • Reply 10 of 20
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Longhorn will be Longtooth by the time it finally comes out.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Have you guys read the comments? The article would lead you to believe that the whole thing was put off, but only WinFS for network shares was postponed. WinFS for local disks is still going to be included. Apple still needs to catch up.

Regardless of anything being postponed, what's kind of sad is that Apple is following Microsoft's lead on this technology. They've got one hand set in the rock of Unix and the other strapped to the Windows Express, unfortunately.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac The Fork

Have you guys read the comments? The article would lead you to believe that the whole thing was put off, but only WinFS for network shares was postponed. WinFS for local disks is still going to be included. Apple still needs to catch up.

*sigh*

This is exactly why FUD is such a successful tactic.

Do we know that Apple's behind? No. We know that Microsoft keeps talking about what it's going to release in 4 years - no, 6 years - wait, no, 8 years, and Apple doesn't talk about what it's going to release next Tuesday.

Apple has apps that use file metadata in rich and useful ways right now. They have the guy who is responsible for an elegant, high-performing rich metadata FS on board. They aren't talking about what they're doing, but that doesn't mean they're doing nothing. It just means that they aren't making promises in order to seem like they're ahead.

We'll know for sure when Longhorn actually comes out who's ahead and who's behind. But no longtime watcher of MS should take them at their word - they always promise the moon early on, and then the qualifiers and postponements and rollbacks start coming, and they start coming fast and furious before release, and then what actually comes out is Yet Another Windows 95, as far as everyday use is concerned.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    kanekane Posts: 392member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

*sigh*

This is exactly why FUD is such a successful tactic.

Do we know that Apple's behind? No. We know that Microsoft keeps talking about what it's going to release in 4 years - no, 6 years - wait, no, 8 years, and Apple doesn't talk about what it's going to release next Tuesday.

Apple has apps that use file metadata in rich and useful ways right now. They have the guy who is responsible for an elegant, high-performing rich metadata FS on board. They aren't talking about what they're doing, but that doesn't mean they're doing nothing. It just means that they aren't making promises in order to seem like they're ahead.

We'll know for sure when Longhorn actually comes out who's ahead and who's behind. But no longtime watcher of MS should take them at their word - they always promise the moon early on, and then the qualifiers and postponements and rollbacks start coming, and they start coming fast and furious before release, and then what actually comes out is Yet Another Windows 95, as far as everyday use is concerned.

Someday I am going to start printing Amorph's posts and enclose them behind frame and glass to hang on my wall.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Maybe I am just buying into FUD, but WinFS by 2006 doesn't seem to be out of the question. I think Apple should have some sort of response to it when it comes out. I didn't mean to say Apple isn't working on one or that it's behind or that WinFS is an original idea; just Apple should look at what it will offer in the end, and make sure they get OS X to that level at a reasonable time.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac The Fork

Maybe I am just buying into FUD, but WinFS by 2006 doesn't seem to be out of the question.

It did not seem out of the question to arrive by 2004 either.

We should not worry until it is released - which I believe will be rather in 2007 than earlier.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Smircle

We should not worry until it is released - which I believe will be rather in 2007 than earlier.

In this case, you should worry about the first external beta of the technology that works "well enough" - because that is what developers need to begin making software to use the feature. It's the application software that will eventually deliver the value of the feature to the end users.

Even if WinFS were somewhat unstable and/or unpleasant at the launch of Longhorn, the application developers will go around those things and still deliver "killer" apps for the new technology. Microsoft can then patch the underlying technology to bring it to 90%, at which point it reaches standard (mediocre) Windows quality and people stop noticing it, because it performs no worse than any other thing in Windows.

If other desktop OS vendors fail to deliver same kind of functionality, it will be one more straw on their backs. I have no doubt that the killer apps will come, only questions are how soon and how big they'll be.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Quote:

WinFS appears to be the main casualty, having already been curtailed. A year ago Microsoft confirmed that Longhorn wouldn't, as expected, introduce an entirely new database storage architecture in which file systems NTFS would be a plug-in. Rather, Microsoft would add database like properties to NTFS. Business Week reports that the new features of WinFS will only work on local storage rather than across networks. That's been pushed into Blackcomb, which is way out towards the end of the decade

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/04...orn_overboard/

As for Slashdot, just reading the stories is nuts as this example demonstrates they often link to BS sources and the editors add their own (seemingly random) spin. Skimming the comments at 5 (preferably logging in and downgrading the ones moderated as 'funny') really helps you get a better idea of what's actually going on. In fact, some of most informative Slashdot stories are when they post something so totally bogus that someone actually connected to the story gets irked enough to post a lengthy response.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    Quote:

Windows XP Premium will start shipping with new PCs, which will include a new version of the infamous Windows Media Player. This version will have the ability to shop at on-line stores like the one MS plans to launch later this year. It's their move to 'outflank Apple'.

hmmm scary
  • Reply 19 of 20
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Microsoft promises way more than they deliver with every OS release. Windows 95 was going to make Windows a modern OS. It didn't. Windows 2000 was going to be modern AND fully compatible. It wasn't. Windows XP was going to have a totally new interface based around new concepts (ie, task based computing). It didn't. Longhorn was going to include X, Y and Z. It won't.

Now Microsoft is saying "Blackcomb will include yada yada yada." It won't.

Barto
  • Reply 20 of 20
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

Microsoft promises way more than they deliver with every OS release. Windows 95 was going to make Windows a modern OS. It didn't. Windows 2000 was going to be modern AND fully compatible. It wasn't. Windows XP was going to have a totally new interface based around new concepts (ie, task based computing). It didn't. Longhorn was going to include X, Y and Z. It won't.

Now Microsoft is saying "Blackcomb will include yada yada yada." It won't.

Barto

well i do have that one fear? what if they do keep one promise one of these days they will actually be better if they make it a habit to keep promises

uh-oh

PS