Clear Channel Drops Another DJ Team (ATL)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
This time they took our "Regular Guys" in Atlanta. The FCC's march of progress continues. This fundamentalist-driven movement is going to result in an even bigger pendulumatic swing in the other direction in short order....oh how short-sighted are the ruler-units.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/met...09regular.html

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    I don't follow...
  • Reply 2 of 8
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Regular Guys.

FM Station Morning Show for 96.1FM "96 Rock" in Atlanta.

Station is owned by Clear Channel Broadcasting.

The Regular Guys were the next show to get axed by Clear Channel following Howard Stern's dismissal. The link in the first post explains everything Shawny.

Libertarian radio show host Neal Boortz has this to say about this topic:

HOWARD STERN ... VICTIM

Do I listen to Howard Stern?_ No._ Did I watch his television show? No again._ No doubt he's an effective and entertaining broadcaster, but putting your hand in your armpit and making little fart sounds just doesn't hold my attention for that long._ I am alarmed, though, at news that Clear Channel has permanently removed Howard Stern from the broadcast lineup at any station it owns._ Clear Channel is running scared._ The Federal Censorship Commission, formerly known as the Federal Communications Commission, is on the prowl._ Clear Channel isn't the only radio group that's frightened ... so are civil libertarians and other radio station owners.

When are you going to start to become alarmed?_ This is government censorship._ Don't give me this nonsense about sexual content._ Howard Stern isn't saying anything that your children don't hear behind the gym on any given day._ All radios have at least two knobs .. and a simple twist of either one will quiet anything you find offensive._ This witch hunt has gone on long enough._ It's time for Americans to worry about where the FCC, and it's government bosses, will head next.

He can stop wondering....they headed to Atlanta.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    In the other threads people have spoken of the market. Some Stern haters have been smug about it. Some Stern supporters have been a little hysterical. FCC is supposed to allocate, a defacto degree of censorship is built into that. Clear Channel is a private company and has no obligation to carry Stern, or anyone else for that matter. The reasons that they may drop Stern matter little.

The only recourse is the market.

Stern often prides himself as the king of all media. Powerful position. Time to exercise that power. His market presence is undeniable. Can he organize it to hurt Clear Channel? Can he organize it even so much as to take a few percentage points out of Bush Inc ?

If he can, he deserves the self proclaimed title. If he can't, then he was wrong about a few things.

I'm not sure how I feel about that, or the public hysteria about a superbowl breast, when it comes from the same public (AND THE DEMOGRAPHICS SHOW THAT THEY ARE THE LARGELY THE SAME PUBLIC) who take their kids to WWE strip shows.

I like Stern, I think he's wrong about a lot of things, but he's interesting, or at least represents something interesting about human's and train wrecks. He's the only geraldo/springer/donahue/morton downy/limbaugh hybrid that doesn't burn you out, and he predates most of them. The radio medium is what makes him interesting. A big but inevitable mistake of his show was to televise.

That's the difference. It's a different person that can think of retards and laugh to himself (radio) from one who can look at retards and laugh at them (springer). Perhaps both put them up for display, but the effect is important.

It's all so predictable, but who doesn't like the feeling of superiority that comes from forgetting for just a bit that you're not so much better than the rest?

Expect a few airinbs of Bogosian/Stone's Talk Radio to hit the airwaves.

Yours truly,

Matsu, filthospher king.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    With Stern so anti-Bush administration now, I'm sure he can sway some percentage points, especially around election time.

He has about 18 million listerners nation wide. Assume that half don't vote in the presedential election normally(this number may be higher). That's 9 million voters. If he could sway about 5 million of those to vote against Bush, that's a lot of sway. That's not icluding the other half that DO vote and can be swayed to vote against Bush.

We had a 51% voter turn out last election. US population for 2000 was about 280 million people so just over 140 million voted.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

This time they took our "Regular Guys" in Atlanta. The FCC's march of progress continues. This fundamentalist-driven movement is going to result in an even bigger pendulumatic swing in the other direction in short order....oh how short-sighted are the ruler-units.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/met...09regular.html

Could be driven by the FCC or it could be just one more example of how radio works. People lose their jobs in that business ALL THE TIME. Clear Channel has made moves exactly like this one here in Hartford. Two times they got rid of the morning DJ teams at two different stations they owned. In 1997 they canned a couple of guys who'd been together for over a decade. They ran the Bob and Tom show (a syndicated show out of Indianapolis) for a while but that didn't work. The station's morning ratings have fallen off a cliff. In 2002, at another station, they fired Dee Snyder and replaced him with Bubba the Love Sponge. That experiment lasted barely a year. Here's the sorry story about how that turned out. For the life of me I don't know how Clear Channel has become as big as it is.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

With Stern so anti-Bush administration now, I'm sure he can sway some percentage points, especially around election time...

Even if they do vote, Stern's listeners weren't likely voters for Bush anyway. The only way he has an impact is if he changes somebody's mind. The people he'd need to reach aren't listening to him.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zaphod_beeblebrox

Even if they do vote, Stern's listeners weren't likely voters for Bush anyway. The only way he has an impact is if he changes somebody's mind. The people he'd need to reach aren't listening to him.

I think alot of Sterns listeners did vote for Bush (those that did vote) but they are the same folks that if Stern told them to vote for Kerry, they would, just because Howard said so. Although in some states it won't make a difference, but watch the swing states.

And I couldn't believe it when they cut Dee. And replaced him with that idiot from Florida.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zaphod_beeblebrox

In 1997 they canned a couple of guys who'd been together for over a decade. They ran the Bob and Tom show (a syndicated show out of Indianapolis) for a while but that didn't work. The station's morning ratings have fallen off a cliff. In 2002, at another station, they fired Dee Snyder and replaced him with Bubba the Love Sponge. That experiment lasted barely a year. Here's the sorry story about how that turned out. For the life of me I don't know how Clear Channel has become as big as it is.

Same thing here in Atlanta with the same CC station that fired the Regular Guys. About five or six years ago the morning show host was canned while he was on an ACTUAL vacation. He was great, had a great show and a loyal following. They put on some kind of bull-hockey "Bubba Zoo Crew" that enraged the station's audience.

Chimps running the show.