17" PowerBook Bag: Brenthaven Backpack or Trager Courier?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I've been searching for a good bag for a 17" PowerBook. I've got my search narrowed down to two choices and was wondering if anybody on here has either one or can recommend one over the other.

Choice A:

Professional 17 Backpack Case by Brenthaven

This is the case that Apple carries on the website. I like it because it is designed in the backpack "vertical" form factor. It indicates that it comes with a protection sleeve for the PowerBook, but there are not any pictures of the sleeve on the website, so I'm curious to know how good the protection is.

Choice B:

Trager Courier bag with Brain Cell insert

This bag is carried by Tom Bihn (.com). It is setup in the standard messenger bag style (horizontal) and includes a Brain Cell insert. The Brain Cell is an enclosed sleeve that actually allows the computer to hang suspended in foam while behing shielded on the sides by hard plastic. It seems like the protection offered here is very good, but I'm not thrilled about the "non-backpack" design.

So what are your thoughts? I really like the backpack, but if the Courier bag has superior protection then I will get it. I'm more interested in protecting the computer, but I'd also love to get top notch protection in a backpack style bag.

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    thedustinthedustin Posts: 176member
    I love my Timbuk 2 courier bag, also from apple.

_thedustin
  • Reply 2 of 5
    meecesmeeces Posts: 160member
    I've been trying to figure out how to carry my 17" pb around too. I came accross this binder type deal. http://www.macyummies.com/ma17pusibi.html The nice part about it is that you can use the computer while still in the binder, just flip it open. The bad part is that it is hard to carry by itself. It would be awesome if it had handles. But I guess you fix that by just finding a decent backpack to stick it in. Just a thought, altough I too am still deciding, and when budget allows.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    gh0zttgh0ztt Posts: 42member
    Nobody has either one of the bags I mentioned above? Come on... give us some feedback!
  • Reply 4 of 5
    I know you said to give feedback on those specific bags but i just bought a BELKIN Vertical Slip case NE-SC2 and its mad. Really minimalist and sleek and it fits into a back pack or any other bag. Plus its really cheap. Only around $20US, $30 AUD. It really nice FITS UPTO 17" powerbook even though on teh website the dimensions say it doesnt.

Its made of wetsuit type material and some other future looking material. Has a carry strap as well and is a crazy bag for teh price. Now i can just chuck it into any bag that i have.

Have a think. I have a picture and a link if you want

http://www.cworld.com.au/info.php?ID=114858

remember its in AUD$ not US.but you can buy from your end.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Being that Brenthaven's offices and main warehouse are literally down the street from me (Bellingham, WA), I never go anything but them, but I don't know much about the Trager Courier, I do know it's a reliable bag, just not enough knowledge of it to give an honest opinion.