in General Discussion edited January 2014
Lakers all the way.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Logan

Lakers all the way.

You got it! The West is also going to stomp on the East so bad it will be pitiful.

Nick
  • Reply 2 of 44
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
    Pacers
  • Reply 3 of 44
    i'm a bucks fan, but i'm realistic. although they were a pleasant surprise this year.

i agree with tiger, i don't think the west has a gimme this year. the pacers could win so could the pistons, in fact the pistons have become a scary defensive machine.

as to the lakers, i'm sure those drama queens will be beset by some tragedy or another during the playoffs.
  • Reply 4 of 44
    loganlogan Posts: 284member
    Lakers always come up big in the playoffs.
  • Reply 5 of 44
    I'm not quite ready to tout the Detroit Pistons yet, as I'm still trying to get over the 4-0 start of the Tigers.
  • Reply 6 of 44
    Quote:

Lakers always come up big in the playoffs.

like they did last year?
  • Reply 7 of 44
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    Here comes the T-WOLVES baby!
  • Reply 8 of 44
    Detroit-- 1 down, 15 wins to go.
  • Reply 9 of 44
    Ditto for the Lakers.
  • Reply 10 of 44
    Unfortunately I'm a Magic fan. My vote, Detriot. D-E-F-E-N-C-E. To all the L.A. fluffers out there. The Lakers are a group of individuals. To make it to the finals you not only need skillz but to be of one mind and body. They were lucky to win at home last night against Houston. While the Rockets are'nt the worst team they're certainly not the best. IF the Lakers make it past the first round they're going to face a sharp raise in diffulculty.
  • Reply 11 of 44
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    Detroit has a good chance to come out of the East (Pacers, too), but neither can go toe-to-toe with the playoff tested tops in the West. The Pistons offense can drop to nothing at times, and Rasheed can't take over a game if Billups and Hamilton begin clanking.

My choice: San Antonio over Detroit in 5.
  • Reply 12 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by scottiB

Detroit has a good chance to come out of the East (Pacers, too), but neither can go toe-to-toe with the playoff tested tops in the West. The Pistons offense can drop to nothing at times, and Rasheed can't take over a game if Billups and Hamilton begin clanking.

My choice: San Antonio over Detroit in 5.

Your probably right. I love the East but the talent divide is rather large right now. As long as the Eastern team loses to Duncan I'm allright with it. He's just such a great player and a stand up guy you gotta love him.
  • Reply 13 of 44
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    I'm a HUGE Lakers fan. I'm also a realistic Lakers fan, and after watching that first game against the Rockets I have to say....YIKES. Probably the ugliest Lakers playoff game I have ever seen.

Why the Lakers won't win it all:

-the triangle offense is looking like a blown up balloon.

-all the starters are pretty banged up. At best there's only a handful of players in the roster that are 100% physically.

-they see a pick/screen and roll and are somehow instantly paralysed....

-after the league came up with the "Shaq rules" last year, he's not as dominant anymore. Plus those freethrows...

-they are definitely not a good jump shooting team.

-San Antonio.

How they could win it all:

-they get healthier which is highly doubtful considering this first round is going to be VERY physical.

-our outside shooting improves considerably. A big IF.

-they somehow start moving the ball better and working the triangle the way they're supposed to. Big IF.

-Jackson suddenly decides to coach and comes up with some brilliant adjustments including a rotation that actually works.

-Tim Duncan turns an ankle and is not close to 100%.

My prediction....San Antonio versus the Pistons in one of the ugliest Finals ever(even uglier than last year's).

My miracle wish: Lakers over the Pistons in 6.
  • Reply 14 of 44
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    Twolves 1 - Denver 0

Cassell 40, Carmelo 19

Ahhhhh
  • Reply 15 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gilsch

I'm a HUGE Lakers fan. I'm also a realistic Lakers fan, and after watching that first game against the Rockets I have to say....YIKES. Probably the ugliest Lakers playoff game I have ever seen.

Why the Lakers won't win it all:

-the triangle offense is looking like a blown up balloon.

-all the starters are pretty banged up. At best there's only a handful of players in the roster that are 100% physically.

-they see a pick/screen and roll and are somehow instantly paralysed....

-after the league came up with the "Shaq rules" last year, he's not as dominant anymore. Plus those freethrows...

-they are definitely not a good jump shooting team.

-San Antonio.

How they could win it all:

-they get healthier which is highly doubtful considering this first round is going to be VERY physical.

-our outside shooting improves considerably. A big IF.

-they somehow start moving the ball better and working the triangle the way they're supposed to. Big IF.

-Jackson suddenly decides to coach and comes up with some brilliant adjustments including a rotation that actually works.

-Tim Duncan turns an ankle and is not close to 100%.

My prediction....San Antonio versus the Pistons in one of the ugliest Finals ever(even uglier than last year's).

My miracle wish: Lakers over the Pistons in 6.

ROFL.. Shaq not dominant? Thats like saying Carmelo can't shoot. I've never heard bigger bullshit in my life. And about his freethrows, watch any other center shoot free throws and you'd see shaqs arent much different. Put it this way, go to your nearest hoop and try shooting a golf ball. Tell me how hard that is. Thats what Shaq feels. Either way he still is and will remain the most dominant player in basketball.
  • Reply 16 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mass Appeal

Unfortunately I'm a Magic fan.

Oh, sorry about your season. And about that Grant Hill think, sorry 'bout that, too.

I root for Detroit, but as long as either L.A. or Chicago doesn't win the championship, then I'm happy. I don't get into schadenfreude too often, but I don't like any one associated with the Jordan-era Bulls, like Phil Jackson. And although I think Phil is one of the best coaches ever, I still hopes he loses.
  • Reply 17 of 44
    Quote:

ROFL.. Shaq not dominant?

You have problems with your reading comprehension skills or something? I said Shaq isn't "as dominant anymore".
    Quote:

Thats like saying Carmelo can't shoot. I've never heard bigger bullshit in my life.

I have. Your ridiculous analogy being a fine example of that. And by the way, considering Carmelo only shot 42.6%, or 8th from the BOTTOM of all forwards who made more than 3.7 field goals per game...I wouldn't use him as an example of a great shooter if I were you. lolIndividual leaders forwards 2003-04
    Quote:

And about his freethrows, watch any other center shoot free throws and you'd see shaqs arent much different. Put it this way, go to your nearest hoop and try shooting a golf ball.

Yeah, you really know what you're talking about here. Shaq was LAST of all centers(who made at least 1.5 FTs per game)in the league at 49%. He was the only one below 50%.

In fact, of all the centers in the league(who made at least 1.5 FTs per game), only 3..besides Shaq...made UNDER 65% of their free throws. Nowitzki, YAO MING,Brad Miller, Okur, Davis, Magloire,Ilgauskas, Voshkul, Collins, Wallace,Swift, Blount, Collins, Robinson, Bosh are centers who don't have that "golf ball" syndrome that according to you afflicts Shaq, since they shot over 70% from the line all year.
    Quote:

Tell me how hard that is. Thats what Shaq feels. Either way he still is and will remain the most dominant player in basketball.

Considering Shaq's "only" been playing BKB for 2 decades, I find your "golf ball"analogy laughable.FT% stats Centers 2003-04
  • Reply 18 of 44
    o-maco-mac Posts: 777member
    I want Shaq to average 50 pts and 20 rebounds in the playoffs.

I want him to be finals MVP and sweep every team they play.

If he does that then FINALLY those critics wil lget off his back and give him the greatest player label.

And then Kobe can keep his mouth shut and take his selfish self into free agency because it's Shaq's team not his...

And when Kobe goes into Free Agency and gets A-Rod-like $$$ he can either pass or fail with what he has to play with...

I hate the Lakers because I'm jealous. Yeah I admit it....To be able to put up a quality team year in and year out that everyone seems to fear in the playoffs is something we here in Philly can only DREAM about...they must be doing something right over there.

Hey, don't Kobe and Shaq BOTH go to practice??? Don't THEY make their teammates better by going to practice??? hmmm...and THEY have THREE (3) rings to AI's ZERO (0)...

"Yeahhh but AI was league MVP back in 2000---"

"That's right. BACK in 2000. When it's all said and done the only thing people will talk about is 'where's da ring?'"

I don't care if you give 200% on the floor, the bottom line is, if you don't win you're a loser. Plain and simple.

40% field goal percentage..This isn't baseball...

The End of my rant...Peace.
  • Reply 19 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by O-Mac

And then Kobe can keep his mouth shut and take his selfish self into free agency because it's Shaq's team not his...

It may be Shaq's team right now, but at 32 years old and with arthritic knees and with the new rules, it won't be for long.
    Quote:

And when Kobe goes into Free Agency and gets A-Rod-like $$$ he can either pass or fail with what he has to play with...

Maybe you're not familiar with the current collective bargaining agreement , but NO team can offer Kobe even remotely the same amount of money the Lakers can. In fact he'd be giving up around $30 million by signing somewhere else.
    Quote:

I hate the Lakers because I'm jealous. Yeah I admit it....To be able to put up a quality team year in and year out that everyone seems to fear in the playoffs is something we here in Philly can only DREAM about...they must be doing something right over there.

Well, we've been very fortunate with the Lakers success the last few years. However , the wizard, Jerry West is not with the Lakers anymore, so we'll see if some of his magic rubbed off on Kupchak. Sure, he signed Malone and Payton, but that was mostly because Malone really wanted to come to LA and Payton had pledged to follow Malone.
    Quote:

40% field goal percentage..This isn't baseball...

I don't understand your point here, but if you're not happy with 40% shooting, I agree, that's considered poor by NBA standards.
  • Reply 20 of 44
    o-maco-mac Posts: 777member
    AI puts up too many shots during a game just to keep his stats up (e.g. ppg)

That's detrimental to a team that doesn't have more than one good shooter.

On sports radio they asked, would you rahter have AI put up 50pts and lose or not play and win? Some nitwit callers said they'rather see AI put up 50...Obviously they weren't fans of the TEAM...