iPod or iDud?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Got a new 20G ipod 3G on Saturday and was getting really excited about my new toy.

However, there's a rainbow on the screen - like its been press down - or distorted, similar to a PDA or calculator... Can this be possible if the screen is enclosed?

It is more obvious from the side in daylight - the contrast on the screen is pretty crap - especially with the backlight on..?

The packaging was sealed, shrink wrapped - not a display model.

There have been several stories of iDuds shipped to Europe/UK in the past few months. Complaints relate to crap screens, headphones, missing parts etc. This is far beyond the battery fiasco..

have I got an iDud?

Cheers

Mikey

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    scavangerscavanger Posts: 286member
    I would presume you are right. Get a replacement.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    stroszekstroszek Posts: 801member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rendevous

the contrast on the screen is pretty crap - especially with the backlight on..?

You can adjust the contrast to your liking. The option is in the Settings menu.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Actually the screen issue might be from prolonged exposure to heat.

I know my iPod had similar problems after I had forgotten it in my glove compartment of my car. After it cooled to room temperature it was fine, only visible if you held it at a certain angle in the right lighting conditions. Backlight did not seem to be affected.

Hope everything works out for you.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    My iPod looked ****ed up like that once, but when I turned it on, everything was fine. The default contrast on the iPod was never to my liking, but you can adjust it so it's all good.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    you always get that rainbow look during the day. if it happens again, go inside a building, adjust the contrast, and i promise your problem will go away.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Silly question #1: Are you wearing polarized sunglasses when you see this? I was...