iPhoto Problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
This is a big problem, I have the pictures in my iPhoto Library and I can view them in the finder, I just cant get them into/to display in the iPhoto program. I need a quick fix please.

Thanks

Logan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    1) iPhoto is an iApp. iApp discussion are for Digital Hub.

2) Technical questions go in Genius Bar. You'll get answers faster there.

Would Brad or LoCash like to move this one?

And no, I haven't a fix for you on this one, sorry.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    I'll punt this to the Genius Bar.

Could you provide some more details about your problem? I'm confused a bit by the description you gave. How can a photo be in your iPhoto library but not be displaying in iPhoto?
  • Reply 3 of 13
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    I'm guessing that it shows up in the iPhoto Library folder system in the Finder, but not inside iPhoto when you run it, correct?
  • Reply 4 of 13
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    My reply from the other thread:

I'm a little confused. You say that you have them in your iPhoto library but are unable to view them in iPhoto?

Did you just drag and drop the pictures into the iPhoto library or did you import them into iPhoto? If they are in your library you should be able to view them, unless you imported them incorrectly.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    loganlogan Posts: 284member
    Ok let me elaborate. I had iPhoto 2 and it worked fine. In my previous thread: Downloading iPhoto, I mentioned that it got deleted somehow, but my library was still fully intact. After it got deleted, I decided to go out and buy iLife 04, which I did. I get home and install iLife 04 and it puts all my photos into an album named Recovered Photos and gives me an error message saying: 502 photos were not imported correctly but were recovered and placed in the Recovered Photos album. Following this, I re-sort all the photos into their original albums and get rid of the Recovered Photos album. The thing is, all my photos are perfect and viewable except previously to updating iPhoto from 2 to 4, I had 530-some photos, not 502. I checked in my iPhoto Library on the finder and they are there, they just, for whatever reason, do not display in the iPhoto program/window. I've tried dragging and dropping them, moving them around, etc. but I can't find a solution. Starting to go crazy...

EDIT: I also want to know why all my photos work except a certain 30 or 40 photos. They were all imported with the same camera, the same way, and almost the same time.

Thanks

Logan
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Pretty please.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

A. Originally posted by Logan

The thing is, all my photos are perfect and viewable except previously (...) I had 530-some photos, not 502. I checked in my iPhoto Library on the finder and they are there, they just, for whatever reason, do not display in the iPhoto program/window.

Quote:

B. Originally posted by Logan

I also want to know why all my photos work except a certain 30 or 40 photos. They were all imported with the same camera, the same way, and almost the same time.

Are the 30 or 40 photos that don't "work" part of the same group of 28 that don't appear in iPhoto? How do they not "work"? You mean in iPhoto or in any app? Do the "bad" files view correctly in a web browser or other app?

Are you saying that 30 or 40 photos do appear in iPhoto and do not display image data aside from the "28" that do not appear in iPhoto at all? How do these 30 or 40 files appear in iPhoto? Do they show anything?

Did you change into RAW image format by accident at some point on the camera? Are all the extensions .jpg?

--

Helpful hint: Do not "bump" and post merely to plead impatiently. Some of us are barely willing to help considering the multiple threads and impatience you exhibit. If nothing else that impatience makes you make rash, panicky decisions and makes things worse for you (and also harder for us to post solutions that will help. By the time we post you've guessed your way into a needless iLife purchase). Slow. Down.

This panicky impatience screams of "I deleted my dad's/mom's/wife's/boss' iPhoto."
  • Reply 8 of 13
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Helpful hint: Do not "bump" and post merely to plead impatiently. Some of us are barely willing to help considering the multiple threads and impatience you exhibit. If nothing else that impatience makes you make rash, panicky decisions and makes things worse for you (and also harder for us to post solutions that will help. By the time we post you've guessed your way into a needless iLife purchase. Slow. Down.

Hear, hear.

Your approach and attitude could use a little work.

Good Luck!!
  • Reply 9 of 13
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Well, I'll give it a try. I am assuming that these 28 or 30 or 40 or however many pictures show up in the finder and can be opened in preview (or whatever). Why don't you just pull them out into a seperate folder (outside the iPhoto Library) and then re-import them (using the Import command under the File menu)?
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by JBL

Well, I'll give it a try. I am assuming that these 28 or 30 or 40 or however many pictures show up in the finder and can be opened in preview (or whatever). Why don't you just pull them out into a seperate folder (outside the iPhoto Library) and then re-import them (using the Import command under the File menu)?

JBL, thank you for understanding my question 100%, because your solution worked, and you are now my hero.

Quote:

Helpful hint: Do not "bump" and post merely to plead impatiently. Some of us are barely willing to help considering the multiple threads and impatience you exhibit. If nothing else that impatience makes you make rash, panicky decisions and makes things worse for you (and also harder for us to post solutions that will help. By the time we post you've guessed your way into a needless iLife purchase). Slow. Down. [/B]

Sorry about the bump, just was getting antsy. And for the record, I was going to upgrade anyway.

Quote:

This panicky impatience screams of "I deleted my dad's/mom's/wife's/boss' iPhoto."

[/B]

None that I more love than myself.

Quote:

Originally posted by FormerLurker

Hear, hear.

Your approach and attitude could use a little work.

Good Luck!!

[/B]

I extend my deepest, most sincere and humble apologies to all that I offended/annoyed/bothered. I will do my best to see that it does not happen again.

I do, however, have one more question. I'd like to have all my pictures in the same place. I used JBL's solution by moving the photos to the desktop then importing them from there. How do I go about getting them back into the iPhoto library? This may seem like a dumb question but something is wrong with my library.

Thank you all

Logan
  • Reply 11 of 13
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    When you import pictures, they are moved to your Home/Pictures/iPhoto Library folder. They are COPIED there. The originals can be deleted once they have been imported.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    For a really "fresh" import, delete or move the iPhoto folder in Photos, and the com.apple.iphoto.plist file from Preferences in your user Library. Then launch iPhoto and it should act like a "first launch".
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Is a fresh import necessary? In other words, will it make iphoto 4 more responsive or quicker?

Thanks

Logan