look back to see whats next

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
think back a mere 10 years, if a family wanted a home movie they had to do thier "editing" with 2 VCRs and if they were lucky a small, somewhat worthless control pannel.

now: with a PMG4 or 5 or even an imac and imovie, you have the capability of a 20,000 home studio in '94.

music fan? well back then if ya wanted to make a mix of your tunes, you had to work for at least an hr doing tape to tape or disk to tape or card to tape and so on, and now, iTunes, need I say more

music maker? then:a keyboard, and some other insterments and a mic in a 4-channel mixer going to a cassete deck now: theres acid, GB sound forge, logic, and the grand daddy of them all, protools.

hardware: my desktop 10 yrs ago: 2 yr old 286 with dos 6 and dialup bbs, now a 1.4yr old 2 gig running xp (the least improved of all mentioned) and an always live dsl line.

what I mean to say is, that if we want to see the future, we must think about from where we come

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    formatc2formatc2 Posts: 176member
    Cave paintings? Stone tablets? Scrolls? Word of mouth? Dinosaurs?

Dinosaurs are cool. Apple should go "Transformers" and make dino-themed PCs.

• Reply 2 of 4
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member

Got that image in before Brad did!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    What I meant was look back 8 to 10 years, back then what did you expect 2004 to look like as far as technology, hardware, software and so on, now contrast that with what actualy happened, did we ever imagine that we would have access to what then took a pro level production studio and we could access these tools from our desktop, the same desktop from wich you can get up to the second info on anything and e-mail everyone in s single click?

based on that I pose the following question, where will we be, Mac wise in say 5-7 years?

(there is enough next teusday this and two weeks from now that, I say lets look a little further than the next calendar page)
  • Reply 4 of 4
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

based on that I pose the following question, where will we be, Mac wise in say 5-7 years?

Who the hell knows? I sure don't. I wouldn't have guessed the digital hub would have become so easy. Anyway, I am along for the ride as are 99% of the people on this earth using computers. We get what they give us. Apple surely has innovated in the past 10 years. What has Microsoft done with Windows (from an innovation standpoint, not a copy-cat method)? Not a whole lot. Maybe simultaneous-user desktops. I really can't think of anything major. Mostly just copied technologies from Mac/Unix over the years. That is why Apple is viewed as an innovative company.

Open-source operating systems seem to be gaining popularity, with Sun even considering (gasp!) open-sourcing Solaris. I'd rather use a BSD-based OS though, any day. Since they are cancelling the latest UltraSparc release I have a feeling they are going to be getting away from proprietary stuff anyway.

I think most everyone beside Microsoft will be open-sourcing/public licensing a lot of their currently proprietary code. It does benefit everyone.

As far as technology, I can see computers becoming less of an object, and more of an invisible technology. Virtual keyboards, flexible displays, etc...

Laptops will become thinner, but probably not a lot smaller.

Techno gizmos will come and go as usual but will generally get smaller and more functional (read: cell phone/pda/dig camera/GPS/???)

The interesting thing will be in the next few years to see what road the music/movie industry takes as far as DRM. I also am interested in seeing how fast broadband services can become.

We are on the virge of a steamroller technology in xGrid (and Grid in general). Should be interesting to take part in that!

That's enough for now...