Question about Old iMac

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Ok, I was travelling over this past weekend, and happened to visit an Apple store where I was and I wanted to talk to someone at the genius bar about my USB/Ethernet issues, which have since randomly stopped as quickly as they started.

Needless to say, the genius bar guy asked about my old machine, and I told him about the apple repair guy telling me it was a dead PAV board and would cost 500$ to replace, etc. The genius bar guy looked at my as though I was crazy and asked why didn't I just hook up an external monitor to the iMac and continue using it that way.

Here's my question, well questions actually....

1) What does the PAV board actually do?

2) As I understand it (and I could be way off here!) the PAV board stands for Power/Analogue/Video right? Wouldn't that mean that if it is dead, then it wouldn't be able to give the machine power and send the info to an external monitor? Or could just the video be shot on it, and it would still power up ok, and I *could* run an external monitor off of the machine?

3) Was the genius bar right about hooking up an external monitor and getting it to work fine still?

Thanks to you for your help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    What computer is it? You'll have to be more specific than saying it's an "old iMac." Tray loading or slot loading? What processor speed?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    remryremry Posts: 10member
    Sorry, that info was in a previous post of mine....

Summer 2000 iMac DVSE - Graphite

Slot Loading

500 mhz

40 gig

384 Ram