4/13 eMac update...4/20....

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
ok, so the eMac update is finally here...hehe....actually a nice update and tells us some things

1. bottom iMac must be updated or replaced

2. can the eMac have a faster superdrive than the PM?? i guess the answer is yes, but for how long

so

4/20 we see finally the PM update...just a spec bump and faster graphics card and faster superdrive....maybe a bump from 2.0 to 2.25 or 2.4 (and maybe with the 130mm process if they are having problems with the 90mm)

4/27...new iMac, new form factor, G5 single proc and faster graphics card and faster superdrive

then WWDC gets more goodies (new iBook, new PB, finally the jump to PM on 90mm process at 2.4 and 2.6....going to 3.0 in sept)

g

ps...my sources are very good...they are the voices in my head...i got them drunk the other night and suddenly it was, "see gelding, i was cleaning steve jobs office the other night when i came across this roadmap of future upgrades laying on his desk...."

i often get the voices in my head drunk...they dance real funny, though the inappropriate pinching is bothersome

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    tfworldtfworld Posts: 181member
    nice... I like how the eMac is now almost *better* then the iMac! I would get one but I want a 20" flat screen...
  • Reply 2 of 29
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tfworld

nice... I like how the eMac is now almost *better* then the iMac! I would get one but I want a 20" flat screen...

There is now almost about it.

The $799 emac has better specs all around except for the hard drive than the 1299 iMac. Cool rotating LCDs aren't worth an extra $500 plus a downgrade on all other specs!
  • Reply 3 of 29
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    This probably now belongs in Current Hardware?
  • Reply 4 of 29
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tfworld

I was working on my in-laws flat screen iMac on the weekend. Nice machine overall - compared to my pokey G3 500 - but I must say that I am now not sold on flat screens. This was the first time that I have worked over a couple of day period on a flat screen, and I must say that I was not that impressed.

Working on it for long time, you notice how much the quality of the perceived image depends on the angle of view. I am fidgidty - especially after being at the computer for a couple of hours - and I don't like having to forever adjust the screen to my body position, or, alternatively, having to maintain a single body position to accomodate the screen.

There are advantages to CRTs. I see an eMac in my future, especially given the great price....
  • Reply 5 of 29
    Actually, the superdrive in the new eMac is the same speed as the ones shipped in the "new" G5 PowerMacs. I ordered a dual 1.8 about a week ago (yes I know updates are just around the corner, but I had to use up my student developer discount before it ran out) and the superdrive it cam with was a Pioneer DVR-107D. This is a 8x DVD+/-R drive. Unfortunately Apple decided to cripple its write speed in the firmware (or so it would appear). I burnt a DVD last night and my max burn speed was listed as 4x in Toast. The manufacturer clearly states that the DVR-107D is an 8x DVD burner though... strange.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

This probably now belongs in Current Hardware?

Yep.. This thread is in the wrong forum.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Yep.. This thread is in the wrong forum.

actually, if we read the first post, i am stating what i would like to see on the 20th and the 27th...as today is the 13th, that would be future hardware

g
  • Reply 8 of 29
    bytemebyteme Posts: 45member
    Quote:

I had to use up my student developer discount before it ran out

I am interested in joing the student developer for the $100.00 initiation fee and was wondering how long Apple gives you to make the one-time hardware purchase? Also, how long did it take to get verified and how is the program overall?
  • Reply 9 of 29
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ByteMe

I am interested in joing the student developer for the $100.00 initiation fee and was wondering how long Apple gives you to make the one-time hardware purchase? Also, how long did it take to get verified and how is the program overall?

is the student developers discount better than the student (educational) discount?
  • Reply 10 of 29
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

is the student developers discount better than the student (educational) discount?

Yeah. The standard education discount is only about 10%. The developer discount is about 20%. Depending upon what you are getting, you can save some money that way, but I really don't think it's that much if you factor in the $100 fee. Someone who's in the ADC program would be able to tell you the exact prices.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    Find out HeRe

Under "NEWS and UPDATES:" select the "US Hardware Purchase Program Store" hyperlink

The link may not work but here is an idea:

Power Mac Dual 2GHZ - $2,399

Power Book 17" Superdrive - $2,399

+++Plus there are Recommended Systems, which are bundles, where more money can be saved.

edited the link
  • Reply 12 of 29
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Find Out - HeRe

That's a no go... you gotta be a developer to see that page.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    NoW...Try the LinK
  • Reply 14 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

student developer is a one-time (per lifetime) hardware discount, at the current developer prices. and yes, that's better than the regular "I'm a student, give me something off" discount.

check out the details of the membership here...

Student Developer Page

there are links to FAQ's and Student Discount stuff.

As for legnth of membership/discount...I originally purchased a membership in Feb/March '03, but then you have to FAX them proof of being a student, and it has to be verified before they make your account "fully activated" or something. The first time I faxed in stuff, they must have lost one of the pages, because they said they only had the photocopy of my student id, and not a current class schedule. So then I got another "certified" class schedule and faxed that. A week later they emailed to say they had received my class schedule, but they required a photocopy of my studient id. ?!? This was over the course of a couple of months, cuz I was really busy with grad school, and moving, and then kinda forgot about it. So by the first week of Feb '04 I remembered to get copies of everything, and faxed it in, thinking I'd only have a couple of weeks to make my purchase. Once they verified my enrollment (a couple of days) I got the notice that my account would be active through Feb '05! Not bad. Of course the "monthly" mailings haven't happened. I got the very first "welcome package", but nothing since then (missed two months).
  • Reply 15 of 29
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    The discount is about 20% off.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

They give you a life time to use it. Because its only once in a life time you get that discount. You can buy 2 years worth of student ADC accounts and use it on your second year. Trust me... if you develop, this program is VERY nice. Not to mention you get 2 free OS updates... like this year I got 10.3 and will get 10.4 when it comes out. That alone pays for the adc account. Also I won a free ticket to WWDC, so thats 1600 there too. Now I'll get about 800 off of a new powermac g5 when they come out.... you do the math
  • Reply 17 of 29
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Finally, decent UK pricing!!!! at £549 these are some of the best value computers you can find in the budget range in the UK right now. Oh But-

Why are there no tech specs in the Apple UK site? Is this because it is not the same as the US version?
  • Reply 18 of 29
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    For all of you "market share" mavens, this is one of the best updates you could hope for!! I know alot of people feel the eMac is so '90's, but it is a great value and the low end is getting to the $600 sweet spot...and with iApps and good optical drives!

So this is a happy day as long as Apple can get those eMacs in stores all over the world....and maybe add a transparent graphite model. Seeing inside was very cool.

I also like that Apple is proving to the education market that it isn't going to dump the eMac line just cause it wants to make armchairmarketeers on AppleInsider worry about the iMac LCD.

Apple is doing something very untraditionally Apple-like ... creating a consistently improving line of sturdy machines for regular folks!!! Enjoy the new Apple.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CommonMode

Actually, the superdrive in the new eMac is the same speed as the ones shipped in the "new" G5 PowerMacs. I ordered a dual 1.8 about a week ago (yes I know updates are just around the corner, but I had to use up my student developer discount before it ran out) and the superdrive it cam with was a Pioneer DVR-107D. This is a 8x DVD+/-R drive. Unfortunately Apple decided to cripple its write speed in the firmware (or so it would appear). I burnt a DVD last night and my max burn speed was listed as 4x in Toast. The manufacturer clearly states that the DVR-107D is an 8x DVD burner though... strange.

Are you sure you're using 8x media? It's very hard to find and expensive. 4x media is abundant though. I have a DVR-107D purchased from NewEgg and it burns DVDs at 4x because I have 4x media. I didn't want to pay three times as much for 8x media.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by CommonMode

I don't know about that, I just got my dual 1.8 a week ago, and it shipped with an DVR-A05. I was forced to get a DVR-107 from esbuy for 99 bucks...