Beige G3s and Jaguar or Panther

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Alright. Today I got a free beige G3 (266 MHz, 244MB RAM), and I figured it would make the perfect system to hook up next to a stereo and play streaming iTunes music from another computer with a bigger HD. Unfortunately, iTunes 4 is only compatible with OS X, 10.1.5 on up. So begins my adventure.

At first I tried Panther with X Post Facto (knowing it was unsupported), thinking it would be worth a shot. After two tries, and the wonderful "Can't find a system/no smoking" icon both times, I whip out Jag. Thinking that this would be simpler, I erase and install, but upon booting, I get a KP every time.

So, I rummage around, and find 10.1 install disks. Finally, this one works (boy was 10.1 ugly!). After updating the system to 10.1.5, I install iTunes 4, and to my dismay discover that the sharing features are only available in 10.2.4 or later. GRRR....

I then try updating the system to Jag via an Upgrade, but no dice. Again a kernel panic. Does this sound like a bad RAM problem? I know OS X is picky, but doesn't the installer catch it? Do I need to use X Post Facto with Jag, too? Can I?

So, any ideas as to why Jag isn't working? It should work, right?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    It might be your ram. Try installing OS 9 on there and than get a program called Gauge Pro. A great little app that runs hardware tests. That'll tell you if it's a ram problem.

Good Luck.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I run iTunes on a Beige G3 Mini Tower, hooked into my stero system as a dedicated internet radio & music machine. It runs fine. Points to remember:

You must install OS X onto a partition on the first six gig of the hard disk, or else it won't book.

I've popped in a new disk for the music and have a boot partition of 5gig and the rest for the iTunes library. HDD's are really cheap right now so I'd do that rather than stream - I've never managed to get streaming working very well.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Well, I ran the RAM test, and it passed with flying colors. Nothing wrong there.

And, I really don't want to get another HD, as I want to stream from multiple computers (a college apartment). Also, this is nicer since it's much quicker to import CDs on my iMac G4 than on a 266 G3.

Any other thoughts?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Well, I just tried to put OS 10.2 on again. This time I noticed the top line of the debug info that spewed out: Unable to find driver for platform: "AAPL,PowerMac G3"