Authoring Multimedia...

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi all,

I'm beginning to create some good content that I want to send to my far flung family and friends, and I'd love to create a multi-media CD-Rom (as not all have DVDs).

Can anyone advise on a cheap software solution that can do this?

The idea is that when putting in the CDRom a menu will come up that will lead people to either a film, some photos, a letter etc. A bit like the CD-Rom UK Sunday Times readers get once a month. of course, if it works with DVD too that would be great.

Cheers,

David

FP iMac, 800Mhz, Superdrive

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    the version of iDVD in iLife '04 sounds like it'll do most if not all of what you're asking.

http://www.apple.com/ilife/idvd/
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Where does it say that iDVD will make menus for CDs?

I don't think it will.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    you are correct...

I misread his 'if it works with DVD too' as an either/or inquiry

compatibility is a major question... are all of your potential viewers on a common platform?

why not just build a website with links to all of the content in question and burn it to CDROM

all users with a respectable browser (which presumably means no new learning curve) would be able to view menus, images, text, and depending on plug-in, audio and video content (which is held locally on the CD, so no concern about bandwidth)
  • Reply 4 of 7
    curiousuburb,

I must admit I was/am thinking of doing just as you suggest - create a website on a CD Rom.

But I was hoping for a more elegant solution, so my friends and family only have to insert a disc and follow onscreen menus. I understand that products like Macromedia Director will do what I want - but I can't justify the price for a few home CD Roms!

Hopefully one of you guys knows of a cheaper product out there - for instance, anyone know much about MovieWorks 6?

Cheers,

David
  • Reply 5 of 7
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    flash will do it pretty much just as well as director and its a bit cheaper. $500 not $1100.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Well, I just found this little gem on MacUpdate.com. It looks like it would do exactly what you're asking, I believe.

VCD Builder 1.1.2
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Thanks Brad, but I'm not sure. I looked it up, and it seems to be OK for someone who can work their way around a CD Rom. It doesn't seem appropriate for creating menus, links etc.

As for Flash, I think $500 is far too much for the handful of CDRoms I'll do a year!

David