Just heard a nugget - This tuesday the 1st of many

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Okay I'm the first person to say "I hate threads like these" (cause I do) but all the same I wanted to go on record that this tuesdays introduction of the eMac is but the first trickle. From what a friend told me every week from here on out (quite possibly all the way till the end of June!) will bring something new from Apple.

What you ask? Hardware?? Software??? Both???? Fact is, I have no idea and I'm not even sure if my friend does... Okay well he might have some ideas but he's not spilling the beans if he does and I for one wouldn't pressure him to do so...

No silly wagers and if I'm wrong I will NOT eat anything strange! (sorry) - just figured this would make for an interesting thread to keep alive (if I'm right) and if I'm wrong lets hope it just falls off the 1st page really quick.

Dave

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

Is your friend in a position where he might be expected to know such things ?

Well no, he doesn't work for Apple... nor any Apple suppliers well not that was ever revealed to me anyway. I wish I did have a friend like that. Still the person has come up correct with generic type stuff like this in the past. Generic as in no 'finely detailed data' that we all seem to lust for.. and let me redefine friend - 'friend' as in someone I met via web based forums - not friend as in 'come on over for bbq this weekend'.

Dave
  • Reply 2 of 41
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

Well no, he doesn't work for Apple... nor any Apple suppliers well not that was ever revealed to me anyway. I wish I did have a friend like that. Still the person has come up correct with generic type stuff like this in the past. Generic as in no 'finely detailed data' that we all seem to lust for.. and let me redefine friend - 'friend' as in someone I met via web based forums - not friend as in 'come on over for bbq this weekend'.

Dave

Boooring.

It's quite obvious at this point anyways that things will start pouring out of Apple given that nothing new has come out for the past 5 months. The eMac @ 999 is too much a of a good deal when compared to the old iMac, iBook etc. It would be ridiculous if we didn't see new iMacs, new PowerMacs, new PowerBooks, new iBooks before the end of June.
  • Reply 3 of 41
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Well, that's 10 announcements.

I suppose next week's will be the Shake update at NAB.

4/27 could be the 1.33GHz iMac G4 update...

5/4 could be the 1.33GHz Powerbook G4 update...

5/11 could be iBooks at up to 1.25GHz...

er... ah... 80GB iPods?

Help me out here. Do security updates count?

I always wonder about these folks walking around with beans to spill; they never spill any, they only give hints.
  • Reply 4 of 41
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    I dunno, I see it as a very plausible thing to happen. Apple is really silent for a while then wham!! bam!! one! two! how do you do?
  • Reply 5 of 41
    Quote:

It's Quagmire isn't it ?

God, for someone with just a hundred something posts he sure is well known.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

It's Quagmire isn't it ?

• Reply 7 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

I always wonder about these folks walking around with beans to spill; they never spill any, they only give hints.

Simple my good man ...

People who know 'FOR SURE' are deep under the control of an NDA and who in their right mind would break and NDA all for joy of leaking something. Would you risk your job for that? I know I wouldn't - I like many have a family that depends on me. This is why you'll see few if any detailed long term rumors and so many generic ones.

As for what could be released? Your guess is as good as mine but looking at the state of Apples hardware line just about everything and anything is due for a goose of some type.

eMacs - done

iBooks - sure

PowerBooks - sure

iMacs - sure (January 20" bump doesn't count in my book)

PowerMacs - sure (I'd gang up any new displays with a new PM intro but who knows maybe not)

iPods - well sure they could be game for an update too...

And for the wanna-believe crowd... (I have founding member status)

Apple Projector?

Apple Home Theater Device? (TIVO type device)

Apple Tablet?

Apple PDA?

Apple Cell Phone?

On the software side...

Apple's NAB news is due this weekend and reports of updates to Shake and a host of other A/V type apps have been making the rounds so that'll kill one week for sure/.

Also if the rumored release date of 10.4 is right (Dec / Jan is what everyone seems to think) then maybe an iApp or 2 might make it's way out...

iChat, iCal, iTunes, iMovie, iDVD, iPhoto, Safari, surely one or more of those could see a bump - in some cases a minor bump and in some cases a major. What about stuff like Keynote now there's an app that I'm sure people would love to see a tad more mature WRT it's feature set. It's a great start but it's well over a year since it's introduction (going on 2 now?).

Dave
  • Reply 8 of 41
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    A new announcement a week? Could be. But without Apple sending out Special Event invites to the press (which they have done in the past when there was no scheduled events such as WWDC or MWSF) I kind of doubt we'll see anything really new until that happens. A new form iMac, it seems to me, wouldn't just pop up on the Apple site without any fanfare (such as the upgraded eMac just did). Just my thoughts.
  • Reply 9 of 41
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    Quote:

Simple my good man ...

People who know 'FOR SURE' are deep under the control of an NDA and who in their right mind would break and NDA all for joy of leaking something. Would you risk your job for that? I know I wouldn't - I like many have a family that depends on me. This is why you'll see few if any detailed long term rumors and so many generic ones.

As for what could be released? Your guess is as good as mine but looking at the state of Apples hardware line just about everything and anything is due for a goose of some type.

Someone told you something (but you son't know what) and your evidence is to create a thread that summarizes all of the rumors on the web for the past 3 weeks with NO additional information that might substantiate any of that info.

So basically you are saying that you know nothing like everyone else. And chances are, you know less than that...

Thanks for the update buddy!
  • Reply 10 of 41
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by buckeye

Someone told you something (but you son't know what) and your evidence is to create a thread that summarizes all of the rumors on the web for the past 3 weeks with NO additional information that might substantiate any of that info.

Just out of idle curiosity, which rumors on which sites predict a release every week until June?

I haven't seen one.
  • Reply 11 of 41
    Quote:

Thanks for the update buddy!

Your post reminded me of something my grandpa would say to my grandma: If you don't like it lump it!

Oh and have a super rest of the day...

D
  • Reply 12 of 41
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

God, for someone with just a hundred something posts he sure is well known.

<Ferris Bueller>

It's just that each post of his is... so.... *choice*

Making up percentages, advocating assassination, melting powerbooks, how can a person like that not be (in)famous?

• Reply 13 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Just out of idle curiosity, which rumors on which sites predict a release every week until June?

I haven't seen one.

I can't find it at the moment, and I have too much to do right now than search anymore. Anyway, it was a post just like this on another forum, not posted to a front page.

6 straight weeks of product announcements. Is that Hardware, software or ANY product? Software update?
  • Reply 14 of 41
    Quote:

I can't find it at the moment, and I have too much to do right now than search anymore. Anyway, it was a post just like this on another forum, not posted to a front page.

6 straight weeks of product announcements. Is that Hardware, software or ANY product? Software update?

Mainly I think it is problem of free speech (which is inherent) on a board like this. It would seem like every so often someone suggests a possible date from MacWorld Jan, to WWDC. Apple has been known to update in March/April, but the only thing that I can recall was to release a redesigned iBook. Pretty cool, but I think that Apple would be saving more stuff for WWDC, especially with this year being what it is.

Somethings are coming out this Tuesday. Why would you or anyone say this? Something could very well be coming out Tuesday. A few weeks from now, maybe even in the summer. Is WWDC on a Tuesday? Hearing a release date not associated with anything in particular usually means anything, and literally anything could be released that day.

Could be that Microsoft might release a critical update on that day. Oh whoa, that's right...that happens everyday.

This thread happens to be one of the better ones, as it's associating something with a date. For the most part, random date rumors are bogus, from what I've found. Yes, disclaimers help credibility. I love the ones that say that there is going to be new release and everyone will want me to be their friend because of it; and usually they quietly dig their grave afterwards.

Dave, your merely posting what you heard. This is highly commendable, and well explained. You are clearly not in the majority of obvious made-up dates. Will it happen or not, the answers obvious. Yes and No. You gotta still love that.

well, I've written too much, stop for now.

-walloo.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by willywalloo

Mainly I think it is problem of free speech (which is inherent) on a board like this.

Dave, your merely posting what you heard. This is highly commendable, and well explained. You are clearly not in the majority of obvious made-up dates. Will it happen or not, the answers obvious. Yes and No. You gotta still love that.

-walloo.

My point is this: making statements like the following seem relevantly pointless. Is it really "highly commendable" to start a discussion like this:

Quote:

What you ask? Hardware?? Software??? Both???? Fact is, I have no idea and I'm not even sure if my friend does... Okay well he might have some ideas but he's not spilling the beans if he does and I for one wouldn't pressure him to do so...

The fact that he ADMITS that he has "no idea" yet uses this information, or lack there of, to start a new thread, seems contradictory.

To me this is not exactly "well explained". I hope that Apple decides to release a product every week for the next 6 weeks also, but nothing about the original post leads me to believe that this will happen.
  • Reply 16 of 41
    Quote:

To me this is not exactly "well explained". I hope that Apple decides to release a product every week for the next 6 weeks also, but nothing about the original post leads me to believe that this will happen.

First some background - unlike some, in all the years I've been here I've never make shit up for the fun of it... Just never saw the point in it. Over the years I've also had some excellent insight (read as 'sources') into quite a few things including well over a year+ of knowing about the G5 and what it REALLY was all the while most of the mac fans were STILL look at MOT for their wet-dream G5 CPU. I had kept my promise to keep it on the QT till just before IBMs announcement at the CPU forum. Then and only then was I told I could have 'some' fun hinting about it. Since then my source left IBM and I'm just as much in the dark as the rest of you (darn it) but at the time if you read my posts carefully enough you would have gotten what I was saying but anyway...

You know what... never mind... I don't need to explain MY actions to YOU... who the HELL do you think you are anyway? The Pope??

I have just as much right to post ON TOPIC messages to this forum as you do to post what ever it is you post about. If your posts in this thread are any indication you seem to like to bitch a lot and hey if that's what floats your boat have at it my friend just don't expect me to respond anymore.

Dave
  • Reply 17 of 41
    Quote:

Okay I'm the first person to say "I hate threads like these" (cause I do) but all the same I wanted to go on record that this tuesdays introduction of the eMac is but the first trickle. From what a friend told me every week from here on out (quite possibly all the way till the end of June!) will bring something new from Apple.

No silly wagers and if I'm wrong I will NOT eat anything strange! (sorry) - just figured this would make for an interesting thread to keep alive (if I'm right) and if I'm wrong lets hope it just falls off the 1st page really quick.

Dave

YA YA YA YA YAYAYYYYYY@@!!!!! @#%@ YA ^@#^@ YEAH YEA HEYAH YEAGYHEAKFNBLUUURRAAAHHHHHHH!!HAHA!!!poop
  • Reply 18 of 41
    Quote:

First some background - unlike some, in all the years I've been here I've never make shit up for the fun of it... Just never saw the point in it. Over the years I've also had some excellent insight (read as 'sources') into quite a few things including well over a year+ of knowing about the G5 and what it REALLY was all the while most of the mac fans were STILL look at MOT for their wet-dream G5 CPU. I had kept my promise to keep it on the QT till just before IBMs announcement at the CPU forum. Then and only then was I told I could have 'some' fun hinting about it. Since then my source left IBM and I'm just as much in the dark as the rest of you (darn it) but at the time if you read my posts carefully enough you would have gotten what I was saying but anyway...

If all of your other posts used vague language that hints at "confirmed" announcements in this cryptic style, well then I guess maybe I would have a clue as to what you were saying. But, I can't speak to your previous predictions as I haven't read them. Ultimately, it should not be a necessity to review the catalogue of ones posts over the years to understand what they are talking about.

I merely pointed out, as part of the discussion, that I could not see why this particular post should be taken with anymore relevancy than anything from anyone else who has posted predictions. After all, you yourself said that you might not even know what you are talking about. But now that I understand that this is your carefully calculated "style", it makes slightly more sense.

Quote:

You know what... never mind... I don't need to explain MY actions to YOU... who the HELL do you think you are anyway? The Pope??

Dave

I never asked you to explain your actions although your latest rant might just explain it all...

Anyway, you have as much right to post your predictions as I have to question their validity or relevance. THAT is how these forums work. I am sorry you are so sensitive and that you have a hard time responding to other people's inquiries.

For the record I hope your "predictions" come true.

Also, for the record, I am not the Pope.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

I can see it now, the Apple home page announcing the fix for the MP3 trojan nonsense. Maybe even Jobs doing a live webcast discussing what a bunch of boners work at Intego.

Thanks, that Software Update announcement line made me nearly piss myself.
  • Reply 20 of 41
    Quote:

Dave

Well, I wouldn't be surprised. In Apple's analyst conference call they said that they weren't happy with IBM as that was the sole constraint on Xserve G5 sales which meant they couldn't ship until the last week of the quarter. When asked if IBM was now "ramped up" and would 90nm supply be better in the next quarter, they said that they believed that they would be "ramping up" through the quarter and expected to be in a balanced supply/demand position by the end of the current quarter according to their current demand estimates.

I read this to mean that they expect supply of the 90nm part to meet all 90nm parts demand by the end of the quarter, which would include more than just the Xserve G5s unless you expect Xserve demand to be in the 100s of thousands through the next quarter.

This is based on the assumption that once IBM is fully "ramped up" they can and will be producing about 10-20k CPUs a week. That would way exceed Xserve G5 demand, so they'd have to do something with all the other chips, eh?