no ipods till q4

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In today's call, Apple said they expect ipod inventory to be constrained till q4...not much inventory in q3. Bad news hopefully there will be enough for Dad's and grads.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    Even though I don't do it much but, can I see PROOF?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

Even though I don't do it much but, can I see PROOF?

I *think* Jade meant to speak with respect to the iPod mini, but I'm not sure. I don't think they said anything about the regualr iPods being constrained.

From Maccentral

"iPod is in reasonable supply/demand balance in every geography right now. On the mini it is not in balance," (noting the previously announced plan to wait on international deliveries). Fiscal Q4 is when Apple will achieve balance on that, and "will do whatever it takes" to make that happen.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Isnt this technically the financial Q3? If so, that means this current Q is Q4. New iPods will come in this Q...even if the new iPods are just the HP iPods.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    salmonstksalmonstk Posts: 568member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

Isnt this technically the financial Q3? If so, that means this current Q is Q4. New iPods will come in this Q...even if the new iPods are just the HP iPods.

I thought they said that HP pods won't be shipping for a while. Do you think that means they are waiting for the next generation iPod?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

Wow, people are getting pretty confused in this thread!

Let me try to set things straight:

1) The supply problem is just with the iPod mini, not the white iPod or the HP music player

2) The quarter just ended was Apple's financial Q2. That means that we are now at the beginning of their Q3. The statement from Apple was that iPod mini supply would not meet demand during this quarter, but it will by the beginning of Q4. In other words, it's going to be difficult to get an iPod mini for the next three months if you haven't ordered one already.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Yes, we just started Q3 and the iPod mini will be difficult to get. We should see a new 4th generation iPod (really 3rd generation imho) from Apple before HP releases their iPod clone. The HP version is based on the current iPod while the one Apple will sell should be the color version with iPhoto syncing. This will add value to the Apple version.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    Regular ipods are currently in reasonable supply...but since Dads and grads is only 3 months away, I hop all ipods will be in full supply to correspond with this hot selling gadget season. If there is a photo-pod, it would be a great time to release it, because Digital cameras have their hughest sales int the dads and grads season. Think of the cool promos....buy a Canon Elph and save $50 if purchased with a new ipod. Display your pics on your 'pod, and leave your notebook at home.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    "constrained inventory" doesn't mean no iPod minis, it means limited quantities of them until then. Just to make that clear.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    5 ipod minis a week to best buys...you might as well not ship them. constrained is just as good ad nono. My local apple stores have been getting 20 or less per week. Pretty pointless shipments.