Scooters

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Who knows about scooters here? You know like a Vespa or a Honda scooters. I think I want one to get to work and back. The bus is great but doesn't run often enough for me and only every hour after 7:00pm. Plus a scooter more fun.

I only need to go 2 miles to work on 40 MPH roads. What engine size do I need in terms of ccs. Is 4 stroke so much better than 2 for the rider? I'm guessing a good used one is more than enough for my needs.

I searched google but didn't find the information I wanted.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    can you walk the two miles?

granted that will only do in the warmer months...
  • Reply 2 of 17
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I want to get to work faster not slower.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    its two miles scott...

i drive 30 minutes so i can walk two miles a day to work...
  • Reply 4 of 17
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    There are a lot of reasons for wanting a scooter even if it's a short walk.

1) You don't have to get up super early just to make it to work on time.

2) You don't show up at work all sweaty (this would apply for those really hot summer days where just being outside for more than 15 minutes leaves you soaked with sweat)

3) VERY useful when it's cold out

4) Roads may be unfriendly to pedestrians

5) Walking home at night could be unsafe

Anyway, I would love one as well but I can't afford one. Good luck finding a good one though, Scott. I've seen plenty on my campus here (University of Minnesota) and they look like a lot of fun. I can't see myself ever needing more of a vehicle than that as long as I live in the city.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Plus I want to go from our two buildings we work from fast and easy.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    alright alright....

i was playing devils advocate...
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Yea. Plus I work in a Hospital and wear nice clothes to work and don't want to change and ... Somedays I need to be in at 6:30 and other days I work 14 hours to 10pm. Walking or riding my bike isn't the solution I was looking for.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    Scott, I've been wanting to live in the south of England for a few months, maybe in a year or so - next summer. Devon and/or Cornwall.

I was thinking of buying some kind of motorbike once I get there, something light enough that I could lift it and put it on a train, or into the trunk of a rental car.

For one thing, a motorbike wouldn't get stuck in traffic. It would be perfect for traveling on lesser roads when visiting villages. A rental car would be too expensive for three months, and a bicycle wouldn't be practical for the steep hills where I plan to go.

I haven't looked into this yet though. I think your scooter idea is perfect for your purposes. However, I need something that would be easy for me to lift.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    If you're looking for a Vespa or Lambretta (ie:old-school-cool), look to Chicago. If not, there's this new dealer in Holland that has pretty sweet stuff. I think the bikes are called 'People's' or 'Simple' or something like that. I've seen a few around and they're very nice looking. I'm thinking about picking up a couple myself.

If I can Google the place or remember the name I'll let you know.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    I lived in Chicago and there didn't seem to be a lot of scooter users there. I didn't live on the north side though so maybe all those trendy north siders are using them and I wouldn't know it. Riding their faggity scooters to Cubs games.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Damn. I thought I could find it easily. Well, there's a chick I run into at Martha's that rides one, I'll see if I can't get the info from her.

What's your price range? These are probably running 2~3G. An older 250CC Honda (don't get a Spree, get an Elite) is going to be 750-1200 depending on the condition, so that might be better if it's just a 'daily driver'.

Although, if you want to be 'sex on wheels'...get a Velocette.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Used should be cheap right? $2k is hard to justify for something that mostly just for fun. Wife has not given her input yet.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    The small wheels of scooters make them inherently unstable. If you absolutely need motorized transport of this type, buy a small motorcycle, not a scooter.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    segway?
  • Reply 15 of 17
    To he!! with a scooter. Why not paint your arse pink and wear a bonnet on your head. I highly recommend one of these

Enter Man World

J/K by the way. Scooters are fun!
  • Reply 16 of 17
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Who knows about scooters here? You know like a Vespa or a Honda scooters. I think I want one to get to work and back. The bus is great but doesn't run often enough for me and only every hour after 7:00pm. Plus a scooter more fun.

I only need to go 2 miles to work on 40 MPH roads. What engine size do I need in terms of ccs. Is 4 stroke so much better than 2 for the rider? I'm guessing a good used one is more than enough for my needs.

I searched google but didn't find the information I wanted.

2-Stroke requires a gas/oil mix. It's a bit of a hassle. The 4 stroke is gas only and is easier.

Almost always I would recommend the 4 stroke. The top speed isn't so imporant if you know you're going to be on 40 MPH roads, but acceleration is going to be better with a 4 stroke. That's what you need to avoid accidents. When some idiot car starts to change lanes right beside you, you need the kick to push past them.

Check out the Stella, or the Vespa. Both are solid machines.

www.scooterworks.com

Here in Chicago.

Or...

http://www.genuinescooters.com/

http://www.vespausa.com/
  • Reply 17 of 17
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    You need to get a license to ride anything bigger than 50cc. However, a 50cc scooter will get close to 40mph, but stay away from hills.

You can also just spring for a Ninja 250 or 500 motorcycle, 1 or 2 years used. They are ubiquitous and cheap used since they have a reputation as being excellent "starter" bikes. The riding position is neutral, so they're not a pain to ride at slow speeds, and since you'll need a license anyway, you may as well get something that isn't powered by estrogen.