how competitive is Xserve?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
i'd like to know a little bit more about what the release of the Xserve means to it's section of the marketplace, who it's competitors are, and how they compare. I've read the stuff on apple.com but i'd like to hear the opinions of people on here about it. Plus I'm pretty clueless when it comes to server hardware. This seems like an interesting move by Apple and I'd like to know more about it. Thanks.

PS: Sorry if this has already been posted, there was an error last time i tried this.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Xserve is pretty competitive.

Typically you will see Single Proc 1U X86 Servers at roughly 2449.00 average. This usually does not include the OS(U must choose your own) and many times does not include a HD. Adding another Proc to go Dual is roughly $900 for a Pentium III.

Xserve comes with OSX Server with unlimited Licenses.

It comes with a minimum 60GB HD

It comes with Dual Gigabit Ethernet.

Honestly Apples first foray into Rack Optimized Servers is compelling. Sure it uses ATA instead of SCSI but with the forthcoming XServe RAID I don't think that will matter too much.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    How does the performance compare?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Performance wise, the Xserve would seem to be right at the top. If the goal is to use it as a scientific cluster or whatnot, then the Altivec will kick in, and it will blow away pretty much anything else out there. A big stack of Xserve's puts out a lot of GFlops for the price.