Inside Info...no seriously, it is.

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
A friend of mine, whose father went to school with Steve and still communicates with him occasionally, told me some info about the upcoming Powerbook and iBook revisions.

Apparently the updates are "nothing too special, but Apple will try to make them seem bigger". He also said that there were supposed to be some new displays of some kind. He is going to ask his father for more info this evening. Hopefully I can find out more tomorrow.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    My prediction: Dr. X won't be getting any more emails from Steve.

[Edited out the name, now that Messiahtosh has done so. Although, I still think MORE of that info should be removed. It's not hard to figure out who the person is, with a bit of help from Google.]
  • Reply 2 of 51
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    EDIT: Okay you removed it. Thank you.

Of course, if anyone who knows this guy were to read it, they would know who it is, but thanks for removing his name.
  • Reply 3 of 51
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    YOU IDIOT: why not give his email address, isp, and ssn, geese, you dont reveal your sources to that extent. just say "a person in the know"
  • Reply 4 of 51
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

YOU IDIOT: why not give his email address, isp, and ssn, geese, you dont reveal your sources to that extent. just say "a person in the know"

Its public info anyway.

PowerBooks/iBooks and an accompanying new display? We'll see...
  • Reply 5 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

Its public info anyway

still man, if you have an inside track, DONT SHOW YOUR CARDS...ur uh wait a minute...Wanna play poker sometime?
  • Reply 6 of 51
    Quote:

still man, if you have an inside track, DONT SHOW YOUR CARDS...ur uh wait a minute...Wanna plat poker sometime?

Personally, I dont give a shit, this is all for fun. I chose to show my hand, and the cards I'm holding cant make ME lose.
  • Reply 7 of 51
    Quote:

Its public info anyway

The link between Dr. X and Mr. Jobs is not.

You could have easily just said, "I am friends with the son of an old school-mate of Steve's". That would have been obtuse enough to mask the connection, and also enough info to let us know that it may be legitimate.

Quote:

Personally, I dont give a shit, this is all for fun. I chose to show my hand, and the cards I'm holding cant make ME lose.

No, they could make Dr. X lose. Glad you're not thinking of him.
  • Reply 8 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

My prediction: Dr. X won't be getting any more emails from Steve.

[Edited out the name, now that Messiahtosh has done so. Although, I still think MORE of that info should be removed. It's not hard to figure out who the person is, with a bit of help from Google.]

forget google, just ask steve which college buddys he still talks to.
  • Reply 9 of 51
    Uhm, who cares? I just want to be right once and thats all. If i reveal my source completely i will only be right once, fine.

It was the sources choice to leak this to someone, who leaked it to me. That was their flaw, not mine. I exposed it, so be it.
  • Reply 10 of 51
    Quote:

yes but you could hurrt a friendship of a friends father, and there goes your inside track, if he knows anything about anything, he sure as hell woldnt tell you
  • Reply 11 of 51
    Should I care about this person, if they are the ones revealing this inside info to children? That seems irresponsible to me, and should be stopped, maybe the only way for that to happen is if the person who leaks this from the beginning gets cut off. In effect, I would be cut off to, but then Apple is all the better for it.
  • Reply 12 of 51
    Quote:

Rumors are childish, this is all in good fun.

I am just saying that as much info as you gave about the informant, he could loose a friend, then you will undoubtedly loose a friend, but if backstabbing a friend is "good fun" Thats great friendship right there.
  • Reply 13 of 51
    Quote:

I am just saying that as much info as you gave about the informant, he could loose a friend, then you will undoubtedly loose a friend, but if backstabbing a friend is "good fun" Thats great friendship right there.

Ok, shut up. We are aquantinces, not good friends. We say hi to each other. If someone who isnt even a close friend with me just tells me such things because he knows I have an interest, that person is dangerous. Am I right?
  • Reply 14 of 51
    Quote:

Should I care about this person, if they are the ones revealing this inside info to children? That seems irresponsible to me, and should be stopped, maybe the only way for that to happen is if the person who leaks this from the beginning gets cut off. In effect, I would be cut off to, but then Apple is all the better for it.

You are equally as irresponsible. You have made it clear that info like this cannot be trusted to children and have thus proved your point.
  • Reply 15 of 51
    Quote:

You are equally as irresponsible. You have made it clear that info like this cannot be trusted to children and have thus proved your point.

Exactly.
  • Reply 16 of 51
    Here's a sanitized version of the first post in this thread:

Quote:

A friend of mine, whose father went to school with Steve and still communicates with him occasionally, told me some info about the upcoming Powerbook and iBook revisions.

Apparently the updates are "nothing too special, but Apple will try to make them seem bigger". He also said that there were supposed to be some new displays of some kind. He is going to ask his father for more info this evening. Hopefully I can find out more tomorrow.

• Reply 17 of 51
    Quote:

Exactly.

Haha. I hope you were posting that reply with some sense of self-awareness.
  • Reply 18 of 51
    Quote:

Here's a sanitized version of the first post in this thread:

I edited it because that seems to be what people want, censorship. Hopefully it even comes true.
  • Reply 19 of 51
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    It's not "censorship", Mrs. Jobs.

It's just a bit much - and kinda squirmy feeling - to name someone on a board with them not knowing it. It might wreck a friendship of his, yours, etc.

I wouldn't want someone in a forum I've never visited or know about rat me out or give my name as the source of some inside info that relates to me and a friend, casual or otherwise.

If my friend was a designer at Fender and he told me some funky new digital guitar that was coming out and I went and mentioned it to another buddy and that "buddy" went to some guitar/musician geek online forum and said "Hey, Paul Scates from Tennessee said that Fender is about to..." I'd be LIVID. Especially if it was a site that my Fender friend might come across. He'd hate me then, as much as I hated my blabbermouth other buddy.

Same thing here.

Bad form AND manners, without his permission/knowledge. Just nod and agree, because I'm right on this.

• Reply 20 of 51
    nevynnevyn Posts: 360member
    Quote:

It was the sources choice to leak this to someone, who leaked it to me. That was their flaw, not mine. I exposed it, so be it.

"My wife's in the CIA, yeah, hey, everyone knows that, no one knows her maiden name though, so we're cool."

"Hey, yeah, my personal bio on my website lists my wife's maiden name."

Neither of those are especially troubling - until you connect the dots.

Burning a longterm friendship between a mover/shaker and a 'friend' of yours is an amazingly callous thing to do to win a pissing match.