To PB or not to PB

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Okay guys. I have been with apple for about six months now...i think...and so far I have a 600 iBook combo and an 800 iMac Superdrive. I love the iMac speed and appreciate the iBook's size (but the speed just sucks!!!) Now that I see that I can function completely with Apple (and love doing so), I realize that I need/want more speed for my laptop. So, my question is how does the powerbook compare to the iMac 800? I love the snappiness of the iMac but I know laptops are usually slower that equal processor speed desktops (please no mhz myth bashing ). So does the L3 cache help on benchmarks compared with the iMac????

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    Based on the benchmarks at <a href="http://www.barefeats.com"; target="_blank">Barefeats</a>, it appears that the new 667 Powerbook is actually faster than an iMac 800, due to it's bigger cache, faster system bus, and better graphics card. And, from personal usage, it's a great machine.

[ 06-11-2002: Message edited by: agent302 ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 5
    tristantristan Posts: 79member
    [quote]Originally posted by agent302:

<strong>Based on the benchmarks at <a href="http://www.barefeats.com"; target="_blank">Barefeats</a>, it appears that the new 667 Powerbook is actually faster than an iMac 800, due to it's bigger cache, faster system bus, and better graphics card. And, from personal usage, it's a great machine.

[ 06-11-2002: Message edited by: agent302 ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU..........Thats just what I needed to convince myself that I need a new powerbook. From the looks of the benchmarks that thing is pretty awesome! YIPPEE

• Reply 3 of 5
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    I am currently leaning towards a Ti for editing movies and I will use my iMac to make them into DVDs.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I believe in some tests, the TiBook 800MHz actually beat the Power Mac G4/800. That's quite an accomplishment. I think it has to do with the cache.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    If you get the PB, send me your iBook. The 600MHz ones are faster than my 500MHz.