Fonts!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm using OS 9 fonts and want to install them in OS X, what extension is needed! I'm using 10.3.3 and Font Book! I can't remember any extensions apart from .ttf and .dfont and it's not them! Thank you very much for your help \

Edit:

Apple Help say that you don't need to add any extension to OS 9 fonts, but they just appear as Unix commands if nothing is added! Please help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    MacCrazy,

Why don't you just leave your OS 9 fonts installed in OS 9 because OS X applications can use fonts installed in Classic. I am using 10.2.6 and so I don't know how it affects FontBook but I would imagine that FontBook will still see your fonts installed in Classic.

I don't think you need to add the extension to your fonts you just need to put them in the correct place. There are 4 or 5 different places that you can put fonts in OS X depending on your intended use for them.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dr VanNostran

MacCrazy,

Why don't you just leave your OS 9 fonts installed in OS 9 because OS X applications can use fonts installed in Classic. I am using 10.2.6 and so I don't know how it affects FontBook but I would imagine that FontBook will still see your fonts installed in Classic.

I don't think you need to add the extension to your fonts you just need to put them in the correct place. There are 4 or 5 different places that you can put fonts in OS X depending on your intended use for them.

They ARE is the OS 9 folder! Apple just doesn't recognise them as fonts, they appear as a 'Unix Executable File.' My old fonts did work in OS X when in the folder, these don't! When i boot in OS 9 they're still not recognised. (They came from an 8.6 machine). It doesn't make any sense! Is there an extension which will solve this?

Edit: .suit is one of the OS 9 extensions, it doesn't work in OS X, but that only covers about three of my fonts, i have 450!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    You've got a bigger problem than file extensions.

I believe you've somehow managed to strip the resource fork from those font files, rendering them completely useless. Most likely, this was done by using a terminal command like "cp", creating a tar or other unixy archive that doesn't preserve forked files, using some horrible third-party backup software that does one of the previous two, or copying the files over a medium that doesn't preserve forked files.

Consider those files a permanently lost cause now.

If the resource fork was still properly intact, they would:
    • still work in Mac OS 9

• appear as normal font files in Mac OS X

• and load automatically with the rest of the fonts in Mac OS X

Sorry to bear the bad news. I hope you have the original files somewhere in a proper archive.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

You've got a bigger problem than file extensions.

I believe you've somehow managed to strip the resource fork from those font files, rendering them completely useless. Most likely, this was done by using a terminal command like "cp", creating a tar or other unixy archive that doesn't preserve forked files, using some horrible third-party backup software that does one of the previous two, or copying the files over a medium that doesn't preserve forked files.

Consider those files a permanently lost cause now.

If the resource fork was still properly intact, they would:still work in Mac OS 9
    appear as normal font files in Mac OS X
    and load automatically with the rest of the fonts in Mac OS X
    Sorry to bear the bad news. I hope you have the original files somewhere in a proper archive.

I just started up in OS 9 and I took the fonts from the Zip Disk and they now work! However, i tried to use Font Book in OS X to make sure the fonts were on OS X as well (Don;t ask why!, I HATE FONT BOOK!) and now i have copies all over my computer, but some fonts wont work in OS 9, even though they're in the Font folder in the system folder! Do you know what to do?