panther problems?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
i just installed panther. everytime i download something or put in a cd it appears in the exact same place on the desktop, the lower right hand corner. it just keeps stacking up the files. is a new feature that i should know about?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    tekmatetekmate Posts: 134member
    Mine doesn't do that. Is it a new install or an upgrade? Any after market hardware in the system?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TekMate

Mine doesn't do that. Is it a new install or an upgrade? Any after market hardware in the system?

i wiped the drive completely. no after market hardware
  • Reply 3 of 6
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Panther messes up icon placement on the desktop in lots of ways. Sometimes I can't move things. They appear to move for a split second then "snap" back. Panther is flakier than a box of Wheaties.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I had that happen on my G5. I turned off snapping and changed the icon size slightly and it was fixed. When I have snapping on, my icons disappear after I select them. Easy way to hide secret files.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    i should mention that after i did the clean install, i think the computer locked up and i had to do a hard boot. maybe that messed things up. or maybe it's this snap feature. i'll have to figure that out

edit: snap was off on mine but i did change the icon size and it works how it's supposed to. very weird!

thanks for the help
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Attention users:

Due to the influx of Mac OS X related threads, we have created a forum specifically for them. Now to christen that forum, I shall move this thread there immediately!