PowerMac G5... updates on there way?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Well here is some interesting news... take it for what it's worth.

After waiting since January for my Rev. B PowerMac I caved in and ordered a Dual 1.8 G5 last Thursday. The estimated ship date was 3-5 days since I custom configured it. Anyways, after the order was approved they marked the ship date as April 16th (today). Well, being excited to actually have a computer again I checked my order status this morning and noticed that the PowerMac order had be CANCLED.

That's right, apple cancled my order and then replaced the order as a different item. When calling apple about the issue and asking what had happened. The person said that Apple was in the process of up dating their products/systems and needed to relist the PowerMac G5 on my order.

So this might make for a suprise PowerMac announcement at NAB (which would be nice seeing my PowerMac has now been delayed another 5 days). But this wishful thinking is what I've been doing since January and see where it's gotten me. I should have just bought that Dang computer and been happy for the last 4 months. Oh well.

So anyone think this might mean an update might occur for the PowerMAc before the WWDC?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Maybe just the implementation of the 8x Superdrive?
  • Reply 2 of 42
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    either way it's good news for you....
  • Reply 3 of 42
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Nice to hear. I think the general concensus is for announcements at WWDC, but I could be wrong. Have a look at the threads already here.
  • Reply 4 of 42
    Yeah, I doubt it means anything bad for you, maybe the waiting more for nothing could be bad but I bet you'll get something out of it.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KCOM2006

Well here is some interesting news... take it for what it's worth.

After waiting since January for my Rev. B PowerMac I caved in and ordered a Dual 1.8 G5 last Thursday. The estimated ship date was 3-5 days since I custom configured it. Anyways, after the order was approved they marked the ship date as April 16th (today). Well, being excited to actually have a computer again I checked my order status this morning and noticed that the PowerMac order had be CANCLED.

That's right, apple cancled my order and then replaced the order as a different item. When calling apple about the issue and asking what had happened. The person said that Apple was in the process of up dating their products/systems and needed to relist the PowerMac G5 on my order.

So this might make for a suprise PowerMac announcement at NAB (which would be nice seeing my PowerMac has now been delayed another 5 days). But this wishful thinking is what I've been doing since January and see where it's gotten me. I should have just bought that Dang computer and been happy for the last 4 months. Oh well.

So anyone think this might mean an update might occur for the PowerMAc before the WWDC?

looks like my call was right in january, when i started saying that PM updates come at NAB, guess we'll know this time tomorrow
  • Reply 6 of 42
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Would they actually roll out new gear - major update or otherwise - on a weekend? That's unusual sounding...have they done that before?

• Reply 7 of 42
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Would they actually roll out new gear - major update or otherwise - on a weekend? That's unusual sounding...have they done that before?

shake, dvd sp and fcp last year do why not out do themselves and go for the gusto, besides wwdc will bring the many great things that steve spoke of at macworld if my gut is right. they have to go to 8x superdrive before july - so why not use the nab hype, who better to push faster dvd burning to than video guys
  • Reply 8 of 42
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

looks like my call was right in january, when i started saying that PM updates come at NAB, guess we'll know this time tomorrow

I don't think so. Apple is in serious trouble trying to get processors. They are probably doing all that they can to faster G4's for updates (that will get totally scoffed at because it's G4) so they have something new in the pipeline. I don't think they are going to make 3GHz by WWDC. No new PowerMacs in time. It's gonna suck. I think we'll see some new software though.
  • Reply 9 of 42
    Due to an unexpected supply delay, we are unable to ship the following

item(s) by the date that you were originally quoted:

, PMG5 1.8DP CTO

will now ship on or before 04/28/2004
  • Reply 10 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by KCOM2006

Due to an unexpected supply delay, we are unable to ship the following

item(s) by the date that you were originally quoted:

Z09Y, PMG5 1.8DP CTO

will now ship on or before 04/28/2004

I wonder if this is simply related to the Elk Grove plant shutdown?

-John
  • Reply 11 of 42
    The only truth is that we dont know the truth. But, the truth will set us free....from this rumor hell we are currently in.
  • Reply 12 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by whoami

either way it's good news for you....

Yeah, very good news indeed!
  • Reply 13 of 42
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    IBM has been unable to produce a sufficient amount of G5s so Apple is downgrading their PowerMac line to G4s. That's what you're getting on the 28th.
  • Reply 14 of 42
    xsmixsmi Posts: 139member
    Interesting indeed... If you order a standard configuration G5 you also get a 3-5 business day wait. It used to be same day delivery.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

IBM has been unable to produce a sufficient amount of G5s so Apple is downgrading their PowerMac line to G4s. That's what you're getting on the 28th.

hahhah. PWNED!
  • Reply 16 of 42
    I hope we have some updates tomorrow.....G5 updates.....I don't know if I can hold out till' WWDC....I'm running Windoze here.....it's a nightmare!!
  • Reply 17 of 42
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    I will cry if we don't get 3 Ghz G5's by WWDC.

Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol:

IBM has been unable to produce a sufficient amount of G5s so Apple is downgrading their PowerMac line to G4s. That's what you're getting on the 28th

I think that this makes all of us who lived through the G4 Speed Dump cringe in pain. Please never say that, my brain can't take it cuz I'll get horrible flashbacks to those times.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    what exactly happened then?
  • Reply 19 of 42
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Crusader

I will cry if we don't get 3 Ghz G5's by WWDC.

I don't like to say it, but you will need some Kleenex.

Quote:

I think that this makes all of us who lived through the G4 Speed Dump cringe in pain. Please never say that, my brain can't take it cuz I'll get horrible flashbacks to those times.

This is the second time in the last years that Apple makes a major change in its high end CPU, first with the G4, now with the G5. And the history seems to repeat itself. Something like a curse .
  • Reply 20 of 42
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Hey, wait a second -- what are the part numbers for the old and the new systems?

The way things are going, I think there will be a Rev. B G5, with speeds like 1.8D, 2.0D, 2.3D, and then a 2.6D model added around WWDC. 3GHz will not be seen in calendar 2004.