Portable Battery Life's Future...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I would hope that one day we could just unplug our 'Books and use it hardcore for a week or more straight, at full usage settings. Will that ever be a possibility or will hardware advancements just stay in line with software and battery technology so that there will never be a leap from where we are?

Currently, battery life seems to be the only drawback to a "real" portable computer. Now, I must admit that most people including me, would never really NEED to be portable too much longer than we are currently able to be, but it would be nice, right? Going to the library, or to a cafe is currently rather painless, the battery is suitable for that. Going to a park or being on the road might not be so good, especially if you do something dumb like forgeting the power adapter.

So, are there any initiatives going on out there in the world of tech, are companies like Hitachi or Sony (whoever develops this stuff) working on any major advancements for battery life/endurance?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    somehow i don't think we'll get 10 hour battery times for a while. this is because while battery technology improves, battery life will get longer, but at the same time, i think manufacturers will make the battery smaller. for example, let's say we have a battery that lasts twice as long as current lithium technology. instead of having the laptop battery life double, it might increase by only 25%, but the battery will be smaller giving a laptop that is lighter, smaller, and faster.

a perfect example of this are cellphones. they keep on getting more and more features such as cameras, PDA functions, etc. WHY CAN'T THEY MAKE CELLPHONES SMALLER????????? forget the stupid color screen, cameras, and web browsing capabilities. just give me a smaller phone. for the last few years, haven't you noticed that cellphones have stayed about the same size, but have ALOT more features?
  • Reply 2 of 16
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Performa636CD

somehow i don't think we'll get 10 hour battery times for a while. this is because while battery technology improves, battery life will get longer, but at the same time, i think manufacturers will make the battery smaller. for example, let's say we have a battery that lasts twice as long as current lithium technology. instead of having the laptop battery life double, it might increase by only 25%, but the battery will be smaller giving a laptop that is lighter, smaller, and faster.

a perfect example of this are cellphones. they keep on getting more and more features such as cameras, PDA functions, etc. WHY CAN'T THEY MAKE CELLPHONES SMALLER????????? forget the stupid color screen, cameras, and web browsing capabilities. just give me a smaller phone. for the last few years, haven't you noticed that cellphones have stayed about the same size, but have ALOT more features?

You have got to be f***ing kidding me. You remind me of the Will Ferrrel skit where he is the fashion guy on the wheelchair with the tiny cell phone the size of a piece of hard candy.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    I rigged my powerbook up with a mr. fusion
  • Reply 4 of 16
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

You have got to be f***ing kidding me. You remind me of the Will Ferrrel skit where he is the fashion guy on the wheelchair with the tiny cell phone the size of a piece of hard candy.

He bursts out laughing in that skit, which is something he rarely ever did. LOL!
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:

are you saying you like cellphones that are 1 inch thick? not me...
  • Reply 6 of 16
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    there are cell phones that are smaller than my pinky, so wtf are you talking about?
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

there are cell phones that are smaller than my pinky, so wtf are you talking about?

where? for how much? are they readily available to consumers?
  • Reply 8 of 16
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    perhaps not as publically available as one would like but they are out there if you look...
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

perhaps not as publically available as one would like but they are out there if you look...

just like there is probably a battery out there that would give laptops an 8 hour use time at maximum capacity, however the batteries might cost $1200?
  • Reply 10 of 16
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

They need to make cellphones for the larger gentalman, I dont mean 500 lbs, or 8 feet tall, I mean cell phones that a male hand bigger than that of say an ompa-lumpa(see willy wanka) I hate "mashing buttons" I wish they sold, as an option for those who wanted it a BIGGER cell phone. when I practicaly need a pin to push the power button, that is some bad design and engeneering on the part of nokia
  • Reply 11 of 16
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

They need to make cellphones for the larger gentalman, I dont mean 500 lbs, or 8 feet tall, I mean cell phones that a male hand bigger than that of say an ompa-lumpa(see willy wanka) I hate "mashing buttons" I wish they sold, as an option for those who wanted it a BIGGER cell phone. when I practicaly need a pin to push the power button, that is some bad design and engeneering on the part of nokia

Amen, I am 5'8" and I want a phone like that.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by oldmacfan

6.1 here, and I dont have barbi doll fingers
  • Reply 13 of 16
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Quote:

Originally posted by oldmacfan

Man, I am 5'8 too, it really sucks. At least we can say so is Tom Cruise and Sylvester Stallone.

My Nokia cell phone gets about 4 days on a charge, I hardly use it though. The phone is crap, no color screen or anything special, though it does send and recieve text messages, haha.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    I have a friend who is "Mr. Cell Phone". I laugh at him all the time about his obsession. He knows his stuff. I personally have no use for a cell phone.

I have had two in my life both supplied by employers, both with direct connect, and both boses got mad at me for not answering while I was driving. I would pull over and call them back, and they would still complain because I wasn't moving to where ever the next FO-emergency was.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Sorry to continue with the off-topic remarks, but I think cell phones are too small too.

I agree with Performa though, that notebook batteries will probably get smaller before they last longer. Look at the 15" Al PowerBook; smaller battery and shorter life than what was in the 15" TiBook.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

So, are there any initiatives going on out there in the world of tech, are companies like Hitachi or Sony (whoever develops this stuff) working on any major advancements for battery life/endurance?