One more iMac G4 revision

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I really think with apples adoption of the 1.5G4 chip in the PB's and the fact that they seem to be having supply/engineering troubles with the 970fx chip, that we will not see a new form G5 iMac for at least one more revision.

Its bad news but expect the next iMac to be as follows:

1.5Ghz G4 17" Combo

1.5Ghz G4 17" Superdrive

1.5Ghz G4 20" Superdrive

Faster RAM, Bus and Graphics, maybe a radeon 9600. No G5 iMac till year end at earliest.

Just my opinion, but Apple has a habit of disappointing now and I've given up on being optimistic on rumours.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 149
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacGraham

I really think with apples adoption of the 1.5G4 chip in the PB's and the fact that they seem to be having supply/engineering troubles with the 970fx chip, that we will not see a new form G5 iMac for at least one more revision.

Its bad news but expect the next iMac to be as follows:

1.5Ghz G4 17" Combo

1.5Ghz G4 17" Superdrive

1.5Ghz G4 20" Superdrive

Faster RAM, Bus and Graphics, maybe a radeon 9600. No G5 iMac till year end at earliest.

Just my opinion, but Apple has a habit of disappointing now and I've given up on being optimistic on rumours.

I refuse to believe that this will happen. REFUSE!!!
  • Reply 2 of 149
    Quote:

Originally posted by oldmacfan

I refuse to believe that this will happen. REFUSE!!!

but you know deep down that it will
  • Reply 3 of 149
    xiaxinxiaxin Posts: 44member
    A 3 vs 3 battle in Warcraft III TFT is the most computing intensive job that I have, I really don't mind if the next iMac is a G5 or not, even if it is a G4 iMac, Okay, as long as it can handle the 3 x 3 battle in the Warcraft III TFT with the all the effect settings to high and performs very well(no lagging in a battle of at least 100 units), I will buy one, if the 20"iMac can do that with native screen resolution, great, I will bring the jumbo iMac home.
  • Reply 4 of 149
    alephaleph Posts: 15member
    Truth is we will see an updated iMac very soon. It is now outpaced by all other macs (eMac included) and very expensive in comparison.

Personally, I do not think Apple will dump the 15" model. They need a model between the "expensive" 17" iMac and the "cheap" eMac. Unless the difference in price will be explained with the G5 in all iMac models (I doubt it, though).

Let's put it this way: the longer the wait for a new iMac, the higher the possibility it will go G5.
  • Reply 5 of 149
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    90nm chips are not ready for prime time according to Apple and IBM. If the PowerMac comes with the new chips at WWDC in June I'd expect that an iMac G5 could be on tap for September. In the meantime modest upgrades of the iMac would seem reasonable by the end of this month. If all had gone well with IBM I think a new form iMac would have come at WWDC, but everything is delayed unfortunately.
  • Reply 6 of 149
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

i dont see how apple has been disappointing you with updates. i realize we havent seen much this year, but the 'Books are pretty impressive. if you're one of those people that was expecting the G5 Powerbook or something like that, then it's your own fault you were disappointed. you have to have a realistic and business view of all of this.
  • Reply 7 of 149
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

i dont see how apple has been disappointing you with updates. i realize we havent seen much this year, but the 'Books are pretty impressive. if you're one of those people that was expecting the G5 Powerbook or something like that, then it's your own fault you were disappointed. you have to have a realistic and business view of all of this.

the lack of a G5 powerbook was exactly my point, these rumour sites and forums only create things that perhaps aren't really there and we all get wrapped up in it expecting the impossible. My view on the iMac was a realistic one, the updates are so far I would have expected in the real-world. That is why I predict another G4 iMac. I think you get me wrong.

Its not apples fault that we can be disappointed in their offerings, its us and the weakness to dream about the improbable. I am chuffed to bits with all the updates so far. I will be ordering a new eMac in the next few weeks. The only thing that disappoints me is that they did not price drop the iBooks as they did the eMacs.
  • Reply 8 of 149
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    Quote:

The only thing that disappoints me is that they did not price drop the iBooks as they did the eMacs.

I was hoping for a $999.00 entry point on the iBook. I still believe that price might happen. I also believe that when the PB goes G5, that the iBooks will all get APE built-in.

I will say it was a surprise to me that they did it in the PB, but when I really think about it it makes total sense. To not have wireless built in and standard these days is silly. People who buy a new laptop of any flavor with out it are being silly.

My one thought on the iBook is that their sales are still strong enough to justify the extra $100. So as it stands now the last iBook bump we will see before G5 or minor tweaks will be G4 1.5 Ghz. Motorola would have to do something majorly good, and IBM would have to flub big time for this not to happen.

I do believe that the next power book will be G5 with new form factor. So lets say MWSF 2005.
  • Reply 9 of 149
    Quote:

the lack of a G5 powerbook was exactly my point, these rumour sites and forums only create things that perhaps aren't really there and we all get wrapped up in it expecting the impossible.

If you cant take what the rumor sites post, then dont read them. Because rumors are rumors, not fact!

Read the front article on Spymac right now.. Its just about this whining.. Cant stand it... Grow up people...
  • Reply 10 of 149
    Apple currently offers the following PowerMac G5 configurations:

1 x 1.6 Ghz G5

2 x 1.8 Ghz G5

2 x 2.0 Ghz G5

Now, why do you suppose they only offer a single 1.6 Ghz G5 when the 1.6 Ghz part is the most abundant? Could they have been stockpiling these for use in a G5 iMac? We know that IBM has been having problems with the new 970fx at all speeds so it seems likely.

Both the eMac and iMac were declared EOL a few weeks ago or so the rumor goes. Since then the eMac was updated. Question is, how many iMacs are in the pipeline currently?
  • Reply 11 of 149
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    Quote:

Originally posted by XiaXin

A 3 vs 3 battle in Warcraft III TFT is the most computing intensive job that I have, I really don't mind if the next iMac is a G5 or not, even if it is a G4 iMac, Okay, as long as it can handle the 3 x 3 battle in the Warcraft III TFT with the all the effect settings to high and performs very well(no lagging in a battle of at least 100 units), I will buy one, if the 20"iMac can do that with native screen resolution, great, I will bring the jumbo iMac home.

The current iMacs should be able to handle that easily. I have an 867 PowerMac (with a now pretty crappy 32MB GF2MX gfx card) whose specs are surpassed by the current iMacs, and I have no problems in WC3TFT with any number of folk on BNet. I've played 6 v 6 custom games satisfactorily (ok...slight lagging when people start using starfall and other area effect spells all at once...but if someone uses starfall on you for more than a few seconds, you get whatever you deserve ) So wait a week or so until the iMacs are updated and you'll be happy as a Pandaran Brewmaster. (sorry...geek overload there...)

Personally, I've decided not to upgrade until the PowerBooks go G5, so none of this bothers me one way or the other. I'm still hoping for that before the fall so I can start off the school year with a new toy. But I may have to wait until Xmas and the spring semester.

-DCQ
  • Reply 12 of 149
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    This IBM problem is getting to be a real debacle.

Its beyond me why they would be having problems getting sub 2 GHZ chips to market for a iMac or a PB.

Its plain sad.

I think IBM needs to stop tooting the horns about future chips and spend that energy on making 90nm 970FX chips.
  • Reply 13 of 149
    I agree that the recent hardware updates along with the AWOL rev. B Power Macs make it very clear we're in for one more G4 iMac in the current enclosure. At least this should make some meaningful price drops possible. They could even do a 15" model at $999, but there's no reason to now that a decently spec'd eMac occupies that price point. Here's my prediction:

$1299 17" 1.25GHz G4 Radeon 9200 64MB Combo Drive

$1599 17" 1.5GHz G4 Radeon 9600 64MB Superdrive

$1999 20" 1.5GHz G4 Radeon 9600 128MB Superdrive

Though still significantly behind the Wintel price performance curve, these configurations would nonetheless be a dramatic improvement over the current iMac offerings.
  • Reply 14 of 149
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    I can understand the G4 chip in the ibooks/powerbooks, but the imac NEEDS a G5 chip @ 1.6G now!.

Of course, what will likely happen is that Apple will put the 1.5G G4 into them and drop the price on them.

On the other hand, bare feats have proven that despite the G5's awsome bus, clock for clock it isnt any faster than a G4?.

Of course the G4 clock is maxed at 1.5G whereas the G5 is well >2G (read G5 is the near future, G4 for now at least).
  • Reply 15 of 149
    dglowdglow Posts: 147member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hasapi

I can understand the G4 chip in the ibooks/powerbooks, but the imac NEEDS a G5 chip @ 1.6G now!.

Seems to me Apple's more likely to drop a G5 into the PowerBook before doing so for the iMac.

Someone correct me if my history is wrong, but didn't we see the G4 TiBook long before the iMac G4?
  • Reply 16 of 149
    Quote:

Originally posted by dglow

Someone correct me if my history is wrong, but didn't we see the G4 TiBook long before the iMac G4?

Powerbook G4 Jan '01

iMac G4 Jan '02
  • Reply 17 of 149
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    If the iMac does go G5, it will be a break from the longstanding tradition that the iMac follows the PowerBook.

That wouldn't be a bad thing, and it doesn't mean that Apple won't do it. But an induction over previous updates says that we can expect iMacs with 1.33GHz and 1.5GHz G4s soon.

It might also make sense for Apple to hold off using the 970fx in a consumer machine until IBM is drowning in them. Better to stick with a proven design on a proven fab - or, failing that, the G4.
  • Reply 18 of 149
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hasapi

On the other hand, bare feats have proven that despite the G5's awsome bus, clock for clock it isnt any faster than a G4?.

Barefeats did not prove anything. Sure, if you run processes that rely solely on CPU frequency, you would not see much of a difference. Now, try to run heavy floating point calculations moving huge amounts of data, just to keep the bus and the FPU busy; then compare the results between those G4 and G5. And let's leave the memory addressing and 64-bit arithmetic for another discussion and for people more competent than me on the subject.
  • Reply 19 of 149
    ~ufo~~ufo~ Posts: 245member
    I've said this before:

I don't see the G5 making it into the iMac anytime soon.

the G5 is the PROcessor and the G4 is (now) the SEMI PROcessor.

the G5 is way too fresh to start making it into the consumer devises already.

I think they can crank up the G4 till at least 1.7/1.8GHz before they'll put a G5 in the iMac.

powerbooks would be a while off too I guess, but it will of course get it sooner than the iMac, because the powerbook is a Pro machine, not a consumer machine. It's not a matter of what apple CAN put into their machines, it's a matter of what they SHOULD put in there (from their marketing perspective).

that said, of course it would be KICK ASS to get a G5 into the iMac, but personally I'd be cheering for the complimentary FORM FACTOR CHANGE it would get along with the G5.
  • Reply 20 of 149
    dglowdglow Posts: 147member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ~ufo~

I've said this before:

I don't see the G5 making it into the iMac anytime soon.

the G5 is the PROcessor and the G4 is (now) the SEMI PROcessor.

the G5 is way too fresh to start making it into the consumer devises already.

I think they can crank up the G4 till at least 1.7/1.8GHz before they'll put a G5 in the iMac.

powerbooks would be a while off too I guess, but it will of course get it sooner than the iMac, because the powerbook is a Pro machine, not a consumer machine. It's not a matter of what apple CAN put into their machines, it's a matter of what they SHOULD put in there (from their marketing perspective).

that said, of course it would be KICK ASS to get a G5 into the iMac, but personally I'd be cheering for the complimentary FORM FACTOR CHANGE it would get along with the G5.

amen, brotha!

(smokey in recognition of the date, not your post, nor my state of mind)