Negroponte new US Ambassador to Iraq

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Uh oh.

Didn't he do bad things in Honduras? Still, the Arms to Iran thing shows he knows the area!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Are we expected to take this seriously? It's almost like a bad movie.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    Do you have a link to an article?
  • Reply 3 of 14
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    Yeah, doesn't look good. Here's more information on his previous experience as Ambassador.

Quote:

The New York Times credits John Negroponte with "carrying out the covert strategy of the Reagan administration to crush the Sandinista government in Nicaragua" during his tenure as U.S. Ambassador to Honduras from 1981 and 1985. He oversaw the growth of military aid to Honduras from $4 million to $77.4 million a year. In early 1984, two U.S. mercenaries, Thomas Posey and Dana Parker, contacted Negroponte, stating they wanted to supply arms to the Contra army after the U.S. Congress had banned governmental add. Documents show that Negroponte connected the two with a contact in the Honduran military. The operation was exposed nine months later, at which point the Reagan administration denied any U.S. government involvement, despite Negroponte?s contact earlier that year. Other documents uncovered a scheme of Negroponte and then-Vice President George Bush to funnel Contra aid money through the Honduran government

In addition to his work with the Nicaraguan Contra army, Negroponte helped conceal from Congress the murder, kidnapping and torture abuses of a CIA-equipped and -trained Honduran military unit, Battalion 3-16. No mention of these human rights violations ever appeared in State Department Human Rights reports for Honduras. The Baltimore Sun reports that Efrain Diaz Arrivillaga, then a delegate in the Honduran Congress and a voice of dissent, told the Sun that he complained to Negroponte on numerous occasions about the Honduran military?s human rights abuses. Rick Chidester, a junior embassy official under Negroponte, reported to the Sun that he was forced to omit an exhaustive gathering of human rights violations from his 1982 State Department report. Sister Laetitia Bordes went on a fact-finding delegation to Honduras in May 1982 to investigate the whereabouts of 32 Salvadoran nuns and women of faith who fled to Honduras in 1981 after Archbishop Oscar Romero?s assassination. Negroponte claimed the embassy knew nothing, but in 1996, Negroponte?s predecessor Jack Binns reported that the women had been captured, tortured, and then crammed into helicopters from which they were tossed to their deaths.

http://www.maryknoll.org/GLOBAL/ALER...negroponte.htm
  • Reply 4 of 14
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    I started a thread on this about four days back. I guess it got lumped under "Sammi Jo's Conspiracy Theories".

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=40829

Some more reading on Negroponte:

http://www.afrocubaweb.com/negroponte.htm

If Negroponte's appointment is tough enough to swallow, then Bush's choice of Otto Reich as Assistant Secretary of State for Western Hemisphere Affairs is mindboggling. Reich is a true friend of Central and South American terrorists, notoriously Orlando Bosch .

More:

http://www.ratical.org/ratville/CAH/FoT.html

http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB40/

http://www.zmag.org/sustainers/conte...2/15landau.cfm

And...where did many thugs and terrorists in South and Central America get their training? Right here in the USA, funded by the US taxpayer, at

Fort Benning, GA , formerly the "School of the Americas", now known as WHISC.

Quote:

SOA graduates are responsible for some of the worst human rights abuses in Latin America. In 1996 the Pentagon was forced to release training manuals used at the school that advocated torture, extortion and execution. Among the SOA's nearly 60,000 graduates are notorious dictators Manuel Noriega and Omar Torrijos of Panama, Leopoldo Galtieri and Roberto Viola of Argentina, Juan Velasco Alvarado of Peru, Guillermo Rodriguez of Ecuador, and Hugo Banzer Suarez of Bolivia. Lower-level SOA graduates have participated in human rights abuses that include the assassination of Archbishop Oscar Romero and the El Mozote Massacre of 900 civilians.

Some of the graduates of the "University of Terrorism" make al Qaeda's thugs look like pussies.

Bring 'em on.

• Reply 5 of 14
    I just don't get stuff like the appointing of Negroponte to Iraq. It's like when the Bush admin tried to appoint Kissinger to chair the 9/11 commission.

I sometimes feel like the Bush admin thinks it's the South Park version of Johnny Cochran and wants to try out the Chewbacca defense...

"Look at the monkey! Look at the silly monkey!"
  • Reply 6 of 14
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kneelbeforezod

I sometimes feel like the Bush admin thinks it's the South Park version of Johnny Cochran and wants to try out the Chewbacca defense...

"Look at the monkey! Look at the silly monkey!"

• Reply 7 of 14
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kneelbeforezod

It's like when the Bush admin tried to appoint Kissinger to chair the 9/11 commission.

What was wrong with that?
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

What was wrong with that?

It's called Conflict of Interest. Employing an (alleged) war criminal to investigate terrorists isn't a very appropriate example.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    kneelbeforezod, Kissinger was a man of some principle compared to this soulless messenger of death...
  • Reply 10 of 14
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammi jo

It's called Conflict of Interest. Employing an (alleged) war criminal to investigate terrorists isn't a very appropriate example.

Guilty until proven innocent huh? I'm sure you're outraged about the Democrat on the panel that is also part of the 9-11 investigation? crickets chirp
  • Reply 11 of 14
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    I'm not saying I'm in favour of this, and truth be told I don't know enough about the man to take a stand.

But my guess is that this guy's got some sort of working relationship with the Iranians, or at least history with dealing with them.

Looks like the Bush Admin is hoping he can keep Iran on side/at bay as the transfer of power proceeds.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    Frank777, do some Googling on the man. His specialty is "doing deals with the devil"...

I don't know what to make of the fact that our religiously devout president thinks he such a great guy. Negroponte has the blood of innnocent men, women and children on his filthy hands.

I spit in his direction...
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Guilty until proven innocent huh? I'm sure you're outraged about the Democrat on the panel that is also part of the 9-11 investigation? crickets chirp

In which case , the right thing for her to do is resign.