Problems with importing Video from digital camera(iPhoto...iMovie)

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
My buddy is using a 2 year old Olympus digital still camera, model C3000 camedia zoom, Well he plugs in the camera to his TiBook(running OS 10.3.3) iPhoto 2.0 loads, the camera is recognized, he imports, it deletes the photos from his camera, all is well and dandy.

HOWEVER, the camera also has the ability to take video clips, but these cannot be imported by iphoto (v. 2). They also cannot be imported by iMovie because it is a USB device and iMovie only accepts firewire. Also, he doesn't have the original software that he got for his PC a while back. Can anyone help with this dilemma?!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    If the camera can mount in the Finder as a hard drive (not sure of that camera), he can drag and drop. Also, try Image Capture and see if that imports to a folder. If that fails, purchase a CF (or whatever media it is) card reader, and that'll mount, so he can drag and drop.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Image Capture is your friend.

If you open Image Capture you can browse the contents of your camera and download the movie files to the Finder. Prior to iLife 04 ( I haven't tested it) you could import all your photos in iPhoto and even select to erase the card after import and the movie files would still be there for extraction. Made it easier to grab them that way. I actually loved the first version of Image Capture, the one that was out prior to iPhoto coming out. I set it to auto dump the photos into the Photos folder and dump the movies to the Movies folder. It was great.

Hope this helps your budy.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    Does Olympus have (updated) capture software? I have a Canon, and they actually have been keeping up fairly well with the OS. When I want to grab AVI movies off my Canon, I use their software (I find that iPhoto does not touch the .avi files when the "delete after download" option is selected).

Good luck.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Thank you everyone for the replies, shortly after I posted this, we tried image capture, and it worked like a charm.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I use image capture for my Canon D60 and now a new Kodak DX6490. The Kodak takes both movies and photos in JPEG format. The Canon only takes photos in both JPEG and RAW format.

Image capture can transfer all these formats except RAW. (For some reason it will corrupt Raw files)