Cleaning my iPod

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Just wondering if anyone has, or knows where to find, tips for cleaning an iPod.

A few months ago I had spilled a drink and didn't noticed that some liquid splashed onto my iPod. Now the forward and back buttons stick. The forward button isn't too bad once you get it going, but the back button REALLY sticks - you have to push it hard. This is a first-generation 10GB iPod.

I tried to get the face off to get into the iPod (using the guide in a recent MacAddict mag) but I couldn't even come close to getting it off.

Is there a safe way of doing this? Maybe there's a way for me to clean it without disassembling it?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    iKlear, works for me!
  • Reply 2 of 5
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattjohndrow

iKlear, works for me!

Uh, thanks, but can you help me out a bit more than that?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    It's quite easy to prise the centre button off, if I remember rightly. You can take the wheel off quite easily after that. I don't know if that's useful to your particular problem, though. Can't remember if that makes it any easier to get the buttons.

When my first gen Pod died I managed to get the back off with a credit card and a sharp knife. I'm sure this'll be a better way in. I wouldn't worry about damaging the Pod. If you're careful you'll be fine I think.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    http://www.klearscreen.com/

get the spray, a cloth, follow the directions
  • Reply 5 of 5
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Thanks for the tips, Hassan i Sabbah!

I was able to get into the button area underneath (although putting it back together took a lot longer when I discovered I lost all clicky-ness).

I was also able to open up the back.

Unfortunately, I don't think I can get to the affected area without dismantling the whole iPod - the sticky area is between the rounded button and the iPod face it self. There doesn't seem to be a way to pull the outer buttons off through the front.

The good news - after I finally figured out how to get the buttons to work again, I discovered the click was back in my back and forward buttons (before, there was no click noise) and I don't have to press as hard. All the work must have loosened it up a bit. This will do until I get a new iPod.

Many thanks!!