Last call to true Mac fans before I eBay my G4 Cube...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am buying one of the new PowerBooks and want to sell my tried and true G4 Cube, anyone can just send me a private message or email. [email protected] All questions welcome, she's a beautiful machine, sad to see her go. If I dont get a reply here, I'll be forced to eBay "my precious."

?450 MHz G4

?20 GB Hard Disk

?Mac OS X 10.3.3

?Apple Pro Keyboard

?Apple Pro Mouse

?Apple Pro Speakers w/grill protectors

?Slot-load DVD ROM

?iLife '04

?192 MB's of RAM

?It's a flawless G4 Cube, mint condition.

Larger Picture Here

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    You'll find out soon enough, I suppose, but this should probably be in General Discussion, where purchasing advice AND "Ah got me some shit fo' sale" stuff goes.

• Reply 2 of 23
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Good luck! I hope it goes to a good home.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

You'll find out soon enough, I suppose, but this should probably be in General Discussion, where purchasing advice AND "Ah got me some shit fo' sale" stuff goes.

Oh, and torifile, thanks...I hope so too! My Cube was :::tear::: so good to me.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    I'll give you 10 bucks for it.... but only if you pay for shipping.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    I give you $100 CDN... but only if you pay the shipping.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    I'll give you 1000 yen, but only if you pay the shipping
  • Reply 7 of 23
    BTW-My name is Chris and I live in State College PA.

Most Cubes are going from 650-1250 on eBay, just FYI.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    i'll trade you this bag of magic beans, but you pay the shipping
  • Reply 9 of 23
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

BTW-My name is Chris and I live in State College PA.

Hi Chris.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akumulator

Hi Chris.

I posted that information so if there are any potential buyers out there they might more appropriately address me.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    So how much is it going for? You gave a range, what's the asking price?

I already have a cube, but having another one wouldn't be bad at all...I could always use it as a server.

Sorry to see you selling that thing though, it's truly the most amazing computer ever built. You are one of the lucky few to have owned one.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    if only i had money to spend on anything other than the latest apple offerings. what a beauty.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    It's a nice machine, but honestly I'd value it on the lower range of the spectrum unless it has an upgraded graphics card.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    It has a 32 MB ATI Radeon graphics card, that was the one feature I left out of the specs. It was the highest end card in the Cube at the time, so it was BTO'd that way.

I'm asking $800 for it.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

I'm asking $800 for it.

i'll give ya two slaps across the face, but u gotta cover shipping.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

i'll give ya two slaps across the face, but u gotta cover shipping.

But how would you get the slaps to him ? Hire someone?
  • Reply 17 of 23
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    chris, ignore 'em. i'm not sure you'll find many used computer purchasers around here, since everyone b!tches about even the bleeding-edge, yet-to-ship apple computers DURING a friggin' keynote debut.

the problem is that if i bought the machine, i would immediately want to upgrade to something at least comparable to apple's latest laptop offerings. using powerlogix's upgraes as a baseline, that adds an instant $440-540 to the price. (edit: while i could troll ebay and such for used upgrades, i have a low tolerance for the quantity of used parts for a single machine... buying used is already a risk, and adding more used parts to that machine, in my opinion, multiplies that risk quickly, so upgrades for me would have to be brand-new and warranty-covered). also, while the cube enclosure is a marvel, i would feel compelled to get the powerlogix larger cube enclosure for an extra $130 to allow for graphics card upgrades and higher processor speeds down the road. i might be able to find a used geforce3 card which fits in the original enclosure, but the cost would likely be only slightly less than the enclosure, and with the larger size, i get more flexibility.

so that's around $650-750 additional to your $800 asking price, figuring in graphics card, processor upgrade, etc. to get it close to spec for current machines.

so now we're up to around $1500 for a current usable machine. for $300 more, i can get the lowest G5. admittedly 1.6 GHz, but it is within reach, brand new, AND covered by a 1-year manufacturer's warranty.

so someone buying this model either has very modest means to use it, or they are buying it solely for the "collector's" status. if you put it on ebay, i bet dollars-to-donuts it'll get reposted by a reseller within a week trying to sell it for more and they will keep auctioning until they get a decent price.

anyway, just thought i would break it down for ya.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akumulator

Hi Chris.

LMFAO
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Quote:

It has a 32 MB ATI Radeon graphics card, that was the one feature I left out of the specs. It was the highest end card in the Cube at the time, so it was BTO'd that way.

I'm asking $800 for it.

i had one and sold it around the first of the year. I had a 450 with 512 megs of ram and got @ $750 for it. so you are not asking too much, however as these computers get upgraded, it goes down in value. but i cant see you getting under 700 for it. Good luck, and oh by the way i sold mine to help me pay for the 17" powerbook i now own and i dont miss that cube one bit!

although i did enjoy looking at it and not hearing it. by the PB is silent as well
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Very nice. I have one myself with 768 ram and 16 meg card. Really runs Panther quite nicely. Will be selling mine soon, but good luck on yours!