Get signal-can't connect to restaurants internet

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
A local fazol's restaurant has "free" internet access. no password necessary, should automatically load/ connect to it's website but my ibook g4 10.3.2 can't connect. They have no instuctions, it's supposed to be automatic i get excellant signal, get the name of the network "wireless" it even places the web address in internet explorer but won't connect/ load the page.

how should i configure my airport

it already is set for "automatic"

how would i set this up to connect at say an airport since most have internet?

do i need to upgrade to 10.3.3? to airport 3.4 with software update???

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Check the network preference pane and see what it says about the airport configuration. If it says you have a self-assigned IP address, double click on the airport entry and make sure you have it set to automatically get an IP address from the DHCP server. If it IS set that way, I've found that turning off airport and then turning back on helps.

BTW, have you tried a new browser called Safari? I hear good things about it.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Check the network preference pane and see what it says about the airport configuration. If it says you have a self-assigned IP address, double click on the airport entry and make sure you have it set to automatically get an IP address from the DHCP server...

Actually, that is exactly the solution. I had that problem recently.

best
  • Reply 3 of 4
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    sorry but i'm not quite sure what you are asking

when i go to network preferences i get the following page

location--automatic

show AirPort

menu buttons as follows

airport tcp/ip appletalk proxies

airport i d 00:0a:95:f7 etc

by default join : automatic

i don't see the "self assigned ip address" you reference, under what "button or menu is that"

under tcp/ip menu

configure iPv4 using DHCP but the pull down menu has 3 other options including manually dhcp with manual address, using bootP

Am i in the right place?

As far as browsers safari is my first choice i thought it may be a browser issue so i tried under IE and Safari

once it works with this place will it then work at say an airport or will i have to change something

do i need to "create a new configuration"

sorry for the newby type questions

but i will try there again and turn airport on and off

thanks for the quick response, maybe this forum should have a SOLUTIONS forum for these
  • Reply 4 of 4
    skyboltskybolt Posts: 111member
    I have a similar problem in the office building where I work. They provide free wireless on the "plaza" and I can't make it work. I have the settings all set to automatic, and such, and I do "see" the network, and have adequate signal strength. Just can't get anything to load. It has been suggested on other forums that the hotspot may "be using the MAC address enabled or WEP encryption". I suspect it is not WEP encryoted, as there are instructions on tables on the plaza that tell Windows users how to set up, and they say to not use WEP. So maybe the MAC issue is what is causing the problem. I am still working on determining with the provider of this hotspot if that is the case, so can't say for sure that it is the cause of the problem, but you may be able to check that out on your end and see if that is the problem.