Need web storage...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Does anyone know of a product or service that offers some kind of iDisk type of storage system that can be accessed by multiple people, and is (obviously) Mac friendly?

I have a network of three or four creatives, that work remotely and need access to the same files. iDisk would work just fine, if it was faster and had much more capacity (like 30 GB).

Does anyone have any experience with something like this?

Talked to a few Windoze service providers, some of them mentioned something called VPN, not sure if that is what I'm looking for, or not.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    /\ldie/\ldie Posts: 70member
    www.spymac.com

100 mb webspace

1 gig mail

250 mb picture space
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Do you run your own servers or do you need a hosted solution?

What kind of files are they? Image, Movies, document, a mix?

How secure do they need to be?

At what kind of frequency are you transferring the data back and forth?

Something like rsync may be useful. It uses some cunning tricks so that if you change part of a file it only transmits the changed portions rather than the entire file.

But a simple FTP server may be useful or a perhaps a fake 'iDisk' WebDAV server depending on your needs.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    how much is spymac?
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattjohndrow

how much is spymac?

I believe the plan quoted above is totally free.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    thanks locash
  • Reply 6 of 16
    stupider...likeafox, I believe you're on the right track. (SpyMac is not what I'm looking for), I need about 20-30 GB (Thats GB) to store various production/design files (i.e. Photoshop, Quark, PowerPoint, yada, yada, yada, to be accessed by different clients/freelancers remotely.

I'm pretty sure it would be a WebDAV type thingy, that I could mount on my desktop (like iDisk), transfer files to or from on a daily basis (without having to use an FTP client). I can't believe this is as difficult as maybe I'm making it sound. I thought there would be lots of service providers that would offer this kinda thing, but on a larger scale than your typical iDisk or SpyMac.

Thanks anyway, everyone.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    i'm looking for a place that has lots gigs of transfer per month. anyone know a free site?
  • Reply 8 of 16
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    Quote:

Originally posted by /\\ldie

www.spymac.com

100 mb webspace

1 gig mail

250 mb picture space

I just signed up for their service...do you get any SPAM from them??? How's the reliability?

Basically- whats bad about this?
  • Reply 9 of 16
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by burningwheel

i'm looking for a place that has lots gigs of transfer per month. anyone know a free site?

Host Ultra

Our Free Web Hosting Package contains the following features:

_

Unlimited Data Transfer

Unlimited Disk Space

100mbps Network Connection

99.9% Uptime

Free Sub Directory ( hostultra.com/~you )

Cool yourname.vzz.net URL!

Free Subdomains ( Many domains to choose from! )

Free Domain Hosting ( yourdomain.com )

Custom Domain DNS Control ( A/CNAME/MX Records )

Browser and FTP Uploading

PHP / MySQL*

Unlimited Domains / Unlimited Subdomains

Free Search Engine Submission

I've never used them
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akumulator

Host Ultra

Our Free Web Hosting Package contains the following features:

_

Unlimited Data Transfer

Unlimited Disk Space

100mbps Network Connection

99.9% Uptime

Free Sub Directory ( hostultra.com/~you )

Cool yourname.vzz.net URL!

Free Subdomains ( Many domains to choose from! )

Free Domain Hosting ( yourdomain.com )

Custom Domain DNS Control ( A/CNAME/MX Records )

Browser and FTP Uploading

PHP / MySQL*

Unlimited Domains / Unlimited Subdomains

Free Search Engine Submission

I've never used them

cool. maybe i'll sign up!

edit: i need it to host some .mov's and you can't with your company
  • Reply 11 of 16
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    How about this one?

http://www.doteasy.com/

I pay for webhosting at 1and1.com. They're cheap and very good. For some things, I just ftp them to my Earthlink free hosting. Does your ISP provide any free space?
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akumulator

How about this one?

http://www.doteasy.com/

nah, they have little transfer fro the free account
  • Reply 13 of 16
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    I'm assuming you are on a high speed connection...you can use the built in hosting provided by OS X. But just a warning, ISPs HATE it and it's usually against their TOS because it's a bandwidth hog.

Place the files you want to share in your "sites" folder in your Home directory and turn on "Personal Web Sharing" in System Preferences. It will tell you where other users can access your computer and any shared files in the sites folder. You can give out that address.

Depending on the amount of people that need access to the files, this may or may not be a great idea...and again, usually the ISP won't allow it, check with yours first before you do anything.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    i suggest you purchase a few xserves and xraids. if you really need to back up that much data, then you're professional enough to buy "real" solutions. web accounts are slow and unreliable IMO.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    mike peelmike peel Posts: 185member
    I'll throw a little more info in here...

From your first post, "VPN" is Virtual Private Network. Basically, it'd allow you to link your computers directly over the internet, and hence let you access each other's files. It would require a central hub into which you connect, and if noone else was online at the same time you're stuck. While I've used it a couple of times, I'm afraid I don't know much more than that...

The best solution would probably be to get a server constantly connected to the net, and use that to store the files on. I'm not sure on the best way to link that to your computers - if Finder's FTP support enabled you to write data I'd say use that, but you'd probably have to go for a standalone FTP program - something like Transmit. Unless there's some magical way you can connect to a server on the Mac I haven't found yet... (I'm still new to them.)

With a server, either buy one yourself (a second-hand G4 PM or so would do the job easily) and have it sitting in an office constantly on and connected with a high-speed internet connection with a fixed IP, or go for someone like http://www.ev1servers.net/ and get one of their Celeron packages with Linux on it (assuming you can manage it and get everything set up nice and safely).

As for "free" or "unlimited" hosting packages; don't go for them. If your data's important, and you need to be able to access it quickly and reliably, pay for something of decent-quality that lists exactly what you get, and charges enough to stay in business. Otherwise it's like getting a free PowerBook with no innards, or one that claims it has unlimited processing power but in reality has a very fixed limit.

Hope that lot's useful.