New PB CPU Question

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
The Nov '03 PB CPU is MPC7457 and the new PB CPU is MPC7447A. I know the new CPU contains a new processor speed slewing mechanism, but other than that, what is the difference? To me, a lower model number would usually mean lower specs... but that is the whole reason I'm posting this (because I don't understand ) I looked at the Motorola site to see if I could find some info, but couldn't fine anything that was humanly understandable

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    I don't think any apple product has used the '57.

AFAIK the PBs released in Sept 2003 use the 7447. I believe the 7457 supports a L3 cache. The PBs dont' use this, so there is no need for the 57.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    fulmerfulmer Posts: 171member
    According to the Apple hardware page(http://developer.apple.com/documenta...hardware2.html), the old PB12" uses the '57

http://developer.apple.com/documenta...0879/TPXREF102

Am I just retarded?

Or is this confusing to more people that just me?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    As Cosmo said, the 7457 supports L3 and the 7447 doesn't. It looks like Apple used to use the 7457 with no L3, which is a little unusual but possible. Since the only difference between the chips is a feature Apple didn't use, don't worry about it. It's still a G4; it's still from Moto.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

As Cosmo said, the 7457 supports L3 and the 7447 doesn't. It looks like Apple used to use the 7457 with no L3, which is a little unusual but possible. Since the only difference between the chips is a feature Apple didn't use, don't worry about it. It's still a G4; it's still from Moto.

It's not the first time that Apple use the high end version of a chip without taking advantage of the L3 cache.

They do this for pin compatibility : if they want they may upgrade to powerbook G4 with L3 cache with minor changes. Otherwise they will have to change the whole mobo.