PalmOS 6 and Macs

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
From what I understand, PalmOS 6 won't sync with Macs. Is that right? At least not with the built-in software.

"Desktop software and Synchronization

New and improved Palm OS Desktop application (Microsoft Windows® only)"

Does this mean Mac users will be left without the ability to sync new Palm handhelds when they come out? Will iSync work with new Palm devices?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Mark/Space , the makers of Missing Sync are taking over the responsibilities of Mac syncing software for Palm OS 6 devices. They are working closely with Palm, Apple, and third party software vendors to ensure that their software will work well with the new devices. I should also point out that Mark/Space will license their software to hardware manufacturers so that they can included it with the new PDO and I've gotten a very strong impression that Palm One will be bundling it with their units to maintain Mac support.

I for one am happy that Palm is not going to be making the sync software anymore. I loved Claris Organizer as much as the next guy, but The Missing Sync is so much better on quite a few levels.

Oh, and for future reference I think this should go into Digital Hub.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Agreed. Off to Digital Hub we go.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

Mark/Space , the makers of Missing Sync are taking over the responsibilities of Mac syncing software for Palm OS 6 devices.

So, HOM, will we be able to ditch Palm Desktop and rely on Mark/Space, iCal, and Address Book to sync our Palm OS 6 PDAs? In other words, will Mark/Space implement its own new HotSync manager? I understand it currently relies on Palm's HotSync manager to provide Mac support for Sony CLIEs. If yes, will Mark/Space's HotSync manager be compatible with Palm OS 4 and 5 handhelds? Or will owners of older Palms be stuck with the Palm Desktop and HotSync manager?

Escher
  • Reply 4 of 10
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    As it stands now Missing Sync for Palm devices still require Hot Sync Manager to be installed, but you can use Apple's iApps and even Entourage I think. However for Palm 6 devices Missing Sync will be the hot sync manager for Mac. Palm won't be writing it anymore, but Mark/Space will.

And yes, the new version of Missing Sync will support older devices and even support old Palm conduits. So when it comes out it looks like we can ditch Hot Sync Manager.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

As it stands now Missing Sync for Palm devices still require Hot Sync Manager to be installed, but you can use Apple's iApps and even Entourage I think. However for Palm 6 devices Missing Sync will be the hot sync manager for Mac. Palm won't be writing it anymore, but Mark/Space will.

And yes, the new version of Missing Sync will support older devices and even support old Palm conduits. So when it comes out it looks like we can ditch Hot Sync Manager.

Thanks for your answers, HOM. I also had a look abound the Mark/Space website, which has some useful information in its FAQ. It sounds to me like the situation will improve, since iCal/Address Book will be the primary PIM for Palm instead of competing with Palm Desktop. I just hope that M/S will work closely with Apple to complement iSync, rather than duplicate some of its functions. This sounds like another good reason to get a Treo 600, once it adds Bluetooth functionality.

Escher
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Thanks. I guess Mac users won't be left out in the cold after all.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but I figured it was better than starting a new one.

Word is now that Palm will move to SyncML, a protocol Apple supports, which means that Palm OS 6 devices will likely link directly to iSync, and forego the need for the traditional Hotsync conduits.

Why they wasted eyeryone's time and goodwill, not to mention caused numerous Mac users to abandon the platform after the "no more support" announcement, is beyond me.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Very interesting! Time to consider buying a Palm device again. Hmm.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    I don't even believe a Palm OS 6 device will ever come out...
  • Reply 10 of 10
    I agree. I don't believe Palm OS 6 will ever be seen on any phone device.

SyncML is open source and so is the new flavor of Linux that PalmSource just purchased to base their future (such as it is) on.

The Palm OS is going the way of the Dodo bird. And PalmOne... they can't afford the time or money it will take to invest in redoing PalmSources crappy 6 (6.1) OS to work on their Treos - that is to say - make it work with the built in phone features that PalmSource seems to have ignored. Idiots. PalmSource AND PalmOne, they're both idiots. Should have never split up.

I have a Treo 600 and love it but I can't justify purchasing the 650 with its list of bugs a mile long and fear that it will be the last of its kind ? no successor.