does anyone else think safari 1.2 is terrible?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
i hope they come up with something soon to fix it. 1.2 fvcks my sites up. text/tables jump around when clicking from one section to the next. i have this problem with IE as well. Opera works fine. This problem doesn't happen when viewing my sites on a PC

to make matters worse. it only does it for some pages and not others!. there's no rhyme or reason to this problem

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    Here's what the apple website says;

Precision layout

Rest assured, Safari renders web pages properly according to the latest Internet standards. So pages that use advanced HTML, XML, XHTML, DOM, CSS, JavaScript and Java specifications just look right. And of course you can view the content in QuickTime, Flash and Shockwave plug-ins. Going beyond standard accuracy, pages in Safari look beautiful, thanks to fully anti-aliased text. Safari takes advantage of Panther?s rich support for Unicode, which lets you view sites in different writing systems, such as English and other Roman languages, Japanese, Chinese, Hebrew or Arabic ? even on the same page.

check out my site

and tell me if you get tables jumping around using Safari and IE
  • Reply 2 of 32
    The only time I notice content shift is when the browser window has to render a scroll bar and column, which offsets your content to the left about, what, 20 pixels? Any specific order of pages we should hit if that isn't the problem?
  • Reply 3 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

The only time I notice content shift is when the browser window has to render a scroll bar and column, which offsets your content to the left about, what, 20 pixels? Any specific order of pages we should hit if that isn't the problem?

that's right. is there anyway to stop this from happening?

the pages that are out of wack are the discography page and then if you go to the press section and click on most of the articles you have this offset of about 20 pixels or whatever amount it is.

all the pages use the same template

thanks for looking
  • Reply 4 of 32
    it usually only happens with sites they are centered but it also happens with this site of mine

click on the ress section, then click the pumpkin faries article to see what i mean. 2 other articles do this shifting too, but the rest don't
  • Reply 5 of 32
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    All I know is that huge rainbow header is annoying to have to scroll past just to read the content every time you click a link.

No offense.

Are you on a large monitor?
  • Reply 6 of 32
    Well, there isn't really a way around it, unless you force scrollbars onto every page. That would just be silly though.

It's the viewport that gets smaller when it needs to draw the scrollbars. Can't really do anything about that one.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

Well, there isn't really a way around it, unless you force scrollbars onto every page. That would just be silly though.

It's the viewport that gets smaller when it needs to draw the scrollbars. Can't really do anything about that one.

is there css that will allow you to force scrollbars for safari? i'm off to look now

looking at my wife's PC i see that Mozilla and IE automatically create scrollbars, that why it's not problem on that platform

thanks for your help. i knew the problem but made me see the light as to the problem
  • Reply 8 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

All I know is that huge rainbow header is annoying to have to scroll past just to read the content every time you click a link.

No offense.

Are you on a large monitor?

yeah. you'd have to sroll a lot anyways
  • Reply 9 of 32
    supposedly putting scroll="yes" in the body tag forces IE to always create scroll bars but IE for the PC already does this. well it didn't work for me
  • Reply 10 of 32
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    i don't think it is terrible, a little slow, but i'm sure that's my machine...eh, my opinion
  • Reply 11 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattjohndrow

i don't think it is terrible, a little slow, but i'm sure that's my machine...eh, my opinion

it's supposed be slow
  • Reply 12 of 32
    well, my machine is a 400 Mhz G3 iMac, running panther, so...
  • Reply 13 of 32
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    There's still also a long standing (complex) frame issue. It doesn't render them pixelperfect. Not as bad as NS, but still.

Look at this website, and notice the thin horizontal line in the (colored) frameset. It's there since the beta, and it's still not resolved.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    FYI it does the same jumping around on my Linux box running Epiphany (the Gnome browser based on Mozilla, sort of like a Linux version of Camino).

Less helpfully, I have to comment that if your building a site that is just a big split-up table in the year 2004 then you shouldn't really be criticising a browser for it's standards compliance.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by stupider...likeafox

FYI it does the same jumping around on my Linux box running Epiphany (the Gnome browser based on Mozilla, sort of like a Linux version of Camino).

Less helpfully, I have to comment that if your building a site that is just a big split-up table in the year 2004 then you shouldn't really be criticising a browser for it's standards compliance.

well it's not a standards compliance problem as it turns out. safari just doesn't render the scrollbars automatically like browsers for PCs
  • Reply 16 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by BigBlue

There's still also a long standing (complex) frame issue. It doesn't render them pixelperfect. Not as bad as NS, but still.

Look at this website, and notice the thin horizontal line in the (colored) frameset. It's there since the beta, and it's still not resolved.

i didn't see it
  • Reply 17 of 32
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    Quote:

Originally posted by burningwheel

i didn't see it

Sometimes you see it, then you don't

Change the browser size a bit.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    ericgericg Posts: 135member
    Quote:

i didn't see it

I see a white horizontal line at the bottom, below discography in situ.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    v1.2 fixed every compatibility issue I've had in the past. However, it also does things(specifically animated .gifs) a lot slower than IE, camino, and Omni ever did. \
  • Reply 20 of 32
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

well it's not a standards compliance problem as it turns out. safari just doesn't render the scrollbars automatically like browsers for PCs

This is a Macintosh Human Interface Guideline going way back: If you don't need scrollbars, don't display them.