Monitor spanning issue.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
First, let me state for the record that I HATE SPSS. That out of the way, I've got a problem....

I was working at home on my 12" powerbook spanning my monitors. SPSS spreadsheet on the external monitor. Now I'm out trying to work and my spreadsheet is still on the "other" (non-existant) monitor. I've quit and restarted SPSS to no avail. I can *see* the window when I expose but I can't drag it over to my main (and currently only) monitor. Any suggestions? TIA.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Never mind. Deleting the prefs did it. I shoulda thought of that first (I did think about it but I didn't want to have to re-enter my serial numbers and stuff - I didn't). Lock at will.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

First, let me state for the record that I HATE SPSS. That out of the way, I've got a problem....

I feel your pain, torifile. Although now there's at least an up-to-date Mac OS X version of SPSS. When my wife was going through her second Masters a few years ago, we had to set up a terribly old version in Mac OS 8 or so because SPSS for Mac hadn't been updated for several years. Even though it was completely outdated, it cost twice as much as the latest Windows version at the Columbia book store. With educational pricing, no less. \

Good thing I don't (usually) have to deal with statistics in the legal field.

Escher
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

I feel your pain, torifile. Although now there's at least an up-to-date Mac OS X version of SPSS. When my wife was going through her second Masters a few years ago, we had to set up a terribly old version in Mac OS 8 or so because SPSS for Mac hadn't been updated for several years. Even though it was completely outdated, it cost twice as much as the latest Windows version at the Columbia book store. With educational pricing, no less. \

Good thing I don't (usually) have to deal with statistics in the legal field.

Escher

When they FINALLY updated SPSS from version 6.1 to I believe 9.0, OS X came out about 2 months later. Guess what? SPSS didn't work in classic. Laughable. Now it only sort of works in Panther, throwing HOOPS errors every time you have a graph displayed. I'd learn some other stat package (R is better and FREE) but I'm under a time crunch right now. :/
  • Reply 4 of 5
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    That's why I broke down last fall and got us a Wintel box for the home office. It doesn't do much but sit around. However, when I do need to run something that's Windows-only, or unbearably inferior on the Mac, having a cheapo Wintel box in the house is a godsend. I got the old box free from work, so it was cheaper than VPC and offers much better compatibility. The Wintel's lack of portability is not an issue in our case. And the fancy 17" LCD I got for it makes a great addition to my 'Book as well.

Escher
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

That's why I broke down last fall and got us a Wintel box for the home office. It doesn't do much but sit around. However, when I do need to run something that's Windows-only, or unbearably inferior on the Mac, having a cheapo Wintel box in the house is a godsend. I got the old box free from work, so it was cheaper than VPC and offers much better compatibility. The Wintel's lack of portability is not an issue in our case. And the fancy 17" LCD I got for it makes a great addition to my 'Book as well.

Escher

I've got a dell at home with SPSS on it. I just don't use it. It's not as enjoyable and I prefer to work at a coffeeshop rather than at my desk. I guess I could sit down and just crank out some analyses and then go, but what's the fun in that??? Just a couple more months of data analysis and then I'm free for a while. Maybe I'll learn R in the meantime.....