floppies?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
yeah, i'm getting a PB in a matter of weeks and i plan on getting an external USB floppy drive. anyways, last time i really used a Mac was when there was very little compatibility between Mac and PCs so floppies could be used between the two platforms, but needed to be formatted. do floppies still need to be formatted between the two platforms today? for example if i typed up a paper on the Mac, could i save it on a floppy, then put the floppy in a PC and open the file? or, if i had floppy drive i used with PC, but was blank, could i use it directly in a Mac with no formatting?

p.s. and if you feel like lecturing me about how floppies are a thing of the past, please don't. i'm old fashioned in certain regards, and floppies are one of them

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Floppies? For the price of a USB floppy drive, go out and buy a cheap USB flash drive. Even a 64MB one is loads better than a floppy disk and they are compatible with PC and Macs without reformatting. Unless you currently have floppy disks or lack USB ports on your PC and REALLY REALLY must use a floppy drive than get one.

Heck, a USB 2.0 card for PC is less than $10.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't read your "PS:" Mac's can read PC formatted, PC's can't read Mac formatted. Best to format them for PC.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Geez, I honestly haven't touched a floppy in... five? six years?

1) email it

2) file share it

3) USB flash drive it
  • Reply 3 of 34
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    mac formatted floppys still wont work in PCs... save yourself the trouble and get a USB flash drive...
  • Reply 4 of 34
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Performa636CD

...p.s. and if you feel like lecturing me about how floppies are a thing of the past, please don't. i'm old fashioned in certain regards, and floppies are one of them

no lecture, but advice:

1: floppies are a pain in the ass

2: sloppys are unstable, and unsecure

3: for the price of the drive you could get a thumb drive and vwala, 128 diskettes on your keychain, the thing is smaller than a bluetooth dongle and priced under 50$.

4: a cheap firewire hdd and a card for the pc (sorta pricey but way better than disks)

Thats all for now, gotta go sort my 8-track collection and find that kenny loggins tape so see ya later
  • Reply 5 of 34
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

mac formatted floppys still wont work in PCs... save yourself the trouble and get a USB flash drive...

Agreed, but also be aware that while PCs aren't capable of reading Mac formatted floppies, Macs *CAN* read PC formatted floppies.

Stupid PCs...
  • Reply 6 of 34
    lemme ask you this, let's say i do get one of those pocket USB drives. ok, so i'm writing a paper or making a power point presentation, blah blah, and i want to go save. can i save it to the thumb drive as if i were to save it on the HD or floppy? just go to file, save as...etc? if the answer is yes, let's say that i wanna transfer that paper to my PC computer...should be directly compatible, right?
  • Reply 7 of 34
    Quote:

lemme ask you this, let's say i do get one of those pocket USB drives. ok, so i'm writing a paper or making a power point presentation, blah blah, and i want to go save. can i save it to the thumb drive as if i were to save it on the HD or floppy? just go to file, save as...etc? if the answer is yes, let's say that i wanna transfer that paper to my PC computer...should be directly compatible, right?

yes sir: in windows it usualy mounts as the f-drive, and on mac, well i dont know. but is dhould do anything a flopy can do (exept byte the dust each minut) and faster and hold a hell of a lot more.

I know if the drivers are compiled into the kernal all inux will see them automaticly and they are all osx/unix compiant
  • Reply 8 of 34
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

yeah, i'm getting a PB in a matter of weeks and i plan on getting an external USB floppy drive.

I thought I would need one too. I even wasted an Apple sticker on it. It not rests next to my sister's POS Gateway Solo that has a messed up floppy drive. (She's not a big tech person, but when she finally gets a new computer, it should be an iBook ).
  • Reply 9 of 34
    i've NEVER had a problem with floppies since i first started using a computer.

anyhoo, any recommendation on a USB flash drive? i know that Verbatim is recommended for blank recordable disk media, but does that reputation apply to USB drives? if not, what company should i buy from? i'm serious here, i do not want cheap crap, for example if memorex has a reliability rate of 99.23% over 10 years while Verbatim has a reliabilty rate of 99.55%, i'll pay more...hence why i'm getting an Apple
  • Reply 10 of 34
    I've got one of these

It's actually just a caddy, but it takes three different types of Flash memory,

Memory Stick, SD, and/or MMC, up to 512Mb, but most importantly, the cards are swappable,

so I could yank the Flash and swap in another half-gig while others would need to empty their card

I could have got a keydrive or FlashPen, but you're stuck with the capacity you buy.

only downsides to this model?

too bulky for convenient use in some iMac USB ports (keyboard USB cable interferes with insertion)

"insufficient power to chain through this device" if attempted into USB ports on KB itself

a few of the office guys have 'naked' flash cards (no chassis or protective cover)

while seemingly less robust or survivable, they seem to run fine in the KB USB ports (no power issue) and fit easier

http://www.usbflashdrive.org/ has some info and profiles some 'alliance member' products
  • Reply 11 of 34
    i recently recyled all my floppy's\
  • Reply 12 of 34
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Soap Box: Floppies are notoriously unreliable. While attending school and working as a lab baby-sitter, everyday we would see floppies die. They were responsible for literally hundreds of lost papers and thousands of hours of lost work. All of these unfortunate people also had not had problems with floppies... up until the day they lost their data.

I would highly recommend a USB thumb drive. Format it on a windows box and it should be readable just about anywhere. They are solid state, meaning no moving parts. It'll be more durable, store many times more data, and will be at least 100x faster.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    Does anyone know what I can do with the 600 floppies I have cluttering up my place?
  • Reply 14 of 34
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwri004

Does anyone know what I can do with the 600 floppies I have cluttering up my place?

Coasters? Target practice?
  • Reply 15 of 34
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwri004 Does anyone know what I can do with the 600 floppies I have cluttering up my place?

Do you know someone with a USB floppy drive you can use for a few hours? 600 floppies would roughly equal about ONE CD, so I'd copy everything from them to my desktop (into folders, organized and easy to track things down) then burn all that stuff to a single (maybe a second, depending) CD.

I did that a few years ago...had a bunch of old Illustrator stuff and writings and old Quicken records on a bunch of old floppies. Brought home a USB floppy drive from work for one night, got all the floppy contents to my iMac, organized everything (kept some of the Illustrator stuff on my iMac to have access to again), then burned a CD.

My life has gone from about 30-something floppies and 6 or so 100MB Zip disks to about 4 master back-up CDs, basically containing just about everything I've ever written, drawn, etc. on the Mac for over a decade.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    I bought a USB floppy drive when I got my TiBook a few years ago. The only time I ever use it is when a PC using friend brings me something to print for them or something like that. The only time I ever use it personally is to transfer files (old games I've downloaded) to an old SE I have in my room at home. It blows my mind how many people on campus still rely on floppies. There were signs posted around campus a few weeks ago:
    Quote:

HAVE YOU SEEN A NEON GREEN FLOPPY DISK? It has the only copy of my senior thesis paper on it. If you've seen it please call 555-5555

I was dumbfounded. Why you would keep only one copy of something as important as your senior thesis is beyond me. And to keep it on a floppy drive is simply retarded. When I have do my senior project (a work of fiction...I love being a writing major) I will probably have it on 3 different hard drives (internal, external, iPod) and printed out every few pages. That is not something you want to lose.

Then, just the other, one of my friends came to me asking if I could help her. She had written 5 pages of an already late paper and now the floppy it was on said it was "unreadable." I just can't understand it. Transferring small files between computers is what my Yahoo! mail account is for, well that and keeping SPAM out of my real mail accounts. But man... relying on floppies... Blows my mind...
  • Reply 17 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by SledgeHammer

I bought a USB floppy drive when I got my TiBook a few years ago. The only time I ever use it is when a PC using friend brings me something to print for them or something like that. The only time I ever use it personally is to transfer files (old games I've downloaded) to an old SE I have in my room at home. It blows my mind how many people on campus still rely on floppies. There were signs posted around campus a few weeks ago: I was dumbfounded. Why you would keep only one copy of something as important as your senior thesis is beyond me. And to keep it on a floppy drive is simply retarded. When I have do my senior project (a work of fiction...I love being a writing major) I will probably have it on 3 different hard drives (internal, external, iPod) and printed out every few pages. That is not something you want to lose.

Then, just the other, one of my friends came to me asking if I could help her. She had written 5 pages of an already late paper and now the floppy it was on said it was "unreadable." I just can't understand it. Transferring small files between computers is what my Yahoo! mail account is for, well that and keeping SPAM out of my real mail accounts. But man... relying on floppies... Blows my mind...

you're telling me. i got a call 2 am this morning from this guy who's computer won't boot up and his only copy of his senior thesis is on the computer; the thesis is due on monday. yeah, apparently he has no hardcopy, no back up, nothing. he's not the only one. i'm surprised that students don't back up their data. hell, i've seen so many failures, i'm willing to spend the money to back up my computer...that's right i'm gonna have to laptops for school. normally, when i have important information on a computer, i print out a harcopy, save it to HD, and save it to floppy...and if it's REALLY REALLY critical, i even mail it to myself to the yahoo and school servers
  • Reply 18 of 34
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    I own a 3.5" floppy drive from when I was transitioning from my 7200 to my B&W G3. I keep it with my 'book now in case I run across a person with floppies when I'm out in the field. Good thing to have in your toolbox, bad thing to rely on for safety of data.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    You'd think during freshman orientation (or whatever the hell that type of thing is called), there would be half a day devoted to "BACK YOUR STUFF UP, DORKS!" seminars and real-life horror story testimonials from upper-classmen.

It boggles the mind that something like a senior thesis (or hell, even just a run-of-the-mill term paper or book report) would be kept in ONE place...AND on a floppy disk, no less.

That's just stupid. It's short-sighted, "not gonna happen to me" idiocy on the part of the student.

We ALL get burned at one point or another...it's just gonna happen. But it'll suck MUCH less if I can grab that important freelance project off my iPod, my .Mac account and/or one of two CDs I've burned it to.

Overkill? Maybe. But guess who isn't up until 4:35am, sweating bullets and trying to recreate - in three hours - what took me days or weeks to create initially. That's right...ME.

Unbelievable people don't take this stuff a bit more seriously and realize its importance.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    I cant tell you how many times i have saved the asses of just about everyone on our school newspaper staff by recovering damaged floppies, and for free, before i talked the school into getting the software, badcopy pro.

as for me, all of my source is on my local hdd at home, my network hdd at school, a local workstation at school, and my thumb drive, and sometimes my moms hdd, short of a nuke, no one is going to ruine my data.

O snap, all of those places run windows!!!!, better put it all on floppies in an army strong box and stash it in the back yard under that unscrupulus looking X that marks the spot