Linksys router setup

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have roadrunner high speed internet connection. Hooked up cable modem directly to my Powerbook. My network settings: Auto->Built-in Ethernet->DHCP. This generates an IP address and I am able to connect online.

I have Linksys 802.11b router (BEFW11S4). I am able to go to 198.162.1.1 to set up the router. I disable DHCP on the router since you can only have that at one place. Now when I go to network status I get the orange light with a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx IP address an I cannot get online. Please help

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    you did NOT want to disable DHCP. You can probably get back to the router by setting your Network settings to connect manually, with 198.162.1.2 as your IP address and 255.255.255.0 as your subnet and 198.162.1.1 as your Router.

you may need to copy or clone your MAC or ethernet address, to make the router access the internet.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by plasma

I have roadrunner high speed internet connection. Hooked up cable modem directly to my Powerbook. My network settings: Auto->Built-in Ethernet->DHCP. This generates an IP address and I am able to connect online.

I have Linksys 802.11b router (BEFW11S4). I am able to go to 198.162.1.1 to set up the router. I disable DHCP on the router since you can only have that at one place. Now when I go to network status I get the orange light with a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx IP address an I cannot get online. Please help

You have a wireless router. Are you connecting over wireless? I assume not since you were connecting your cable up to your PB. Next question, why are you disabling DHCP on your router but leaving your settings on your laptop dynamic? If you do this you will have to enter a static address. I suggest turning on DHCP for your router that way you can pick up the private address. If you do this and you still don't get a 192.168.1.2 or maybe 192.168.0.1 (not sure w/ Linksys) then you need to keep your router on and turn your modem off for about a minute or two. Then turn it back on. You should be good. Hope this helps.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    plasmaplasma Posts: 74member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormerLurker

you did NOT want to disable DHCP. You can probably get back to the router by setting your Network settings to connect manually, with 198.162.1.2 as your IP address and 255.255.255.0 as your subnet and 198.162.1.1 as your Router.

you may need to copy or clone your MAC or ethernet address, to make the router access the internet.

I restored the router to factory specs and started over...left DHCP enabled. On the PB network setting left DHCP also and it picked up 198.162.1.2 IP and 255.255.255.0 sub and 198.162.1.1 but i still cant get online. how do i clone MAC or ethernet address?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by trailmaster308

You have a wireless router. Are you connecting over wireless? I assume not since you were connecting your cable up to your PB. Next question, why are you disabling DHCP on your router but leaving your settings on your laptop dynamic? If you do this you will have to enter a static address. I suggest turning on DHCP for your router that way you can pick up the private address. If you do this and you still don't get a 192.168.1.2 or maybe 192.168.0.1 (not sure w/ Linksys) then you need to keep your router on and turn your modem off for about a minute or two. Then turn it back on. You should be good. Hope this helps.

I do not have static IP so I have to go DHCP. I have the PB picking up the correct IP, now I just need to figure out how to connect the router to the internet?

The plan is to have the router hooked up wired first, then go wireless
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

I restored the router to factory specs and started over...left DHCP enabled. On the PB network setting left DHCP also and it picked up 198.162.1.2 IP and 255.255.255.0 sub and 198.162.1.1 but i still cant get online. how do i clone MAC or ethernet address?

Look for a tab named Advanced or something like it, which should lead you to that option.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    phroggyphroggy Posts: 63member
    Quote:

.... how do i clone MAC or ethernet address?

Click Advanced, then MAC Addr. Cloner (3rd button from the left), then enter the MAC address that you want your router to have.

I'm not sure how RoadRunner does it, but if it's anything like Rogers up here in Canada, they record the MAC address of the last card which accessed the service. Until *that* ethernet card releases the DHCP lease, it's the only one that's allowed to connect. You'll probably want to put the MAC address of your PowerBook's wired ethernet card (since it worked).

Alternately, if RoadRunner runs similarly to Rogers, you should be able to call up a tech and say you changed ethernet cards.

I hope that fixes it; one of my neighbours got a BEFW11S5 a few days ago and it was up and running on the default setup.

Perhaps this would be a good time to mention WEP? Use it.

And change the damn password away from admin/admin :P

(Also, doesn't this belong in Genius Bar?)
  • Reply 7 of 9
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    whats the IP address the Cable Modem gives you when you hook up directly?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Thanks everyone, router is setup via ethernet Now I need some help with wireless. I went to setup page to change my SSID. I want to set a passoword. Can someone guide me?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    phroggyphroggy Posts: 63member
    Quote:

Thanks everyone, router is setup via ethernet Now I need some help with wireless. I went to setup page to change my SSID. I want to set a passoword. Can someone guide me?

On the Setup page, change WEP from "Disable" to "Mandatory", click "WEP Key Setting", select "128bit" (64 bit is a joke), enter the passphrase (or WEP Key) that you want to use, and hit Apply. You might want to copy down the key you're using.

I would reccomend disabling SSID Broadcast, just to make it harder for people to see/join your network.

When you're ready to try the wireless, go to Internet Connect, select AirPort, select your network from the drop-down box (if you're not broadcasting your SSID, select 'Other...' and type in your SSID). If it asks for your WEP Key, type in what you copied down earlier.

I hope I didn't miss anything...

(I forgot to mention, I haven't tried doing the above myself, as I like free internet)