Do you own a PC?

neoneo
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
i had nothing to do and decided to find out if anyone here has a PC...

i have a dying Gateway MicroTower and an eMachines eTower 633ids...

i also have some PC parts that are gonna become computers in near future

i just got done rewiring the Compaq power suply that i'm gonna install into my Gateway, and i can post some pics

-Neø

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    This would fit much better in General Discussion. AppleOutsider is for everything *not* dealing with computers and the tech industry. Moving now...
  • Reply 2 of 50
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    I don't, but there are some in my house.

My brother has a Sony VIAO, my dad has a Toushiba laptop (provided by his school, it wasn't his purchase.)

But my house is Mac dominated. My current count has 7 in the house (soon to be 8 when I get my 12" PB) a few of them are in storage now (Mac+, LC, 6400) But I still run 4 of them, a 6400, iBook G3 @ 300mhz, Cube, Sawtooth)

And it seems to me that something like this should have gone in Genius Bar, but the powers that be will decide its fate.

Edit: Leave it to Brad to be all over that...moved it while I was replying.
  • Reply 3 of 50
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    I wish I could say no. But, I do have an 8 year old PC. I am searching for some kind of rocket so I can tape it on and launch it up in the sky. So when it falls, it breaks to pieces.
  • Reply 4 of 50
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Technically I do own one, but it hasn't been plugged in in a year.
  • Reply 5 of 50
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

I wish I could say no. But, I do have an 8 year old PC. I am searching for some kind of rocket so I can tape it on and launch it up in the sky. So when it falls, it breaks to pieces.

That's what baseball bats are for

I've done it before, and I'll do it again.
  • Reply 6 of 50
    neoneo Posts: 271member
    i'm gonna turn off my dying Gateway, but i will be back in a few minutes...

i have to install the power suply that i had just rewired...

-Neø
  • Reply 7 of 50
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

That's what baseball bats are for

I've done it before, and I'll do it again.

That would work. But, I want to make my PC the first PC to put it in orbit. Which it will not work.
  • Reply 8 of 50
    I own and love a "PC".

And by "PC" I mean a x86 box running Slackware Linux, with a custom kernel, the x.org X11R6.7 server (XFree can go to hell with their new license), Gnome 2.6 for all my desktop needs, and one hell of a sound system.

I love my PC and nobody can take that away from me!

I also love my iMac. OS 8.6 rocks!
  • Reply 9 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by Neø

i'm gonna turn off my dying Gateway, but i will be back in a few minutes...

i have to install the power suply that i had just rewired...

-Neø

Somehow, I think a small fire will be the only thing to come out of Neø tampering with a power supply.
  • Reply 10 of 50
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    PC free here.
  • Reply 11 of 50
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I did a while ago, but it was a piece of crap. Not actually that bad, but I really didn't like it.

If the graphics card I bought for it had actually worked (it was a crappy Sapphire one) and if I had also tried fiddling a bit with Linux like \\/\\/ickes does, I bet I would have enjoyed it. I still would have sold it though.
  • Reply 12 of 50
    What can I say... it's my hobby.
  • Reply 13 of 50
    nebulousnebulous Posts: 193member
    Yes, I owned one before I got my baby (12 inch pb. Luv ya, baby). So, my HP was a good machine for the first couple of months, then it just slowed down in a big way. After that it was all downhill until it got to the point of turning itself off whenever it damn well pleased, which most often happened to be when I was working on a paper or something equally important.

Thanks to that computer, there is a certain shade of blue that still triggers a very primal anger in me...
  • Reply 14 of 50
    I bought myself one today, still trying to get it to work right. Gonna turn it into a Tivo when im done w/ it.
  • Reply 15 of 50
    why would i although my wife has one

ps. a female that makes computer? not too likely. you must be a male
  • Reply 16 of 50
    Cheer up burningwheel!

My Gateway had died, even before i got to put in the new power suply!

The thing was that after a while that piece of crap wouldn't turn on when you pressed the power button and you had to wiggle different parts of the computer to get it to work...

i turned it off to instal that power suply. Then i decided to check my mail. i tried to turn the thing on, but it didn't work. Even after i tried the power cable that plugs into the motherboard. I took everything out of the case, and after i got it assembled it still didn't work. I'm gonna give the motherboard to my Mom's boyfriend to see if he can tell me what's the problem.

I'm sitting here using my Mom's HP Pavilion, because my eMachines doesn't have a network port on the back and i don't want to use dialup

But the cool thing about my eMachines is that if you turn the sound up to the full power, it will break your headphones. Not kidding!

-Neø
  • Reply 17 of 50
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    Wow...

Don't touch that horrible PC, it's evil...

Yes young Neo, I have a PC desktop. I wanted a February 2004 state-of-the-art gaming rig. Of course, I also conduct business on it (wink, wink Uncle Sam) . With the help of my nephew, I (Mr. non-geek himself...) put this little system together:

Windows XP Pro

Tyan Thunder K8W mobo

Two AMD Opteron 246s processors

4Gigs of 4096MB ECC PC3200 DDR

ATI Radeon 9800XT

M-Audio Revolution 7.1

3Com 3C996B-T 10/100/1000 PCI

Maxtor Atlas 10K IV 146.9GB HDD

Lian-Li PC-70 aluminum case

PC Power and Cooling Turbo-Cool 510 600W power supply

23" Cinema HD Display

It's been running fine without "those usual PC problems" from the moment I hit the On button.

With some changes it's based on Arstechnica's "God" box. I had to weigh the pros and cons of CRT over LCD. CRT still has darker blacks. The Cinema Grand's profile won me over.

What can I say, I love my gaming!
  • Reply 18 of 50
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    I have several and I've built all of them. I only use them for gaming and basic internet surfing like I'm doing now.

Built my latest uber gaming rig a couple of months ago based on The ScreenSavers Ultimate Gaming Rig.

AMD Athlon 64 3400+

1Gig Corsair TwinX1024-3200LLPro

ATI Radeon 9800 XT

Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro

Plextor PX-708A DVD-RW

2 Western Digital Serial ATA WD Raptors ((74GB,10,000 rpm, RAID 0)

It's fun building 'em, but I still prefer my Macs much more.
  • Reply 19 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cake

[snip]

It's fun building 'em, but I still prefer my Macs much more.

[/snip]

The same with me

-Neø
  • Reply 20 of 50
    lemonlemon Posts: 29member
    I made my own. It does the heavy lifting. DVD ripping, that's about it. Surfing and e-mail is a Macintosh thing. I can use both..