QuickTime downloads

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I like that Jerry Seinfeld "Comedian" movie trailer and a few flash files which I have viewed recently and I'd like to d/l them to my computer.

However, I can't find the link to click on and start the download process. I can view the content online - but I can't figure out how to save them to my hard drive. Are these files purposefully not meant to be downloaded by the standard QT Player (v6.3) - or are they there to tempt people to upgrade to QT Pro so they can be downloaded? I'd be happy to pay the upgrade fee for QT Pro if it would d/l files these files.

Oh and btw - I'm anti-piracy of software, but would downloading the "Comedian" trailer or flash files constitute theft? I'm not quite sure how this type of stuff compares to the piracy of MP3 files before the iTMS. I don't pirate music, nor DVDs or video games - but I like this trailer and some flash movie files which I have seen recently and I would like to have them as a memento. Opinions/advice anyone?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    * bump *

[Disclaimer]

Don't want to get in trouble for this - but it has been a day and my question was slipping down the list into obscurity... hopefully some fresh eyes might have an answer.

[/Disclaimer]
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Often, you can view the source of the web page, search for something.mov, copy and paste that URL into the address box, load it, and choose Save As from the file menu. Have you tried this?

I don't think you're breaking any rules by saving the trailers.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Often, you can view the source of the web page, search for something.mov, copy and paste that URL into the address box, load it, and choose Save As from the file menu. Have you tried this?

I don't think you're breaking any rules by saving the trailers.

Hey Brad - thanks again for helping out.

I found this url:

http://a772.g.akamai.net/5/772/51/88...edian-sref.mov

loaded it into Safari - then did a Save As. It saves a QT file on my computer that is only 4KB large - and it just says QuickTime 5 required - but I already have QT 6.3?

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

If you (or anybody else) could look at the source and then confirm for me that I got the right address and all - or tell me what I'm doing wrong, then I'd sure appreciate it.

comedian
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Ah, I see what's happening. They're using a reference file to sniff out your connection speed and then forward you to another movie.

Here's the link you want.

It's too big for vB to parse; so, copy-paste it back together.

http://a772.g.akamai.net/5/772/51/8822424c9c6bd1/

1a1a1aaa2198c627970773d80669d84574a8d80d3cb1

2453c02589f25382f668c9329e0375e81784ed5fc02d8

e0635980774d93da60775/comedian_m480.mov

Hope this helps!
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Hey Brad - thanks again for all your help! It worked.

Now, for the learning part...

could you please explain to me

a) how you figured out they were sniffing to see my connection speed &

b) how you actually found the correct address to go hunting for the download source?

I don't do any HTML coding, but I might be able to tell what's going on if pointed in the right direction.

Thanks again. I really do appreciate your efficiency and assistance!

... also, do you think QT Pro would allow this process automatically? As I said, I wouldn't mind paying for the upgrade fee if only for this convenience - mind you, now I would like learn more about how to view/understand source files and search for the content as well. So, the more practise - the better, I guess.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    pro would make things a bit easier... when viewing the QT file there should be a triangle in the lower right... the "save movie to disk" option is greyed... but will be available with pro...
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

pro would make things a bit easier... when viewing the QT file there should be a triangle in the lower right... the "save movie to disk" option is greyed... but will be available with pro...

Thanks Paul - I should upgrade then for this feature I guess.

However, if anybody is reading this thread and wants to help clarify my questions about searching the HTML source code to find out how to d/l movies please either add to the thread or PM me.

TIA.