Swap out PowerBook HD for 7200rpm?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
First of all, is it possible to swap out the 4200/5400 PB harddrive with a 7200RPM one, and second of all, will it kill my battery life significantly? And third of all, will it enhance the performance of my powerbook?

thanks,

duenan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    yes

no

yes
  • Reply 2 of 16
    mordakmordak Posts: 168member

I'm switching.

It all makes sense. It's almost the same as plugging in an external USB 7200rpm HD.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    deunandeunan Posts: 106member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

yes

no

yes

now it all comes down to whether or not the warrenty will be voided... and whether or not i have the balls to give that up -_-
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

Well you can definitely kiss the warranty goodbye.

I thought the 7200 would lower battery life though ?

I read that bit about the warranty in another thread here not too long ago...are you sure that's true? Even if it's replaced by an 'authorized' Apple dealer?

Murbot mentioned that he saw something over at Ars about the 7200 not eating through much more battery life than the 5400...so I'm just regurgitating that. Shouldn't be that big of a hit, IMO.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    deunandeunan Posts: 106member
    can someone check out the the whole warrentee deal w/ swapping it out...? :P (i tried but no luck).

even so, can't you jus tswap the old HD back in if you ever needed to send it back? :P
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by deunan

even so, can't you jus tswap the old HD back in if you ever needed to send it back? :P

I got a quote from my local Apple shop about swapping the drives, and they said it was a *very tricky* procedure. (quoted me for an hour of labor, fwiw). I'll ask them about the warranty thing.

[update]: Just got off the phone with the Apple tech that would be doing the install and he said it was a 'grey area' if the warranty would be voided. \ Basically he didn't know, but told me "if it ever goes into Apple they won't like it". Well damn, now I may have to rethink this.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Which PowerBook is every one writing about? The HD was an user-upgradable part in the Titanium, thus not voiding the warranty. But in the Aluminum, I'm not so sure...
  • Reply 8 of 16
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by deunan

First of all, is it possible to swap out the 4200/5400 PB harddrive with a 7200RPM one, and second of all, will it kill my battery life significantly? And third of all, will it enhance the performance of my powerbook?

thanks,

duenan

my emac 800 with 5400 rpm hard drive handles garageband, ichat, and mail all at the same time just fine. considering how much of a resource hog GB is, i dont think you really need more than 5400 rpm unless youre going to be capturing TONS of video. FYI, i do lots of video editing too.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by k squared

Which PowerBook is every one writing about? The HD was an user-upgradable part in the Titanium, thus not voiding the warranty. But in the Aluminum, I'm not so sure...

You are correct, the HD was swappable in the TiBooks, but that was changed with the intro of the AlBooks.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    ragexragex Posts: 126member
    Is there a reason why the AIbooks hd are not user upgradable?
  • Reply 11 of 16
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RageX

Is there a reason why the AIbooks hd are not user upgradable?

Because it's harder to do
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Remember when you could access the Airport card, memory and the hard drive just by lifting up the keyboard? Sigh, those were the days...
  • Reply 13 of 16
    piwozniakpiwozniak Posts: 815member
    Hey, i've done it...

You will lose your warranty, when doing it yourself.

When apple authorized dealer does that for you, then it becomes more interesting, as it's not standard replacement part, then you enter that "grey area' and you may have problems when something goes bad...

Anyways, if you don't feel too comfortable with disassembling your powerbook then don't do it, let apple authorized tech do that for you. Changing HD in TIbooks was walk in the park compared to this...

I have some images you can take a look at:

Good Luck
  • Reply 14 of 16
    If you get Apple authorized guys to do it, it won't void your warrenty except that if anything fails related to the hard drive and installation of the hard drive that won't be covered.

I also refer you to this thread at the offical apple boards:

Does Changing the hard drive void Apple Care
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThomasHobbes

If you get Apple authorized guys to do it, it won't void your warrenty except that if anything fails related to the hard drive and installation of the hard drive that won't be covered.

I also refer you to this thread at the offical apple boards:

Does Changing the hard drive void Apple Care

Thanks Thomas. After reading that I think I'll be getting the 5400RPM and an external bus-powered FW800 drive.