iSight 2

zozo
Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Am getting the idea of getting a Firewire based video camera, and seems iSight is the way to go. I gave one to my mom and I have to say, its damn impressive.

It's been a while (more than a year?) that the iSight has been out... and insight (ha ha) if the big fruit company should/will come out with a new version?

What could they improve over the current one? (besides price)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    The iSight software has been updated a couple times now. With each update, automatic picture calibration has improved dramatically. Professional firewire cameras certainly offer better picture quality, but normally the iSight is the strongest, not weakest link in the system.

I suppose they could add features... but there really isn't a need. At a certain point, devices stop evolving. Who's looking for a door knob with more features than the one they already have?

Perhaps the iSight could be further miniaturized or the plastic mounts could be improved slightly. However, for most people, with the iSight mounted above their monitor, saving space might loose out to the ability to easily grab the thing and re-aim it.

The iSight is the least flawed component of everything that's required to get video conferencing or chat working. By far, poor cross-platform standards compliance is the most aggrevating part of using an iSight. My iSight works perfectly... if only other people had the hardware and software needed to make the device truly useful. Otherwise, the wonderful picture quality is simply discarded prior to ever reaching the viewer.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    Frankly the iSight isn't eXtreme enough for me, I think a new version is in order...
  • Reply 3 of 34
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    Two months ago, I was given a hint that a new model might be coming.

It was from an Apple Store employee at the North Michigan Ave Store.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    btw, does iSight work on Windoze? If yes, with what apps... can I use it with MSN Messenger or Yahoo or AIM as a webcam?
  • Reply 5 of 34
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Francisco_G

Frankly the iSight isn't eXtreme enough for me, I think a new version is in order...

Not "eXtreme" enough for you??? What do you possibly need the iSight to be extreme for??? It's not like video-conferencing is a high-risk sport. Come on now.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    You are stupid.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

Not "eXtreme" enough for you??? What do you possibly need the iSight to be extreme for??? It's not like video-conferencing is a high-risk sport. Come on now.

• Reply 8 of 34
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    xSight X-ray version of the iSight "Don't just see your friends. See your friends' skeletal structure"

Song for the commercial song: "Bad to the bone" (of course)

Screed
  • Reply 9 of 34
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Francisco_G

You are stupid.

Oh, well then. Game, set, match. You win.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    As part of the rumor I heard, the new iChat will be windows compatible and will give us iSight compatability on the PC side. OR was it iSight compatability was to be built into another PC version of some chat software. Sorry, I forgot.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    beigeuserbeigeuser Posts: 371member
    I hope that Apple can streamline manufacturing and lower the price to $99.00. Combine that with Windows drivers, iSight could really sell.

If Apple had to take the "add more features" route, I'd want the iSightlight (by griffin) built-in. Or maybe a 2-3x zoom feature. Now that iSight works with iMovie, some people might want to make simple videos or take video notes in class. The zoom will be convenient to record stuff that is not immediately in front of the camera.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by BeigeUser

I hope that Apple can streamline manufacturing and lower the price to $99.00. Combine that with Windows drivers, iSight could really sell.

If Apple had to take the "add more features" route, I'd want the iSightlight (by griffin) built-in. Or maybe a 2-3x zoom feature. Now that iSight works with iMovie, some people might want to make simple videos or take video notes in class. The zoom will be convenient to record stuff that is not immediately in front of the camera.

It will work well for making those great home movies in the dorm.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    regreg Posts: 832member
    The features that I would like to see added would be adding a light to the camera, light makes for better quality to the picture, and better conferencing software. Why have it as just a nice program for the indivual, make it able to handle business conferencing.

reg
  • Reply 14 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by reg

The features that I would like to see added would be adding a light to the camera, light makes for better quality to the picture, and better conferencing software. Why have it as just a nice program for the indivual, make it able to handle business conferencing.

reg

Now there you go again wanting Apple to jump in to the business market.

I think Apple is just waiting for the 10 year anniversary of Win 95 , and for businesses to finally get a clue as to how much money they lost in being with M$ over the years.

I just hope that Apple has all the pieces in place to offer a total solution for the majority.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by oldmacfan

Now there you go again wanting Apple to jump in to the business market.

According to this article, Jobs is getting into VOIP.

http://news.com.com/2100-1041_3-5199...tag=macintouch

Quote:

Last year, the company quietly added two new wireless standards, known as 3GPP and 3GPP2, to its QuickTime software for sending and receiving multimedia over digital cellular networks. Because Apple was an early leader in the Wi-Fi market with its Airport wireless networking base station, the reasoning goes, the company may be hard at work on a line of digital mobile phones that would take the company into the fast-growing voice over Internet protocol, or VoIP market.

But if that is Apple's strategy, Jobs isn't saying. After all, surprise is at the heart of all the company's marketing campaigns, and who would expect less from the man who once rented San Francisco's symphony hall to introduce a new computer? Even for Jobs and Apple, some things remain the same.

Actually, I think it makes more sense that he wants to tie in Cell phones that have cameras to iSight/iChat conferencing sessions. Suddenly, anyone who has a Cell phone with a camera will absolutely have to get the killer app for same -- iChat on a Mac (and possibly a PC).

So I'm thinking iChat 2.0 with support for cell phone clients.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tomb of the Unknown

According to this article, Jobs is getting into VOIP.

http://news.com.com/2100-1041_3-5199...tag=macintouch

Actually, I think it makes more sense that he wants to tie in Cell phones that have cameras to iSight/iChat conferencing sessions. Suddenly, anyone who has a Cell phone with a camera will absolutely have to get the killer app for same -- iChat on a Mac (and possibly a PC).

So I'm thinking iChat 2.0 with support for cell phone clients.

Actually I read that already. I thought it came from a different source though. I will have to go back and check later.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by oldmacfan

It will work well for making those great home movies in the dorm.

girl: "shall we go to your room or mine?"

iSight owner: "mine"
  • Reply 18 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by Performa636CD

girl: "shall we go to your room or mine?"

iSight owner: "mine"

Zoom Zoom Zoooom

Especially if you can record with the laptop lid closed.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Well, maybe a bit smaller, new casing... would be wicked to be able to connect iSight to iPod for storage...

Sure... no viewfinder means having some weird surprises as to WHAT you actually recorded... but still... fun gadget
  • Reply 20 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

xSight X-ray version of the iSight "Don't just see your friends. See your friends' skeletal structure"

Song for the commercial song: "Bad to the bone" (of course)

Screed

"Don't see your friends. See your friends girlfriends without cloth!"