What's your Mac?

neoneo
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
What kind of a Mac do you own? The ones that you dream about don't count

i own a used and non-functioning Blueberry Rev C iMac (codename: Kihei...i dunno how to say that word ) and i'm looking forward to making it usable. I'm gonna have to solder some capacitors and an output jack onto the "video card" part of the motherboard along with having to buy a 15" flat screen moniotor and some sort of a power suply. I had to toss out the internal monitor because the iMac got waaaaaaaay hotter than is normal for an iMac and had a "burning circuit board" smell when you turn it on.

So, please post what kind of a Mac you have and maybe a word or two about how you ended up owning it. Pics welcome

-Neø

Comments

• Reply 1 of 65
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Powerbook G4 12" rev. a.

A word or two about how I came to own it: I bought it.
  • Reply 2 of 65
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    12 inch 1 Ghz powerbook G4 rev b. I lost 45 pounds and my parents awarded me with the new powerbook.
  • Reply 3 of 65
    neoneo Posts: 271member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

[snip]

A word or two about how I came to own it: I bought it.

[/snip]

i was only asking because i got my iMac for free. It was covered in coffee and ink stains , which i was able to remove. Later on i discovered the overheating problem, but i was not disappointed, because it's still free...

-Neø
  • Reply 4 of 65
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    333Mhz Beige G3 minitower- Bought it by working my arse off with chores from my dad.

400Mhz Powerbook (Pismo)- Graduation gift

Dual 2Ghz G5- Decided it was time for an upgrade. Got a few summer jobs.
  • Reply 5 of 65
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    iMac Graphite DVSE500/512/30/DVD 10.3.3 as current home unit

- plus many SE(30)s, LCs and the like all museumified up..

Currently looking at a 12" or 15" pbook (still cant really decide prob 12"), as main workhorse for a while and see what happens in G5 PMac/iMac land..
  • Reply 6 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by Neø

Pics welcome

We already have a long-running thread for this: Computer Setup Pictures 2004.

Feel free to discuss how you got your computers, but if this turns into another picture thread, I'm going to have to rule in favor of the existing thread.

That said, I have a Dual 500 MHz G4 "Gigabit Ethernet" PowerMac. I bought it three and a half years ago because I needed a new computer for college. I've expanded the RAM to 960 MB and added two more hard drives (60 and 120 GB). It still runs beautifully. I don't really need a new computer, but I am really starting to yearn for portability. I'll probably buy a new PowerBook over the winter.

My previous computer, which I also bought, was a PowerMac 8600/250. I gave it that one to my mother and it's still running decently.

Before that was a new Performa 638CD. It was a bitchin' computer for its day with RCA AV in, a TV tuner, and bundled Avid video editing software. I sold it for about $600.

Going further back, I had my own Macintosh SE/30. Ah, the glory days of System 6. It was with this computer when I started tinkering with HyperCard and ResEdit that I really started getting interested in computer science (my current course of study at university). I couldn't find a buyer; so, we donated it to a school and got a tax writeoff.
  • Reply 7 of 65
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    I have a G4 Cube @ 450Mhz with a 17in Apple studio display. Awesome machine. We got it three years ago to replace my 6400, that still runs really well.

My brother's fiancée gave us a 300mhz clamshell iBook G3 (the computer I'm on now) when she got a new computer.

I also have a Sawtooth @ 400mhz that is being run as a server.

And a bunch of old Macs too.

Next on the list, 12" PB, placing my order before the weekend
  • Reply 8 of 65
    rraburrabu Posts: 264member
    I went from several Apple ][e, ][c ang ][gs to the Mac when I bought a second hand LC 475 just before the G3 computers came out. After 6 months, I sold it for a $50 profit over what I paid for it. (Not too shabby, huh?)

Then I got a 266 beige G3 minitower. That sure was a fast machine compared to the LC.

With OSX, I moved up to an iBook 600 as OSX did not support the beige box overly well (video capture card not recognized, floppy drive not seen, etc.)
  • Reply 9 of 65
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I have a 1.25Ghz 15" Aluminum Powerbook w/ Superdrive and the stock 512MB of RAM. Hoping to upgrade that soon.

My older child is a 400Mhz G3 Pismo with 192MB of RAM that's been put out to stud. It still runs, however the optical drive and battery have both kicked the bucket. It now sits...and waits...for me to do...something...with it. I've had a few occasions since December to pull it out and access something within 9.2.2, but it mostly sits and does nothing now. Retirement is good.
  • Reply 10 of 65
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    G4 Quicksilver.... I ordered it.

I also have a Color Classic...... ebay.
  • Reply 11 of 65
    Switched from a windows laptop about three weeks ago...

15" PowerBook G4 1.25GHz

1 GB RAM

80 GB HD

Super Drive

160 GB LaCie FW400 external

Creature II speakers

Love it and only having the SMALLEST twinge or regret for not waiting the extra couple of weeks for the new revision. 0.25 GHz speed increase - not so much of a boost... 64 MB more VRAM - that would be nice for gaming... cooler running processor (assuming they run cooler) - well, you add it all up and I'm still not that bummed. Hey, you have to buy it when you need it. I got mine when I did because I'm finishing law school and wanted to take advantage of the edu discount.

There'll always be a shinier, faster, newer, slicker machine out there just around the corner.

...or at least that's what I've been telling my self since the new ones hit the street.

Also my wife has an old PowerBook 1700 that's been retired. She's got an HP desktop that I plan to do away with in favor of an iMac in the next year or so.

-back2mac
  • Reply 12 of 65
    concordconcord Posts: 312member
    My Mac (@ work)...

G4 1.25 "Mirror Door Mac"

- decent in OS 9, annoyingly slow in X...

768 MB Ram

- about 1/10th of what I really need...

160 GB HD

- Can't complain about the HD space, definitely all I need.

Combo Drive

- Anemic 16x CD burning speed. Especially since I have a rocket-fast Plextor 708A at home.

Dual Monitor setup

- Not bad... not bad. For any serious PS work, a dual monitor setup is an absolute must.

ATI middle-of-the-road vid card

- Eh, I don't play games so that isn't a big concern.

On the positive news front, it looks like I'll be seeing a new G5 before the year is out.

Countin' the days...

C.
  • Reply 13 of 65
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    I'm posting from my living room iMac, a 20" 1.25 GHz that's completely maxxed out (as in, 1 GB RAM, 160 MB HD, BlueTooth, and AirPort Extreme).

(off-topic mini-rant: WTF to all those dissing the iMac's price-performance!!! I sold my dual 450 tower and a fugly Sony CRT and bought this work of art for $1100 net [as in, less than the price of a 20" Cinema Display by itself]. The tilt-swivel 20" widescreen was just too much to resist, and it packs more power and speed than many of you might think).

Sitting next to me is my old faithful 800 MHz TiBook, mega maxxed out with a 60 GB HD that I installed myself, a GB of RAM, and an aftermarket 2x SuperDrive that I also installed myself. And AirPort, of course. It's my 3rd Titanium, and definitely the sweetest.
  • Reply 14 of 65
    17" 1.5 GHz Powerbook, stock (512, 4x superdrive, 64MB vid, 80 GB HD) -- saved like a bastard to get it, bought an imac 20" first, sold that on ebay 2 months later and recovered most of my money, bought a 17" 1.33 PB and took that back a week later and paid the difference to get the 1.5 now im happy.

I also have a rev one -- first -- whatever of the original imac 233. works fine, albeit slow, but i do have panther on it and i upgraded the ram to 160 (i think)? works great -- sucked on OS9...don't ask me why. This was given to me by my old boss. It has flower stickers all over it because I first put it in my 5 year old daughter's room, but she never used it. she always wanted to use my imac/PB -- smart girl.
  • Reply 15 of 65
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Wow Brad, I knew about your dual 500, but I didn't know you had hit the jackpot with so many of your purchases! All the computers you've owned are awesome.

I got a Wallstreet about two years ago. Great (big) laptop. Nice and fast in OS 9 and it gave me my first taste of OS X. By fall I had a dual 500, which I sold to buy an iBook. Then I sold the iBook just last fall and bought an eMac, then sold the eMac two months later and got a dual 450. I've come full circle and I'm happy that I now know what I like and don't like.

I'm actually thinking of picking up a Wallstreet or similar PowerBook in the next few months. I will be doing presentations for many of my classes next year, and having a laptop with video out will help a lot. I do have a PowerBook 1400 right now, but it doesn't have video out. I'm thinking a Wallstreet would be perfect, as it's fast enough to run PowerPoint and OS 9. I don't need anything newer than that. The 1400 struggles even with OS 8.
  • Reply 16 of 65
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    I have a beautiful Dual 1.25GHz PowerMac (mirrored drive doors).

? 1.5GB RAM

? 2 HD's 120GB & 40GB that I got at a swap meet.. It beeps every now and then.. I figure it's just giving me the 'ok'.. Yeah.. That's what it's doing...

? And an annoyingly slow 64MB ATi 9600... I really really really need more power because I'm animating in 3D all the time.. Those 256MB cards are sure tempting.. I got a computer instead of a car. So it was kind of a 'graduation'/'you stupid fool now you don't have enough money for a vehicle' gift... (I still love it though..)

Also, my absolutely wonderful iBook G4 1GHz.. For uni, although I'm afraid I'm becoming less faithful to him because of those new PB's. I sure could do with portable 128MB graphics... Ooooohhh... Graphicsy goodness....

I bought it because I could at the time. I sold my old clamshell iBook and used the cash to buy my new one!

Jimzip
  • Reply 17 of 65
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Beige G3/300 MT, Pismo G3/400, iMacDV SE (Graphite), Cube G4/400, Dual G4/533 Digital Audio, Dual G4/1Ghz QuickSilver, and around a Tera+ of floating FW storage.

Next up are a Rev.B G5 and a 17" 1.5 PowerBook.
  • Reply 18 of 65
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

Beige G3/300 MT, Pismo G3/400, iMacDV SE (Graphite), Cube G4/400, Dual G4/533 Digital Audio, Dual G4/1Ghz QuickSilver, and around a Tera+ of floating FW storage.

Next up are a Rev.B G5 and a 17" 1.5 PowerBook.

Oh yeah, and a graveyard of old beiges.

(Damn! I hit reply instead of edit...sorry.)
  • Reply 19 of 65
    lainlain Posts: 140member
    Standard G5 1.6 with 1.25gb RAM
  • Reply 20 of 65
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    dual 2 Ghz G5 with 4GB of ram.

867 Ti Powerbook.

by friday i expect to have a 17" 1.5Ghz AlBook.

had a 12" PB, had to sell it when money was tight.

sadly enough i don't own any of the machines i'm currently using. thank god for work budgets.