Which speakers for new iBook?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
The header says it all really. The specs, if it matters, are 600 MHz, 256 Mb, combo drive. The Apple site lists the Apple Pro speakers but doesn't say if they're compatible with the iBook (they mention G4 iMacs).

If I could fit regular speakers, would I need any extra connections or software?

Any tips greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    rraburrabu Posts: 264member
    The iBooks have a headphone jack to which you can plug in pretty much any third party speakers.

As for the Apple speakers, if they are USB based that should work perfectly fine also. However, I've never tried it myself (don't have any).
  • Reply 2 of 19
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    The current ones aren't USB, and only work with G4s and the new iMacs.

But they sound great!
  • Reply 3 of 19
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    If I had an iBook, I'd buy the Harman/Kardon Soundsticks. I've used their iSub for almost two years now, on my old iMac and now my new one.

Sounds really nice. I'm not a hardcore audiophile by any stretch, but I appreciate bass, volume and clarity.

Plus, well...they look pretty cool!
  • Reply 4 of 19
    The current Apple Pro Speakers use Apple's proprietary speaker mini jack which is only found on the new iMacs and Power Macs. If you really want Apple Pro Speakers for your iBook, ebay has some of the older USB sets that were used with the G4 Cube. Or I would recommend Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's (although they are a little pricy $180, they are cheaper then the sound sticks and arguably better). Also a nice set of headphones might be a solution as well. Good luck.

[ 06-24-2002: Message edited by: wolfeye155 ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 19
    &lt;&lt;If I had an iBook, I'd buy the Harman/Kardon Soundsticks. I've used their iSub for almost two years now, on my old iMac and now my new one.&gt;&gt;

OK, you convinced me - I ordered a set. They also had great reviews in a friend's Mac magazine.

BTW are they plug and play or do they come with drivers?
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Oops, sorry for forgetting my manners: thanks to all of you for your kind suggestions. They've been much appreciated.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    nemnem Posts: 45member
    I thought I'd post a follow-up question, not worty of a new thread. If I instead of speakers want headphones, are there any good preferably matching ones?

I'm pretty picky about the audio equipment so quality of sound goes before price. I already own a pair of Sennheiser HD600 Avantgarde but they don't fit I suppose?
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Don't fit what? The mini-jack? Perhaps not, but Radio Shack can fix that in a jiffy. I'd recommend getting a small mini-jack cable and a large to small jack adapter so the adapter isn't sticking straight out of your notebook.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Oops, sorry for forgetting my manners: thanks to all of you for your kind suggestions. They've been much appreciated.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I agree with pscates (geez, do I ever NOT??)

I've got SoundSticks hooked to an iBook right now, and they're fantastic. Pro Speakers sound nice, but you'll want the bass of the sub...

My 2 cents.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    I do not believe the Cube's USB speakers will work with another type of computer. I could be wrong, of course.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    I believe the speakers that the cube had were not USB but were proprietary.

I think SoundSticks are your best choice.

I'm going to be getting an iBook this summer but I'm sure what I'll be doing for sound.

The iBook will mostly be in my room, in which I have a stereo, so I might use that for sound, but the speakers aren't very convenient to where my desk is and I need the left and right speakers to the left and right of me.

I might just get the soundsticks, that way the computer sound will be fine at my desk, and I can also have my stereo and/or TV on (which goes through my stereo).

If you're not sure what kind of speakers you want you can get me an iBook and several different kinds of speakers and I'll test them out for you and see which is better. Of course I'll keep the stuff though

SoundSticks rule!

1, they're made by Apple

2, they sound good

3, they look great
  • Reply 13 of 19
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Actually, the cube speakers plug into a USB port, but only work properly if that port is either on the back of an Apple Studio/Cinema or the bottom of a cube. Cube speakers draw more power than than standard ports(like those on a Pro Keyboard) provide. In short, they will work, but not at full volume.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    find out if your usb port spits out @ 10mW...... if so, then the cube's usb speakers [there's one on sale right now on ebay for cheap] will work.

regular usb ports are @ 1mW i believe.

hope that helps.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    macasaurusmacasaurus Posts: 243member
    In my opinion, the speakers that come with the iBook aren't all that bad. But if you are looking to play movies and the such, get Klipsch 2.1 speakers. Those are the best in quality and give out THX certified sound and are for the budget user. They are cheaper than the 5.1, but if you have the money go for the Klipsch 5.1. I have messed around with them at Best Buy and read a lot about them... I say they are awesome and so do most reviewers. I think soundsticks look awesome and all but I don't think they can touch the Klipsch quality of sound output, which is very clear even at max volume.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    The Soundsticks seem to be a good choice. (HK heritage is worth noting!)

However, if you're looking for a little bit more may I suggest you check out JBL products. I'm currently plannng to build up a home music/teaching studio myself so this topic interests me.

<a href="http://jblpro.com/pages/recording/lsr25p.htm"; target="_blank">These speakers</a> are worth a look. I don't know what your budget is - but I will leave you with these two sayings I am fond of:

1. Good quality audio never goes out of style.

2. The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten.

On the other hand, these speakers may be overkill for your present needs. I just thought I'd let you, and anybody else who is interested, know about them.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    Oops , I forgot to mention that you may want to <a href="http://jblpro.com/pages/recording/control.htm"; target="_blank">check these out too!</a>

The White Control 1 monitors are more affordable and would match an iBook beautifully. (imho)

Happy listening!

[Edit: forgot to insert a space - d'oh!]

[ 06-29-2002: Message edited by: Mac+ ]</p>
  • Reply 18 of 19
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    I suggest the Swans M200 speakers, on sale for $200 now (I may just get a pair now) at <a href="http://www.av123.com/diva_m200.shtml"; target="_blank">http://www.av123.com/diva_m200.shtml</a>;

It is the only speaker that really seems built well, wood enclosure, good drivers, good tweeter, etc.

I've not heard them but I hear good things about them from serious audio users/audiophiles. Must note I have a headphone system worth over $1000 (I just prefer headphones)...

Ooh, and the G4s have internal speaker amplifiers in them (something like 20 Watts, I forget, it's the "digital" analog amplifier)... one third party company makes an adapter (you could build one yourself really) that gives you spring clips so you can hook any real (ie not multimedia) speakers to your Mac to use it's amplification. This would be another option, of course getting a real amplifier to some real speakers would be even better (which would involve getting a real sound card as well and having a real lotta money).

[ 07-07-2002: Message edited by: chych ]</p>
  • Reply 19 of 19
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    [quote]Originally posted by AllenChristopher:

<strong>Don't fit what? The mini-jack? Perhaps not, but Radio Shack can fix that in a jiffy. I'd recommend getting a small mini-jack cable and a large to small jack adapter so the adapter isn't sticking straight out of your notebook.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Unfortunately, you can't get away with that. It's not a 2.5mm stereo minijack connector on the newer macs, so you can't take a 2.5mm sub-mini to minijack adapter and make the pro speakers work.To the best of my knowledge, there is no adapter.