how high is the power consumption of my mac?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
i wonder if anyone can help me out on this question: i've got a G4/400 sawtooth which runs as my software-router/server 24/7 ... i just want to find out how high the power consumption of this machine is over a timeframe of a month or year.

i will soon replace that machine with a new PowerBook 12" g4/1.33GHz and a Hardware-Router... so that this new machine doesn't have to run all day long.

it would be so cool if any of you guys/freaks/geniuses would have an answer to this

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    This may give you want you want. It gives power usage, but probably not exactly what you are looking for. You may have to do some math
  • Reply 2 of 4
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

This may give you want you want. It gives power usage, but probably not exactly what you are looking for. You may have to do some math

hmm so it uses 200W per hour = 200Wh ? i don't know nothing about those formulars ;-)
  • Reply 3 of 4
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Krassy

hmm so it uses 200W per hour = 200Wh ? i don't know nothing about those formulars ;-)

It'd be 200W/h, not 200Wh. Let's see here... (200W/h)(24h/d)(365d/yr) = 1752kW/yr

Edit: I'm not sure how you would go about making the computer draw max power for a solid year though
  • Reply 4 of 4
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    power consumption is irrelevant. i have a computer, and i use it to get work done. if that means letting the processor run up the bill then so be it. ok, i dont pay my own bills yet, but i still wont care when i do start. i have a computer for power, and i need it for work, so i don't need to justify power usage.