Bunch of Apple Stuff

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Okay, guys...i've started my quest on getting my Apple electronic stuff...I've had, as u may have read at the genius bar, an HP laptop, a Gateway PC, and have only had PCs in the past. In my home I have a wireless router...a belkin 802.11g.

The only thing apple that I do own is an awesome 20 gig iPod (new version) and am lovin it!

I want to have apple tho, just because I like the format and the consistancy of what they offer. I have a bit to learn tho.

Anyway, I have some opinions to ask of you on various Apple products...and what I can do to enhance them if and when i get them.

First, the biggy. The ibook G4. I'd like to get one, and quite possibly will, fairly soon. What all comes with it? I see there is ilife and stuff that u have to buy, but what is actually on the computer when u purchase it? Is it really as durable as they make it out to be? And how is its speed?

Secondly, I have no digital cameras or camcorders...which would be a cool part of using the apple once I get it. Do u find the ilife programs as good as those on PCs? Do they work as well on apple ibooks as desktops? And are they good, overall? Features, etc.

How is .Mac? Is there any real advantage to having this?

Windows has updates u can download, do u guys find iSync to be a reliable and good source?

And besides the fact that software doesn't come to mac as fast as to pcs, is there any real disadvantage to owning one? Is Apple a good company that can be trusted and cooperative w/ any problems i may encounter?

Thanks a lot everybody, and I'm sure I'll come up w/ more stuff to bug u guys with.

-Masterman

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Wait...somethin else...

iSight. Is the picture good and clear? Much haziness or sound lapse?

-MM
  • Reply 2 of 10
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Masterman

First, the biggy. The ibook G4. I'd like to get one, and quite possibly will, fairly soon. What all comes with it? I see there is ilife and stuff that u have to buy, but what is actually on the computer when u purchase it? Is it really as durable as they make it out to be? And how is its speed?

iLife is included with all new computers. You don't have to buy it separately. For a complete list of what's included with the iBook, I'd check Apple's site.

Quote:

Secondly, I have no digital cameras or camcorders...which would be a cool part of using the apple once I get it. Do u find the ilife programs as good as those on PCs? Do they work as well on apple ibooks as desktops? And are they good, overall? Features, etc.

I'm a little biased, but the iLife apps are best in class on any platform. iTunes, iMovie, iPhoto all are absolutely great. There are some detractors of iPhoto but I'm not one and I use it very often.

Quote:

How is .Mac? Is there any real advantage to having this?

.mac is absolutely great. I love it. The IMAP mail is great. The homepage is nice. All the little freebies you get all add to its worth. But the biggest thing for me is the syncing features. I can get to my bookmarks anytime. I have my addressbook right there alongside my mail if have to use webmail. There's an added level of security to your data with iSync using the web to back it up. It's well worth it for me. Others say the same. Some people don't like it but I think that you'll find those who have continued to use it after the change from a free account think it's worth the money.

Quote:

Windows has updates u can download, do u guys find iSync to be a reliable and good source?

I think you misunderstand what iSync is. iSync allows you sync multiple devices at once. If you've got a palm, a phone, .mac access, an iPod, etc. you get those all synced simultaneously so all the information is current on all your devices. It's not for software updates.

Quote:

And besides the fact that software doesn't come to mac as fast as to pcs, is there any real disadvantage to owning one? Is Apple a good company that can be trusted and cooperative w/ any problems i may encounter?

Thanks a lot everybody, and I'm sure I'll come up w/ more stuff to bug u guys with.

-Masterman

"Disadvantages": if you like games, you're better off getting a console. I say "disadvantages" in quotes because I'm an outspoken critic of gamers thinking that this is an actual disadvantage for the mac. The iBook is absolutely the best value in a laptop you'll find. If you want to get a mac and don't have the $$ for a powerbook, you really can't go wrong.

Is Apple a good company to deal with? I'd say they are. I've had nothing but great experiences dealing with tech support and getting service done. Again, some would disagree, but they're wrong

I'm sure you know already, but a major benefit of using a Mac is the lack of viruses and spyware (some would say there IS spyware on the Mac but it's not as prominent to be sure). There's just some thing nice about being able to use your computer without having to worry about a virus doing bad things. Or spyware doing this or that.... I enjoy using my computer and a large part of that is BECAUSE it's a Mac.

Good luck.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    I don't play games on the computer that much, so its a nonissue.

Thanks a lot for yer time...lotta great info.

-MM
  • Reply 4 of 10
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    As far as what comes with the iBook, Apple's iBook specs page is a good place to start. As far as software, here's the major points:

OS X 10.3

iLife

Appleworks (office type suite.... if it doesn't suffice or you need MS Office, then that's a separate purchase)

Quicken 2004

World Book 2004

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4

As far as the iSight, I find the image quality to be pretty decent... sound lapse is no more than a couple seconds. I find it to be perfectly acceptable... haven't had any complaints in video chats with parents.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i think .Mac is a wash either way. some people like it, but i don't use the mail feature, and the other freebies aren't worth much to me.

however, i bought it for the Backup software. allows me to make backups that span DVD's for $50. i was making backups of files that were 100+GB, so that was key.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    I love .mac. Being able to have my bookmarks and addressbook handy on any computer anywhere in the world (and I used them in at least 5 or 6 different countries last semester) is great. I initially paid for it to keep my mac.com email, but I have been very happy with it since then. I use the homepage to post photo galleries (see 'em at http://homepage.mac.com/speaktruth), and the iDisk to host pictures for things like these boards. I think you'll be very happy with a switch to Macs. It's a good life .
  • Reply 7 of 10
    well guys, i'm definately wanting to go that road. I'll do all i can to get the bucks and get myself that ibook...then I'll have to take it from there.

As far as the ipod goes, what accessories do u guys like? I am plannin on gettin the iTrip but what else is real useful?

As far as the ibook goes, i can supe that up if i wanna right? Like set it up desktop style...speakers and maybe wireless mouse/keyboard. That's doable isn't it?

I'll probably set it up in a desk I have in my room, but want to be able to carry it around too...don't mind replugging once and a while.

-MM
  • Reply 8 of 10
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

As far as the ibook goes, i can supe that up if i wanna right? Like set it up desktop style...speakers and maybe wireless mouse/keyboard. That's doable isn't it?

I'll probably set it up in a desk I have in my room, but want to be able to carry it around too...don't mind replugging once and a while.

-MM

Sure, I don't see why not, nothing's stopping you If you want bluetooth wireless keyboard/mice, then I'd suggest you customize it from Apple with the internal bluetooth module. Less clutter that way
  • Reply 9 of 10
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

well guys, i'm definately wanting to go that road. I'll do all i can to get the bucks and get myself that ibook...then I'll have to take it from there.

As far as the ipod goes, what accessories do u guys like? I am plannin on gettin the iTrip but what else is real useful?

-MM

There are tons of iPod accessories. Basically think of a use for your iPod and there will be something for it. I love my iTrip btw. It's not always perfect, but my friends like it that i can pass the pod around the car and they can create an on-the-go playlist. Reception is about a 9/10 for me most of the time. Definitely get a case for your iPod. I have the basic InCase belt clip. the only scratches on my iPod after roughly a year of use are my own fault. Anyways, go explore.

OH! Check out Burton's website for some killer iPod jackets and a backpack! Perfect for snowboarding or skiing!
  • Reply 10 of 10
    If you want a DV camcorder, and money's tight...

you can use the DVcam as a webcam instead of an iSight ... you get a better picture with even a cheap DV cam anyway.

The iSight is pretty non-invasive though... being small and getting it's power from the firewire and all. I'd certainly recommend it if you like to do web-cam stuff.