Whom here has served in the armed forces of the USA or any country...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I will leave whatever politics may be involved aside for now. I don't know how many of you over 18 years of age have served in your country's (any country...) military service. I suspect not many, I could be wrong. I know there are a lot of very young people here at AI.

I did serve. I fought in the first Gulf War. What I mean is I had to kill some of Saddam's troops. I lost my political innocence there. I wasn't there for the suspension of hostilities as I had shipped out after taking shrapnel from an exploding APC that was right next to me. The APC was hit by some errant rounds coming from a 'Hog. The rounds use depleted uranium cores. Don't think I don't wonder how "safe" those cores really are... That was a painful experience.

Not as painful as the thought of the father, brother or son that I had to kill. It still haunts me although time has done much to ease the memory of it.

I went there as conservative Republican. Not a "whatever the party deems" Republican but nonetheless. I know Gulf vets that were exposed to some kind of chemical, they are still suffering physical effects and the Goverment is still f**king them around. Absolutely dishonorable behavior.

I recall very well Bush #1 asking the people of Iraq to rise up against Saddam. Granted he didn't promise to help them directly in their rebellion, but he did not state that we would "NOT" help them. So in effect, they were inspired to rise up against Saddam, thus showing their cards, and they got boned ugly for their effort. I just spoke with a bud who was a gunship Captain at the time. He was almost Court Marshaled because he fired (and blew up) on an Iraqui tank that was firing on old people and woman and children. This was of couse after the cease-fire. Schwarzkopf himself had to step in to to prevent the Court Marshal of a highly decorated officer...

No offense to any Kuwaiti AI members. I learned that Kuwaitis generally were reviled by ALL Iraqui's as being the greediest of nations in the area. Unfortunately, history bares this out. Next to the Saudi's, the Bush's are very tight with the powerful of Kuwait. There are still too many unanswered questions from this time in our history.

I've said it before. I know this is a quasi-fantasy at the moment. Until we rid ourselves of the yolk of oil, there will never be world peace. Never.

OK, OK, end of rant is at hand. Forgive me for going off track a bit.

Who here has served?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    skipjackskipjack Posts: 263member
    USN. 20 years ('79-'99). 14 at sea, 4 on shore, 2 in training.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    8 years with the 50th General Reserve Unit based out of FT Lawton. Unit hit Riyadh Saudi Arabia the day before Op Desert Storm hit.

MOS 76 Juliet
  • Reply 3 of 14
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Just did my military draft, has a doctor. One year in a military hospital ten years ago.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    USMC

I salute you three...
  • Reply 5 of 14
    ericgericg Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Just did my military draft, has a doctor. One year in a military hospital ten years ago.

Same here 14 months as a conscript in 1985
  • Reply 6 of 14
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Was set to join the Air Force in my early 20s but was not accepted on account of medical reasons. I guess that only shows "intent" and isn't worth much, but what the hell... figured I'd mention it.

• Reply 7 of 14
    Alright ericg8)

Moogs, intent does account for something when action accompanies it. Thumbs up.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    In my youth I served in the Israeli Defence Forces.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    What years (approximatly) Immanuel?
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardhead

What years (approximatly) Immanuel?

Nineteensixties to early eighties.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    5 years Army.

1996-1991.

2 years in Germany with the 3rd Armor Division.

2 years witht he 101st Airborne Division.

Spent 9 months in the gulf during the gulf war with the 101st.

MOS 68J - Aircraft Fire Control repairer.

Worked on weapon systems on AH1-F model Cobra Attack helicopters.

• Reply 12 of 14
    ^^^

msantti

Immanuel, so you re-upped beyond Israel's basic requirements... Wow man!
  • Reply 13 of 14
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Wow. Interesting dynamic. I'm in my young twenties now, going into business with passion. If the draft is reinstated, I will never forgive this nation or the world. But I feel for the rest of you. It's a crazy world.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardhead

Immanuel, so you re-upped beyond Israel's basic requirements... Wow man!

Not really, the national service (three years), plus reserve duty, plus the occasional war(s).