Time for a trip to the Apple Store?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
This is like the 2nd time my HD has gone caput...I think its probably just the original one is too full. I have tried pretty much every possible combination...looked on here and google searched and theres really nothing I havent tried..reset PRAM, all the key commands, FSCK, Disk Utility, Apple Hardware Test, etc etc...something is obviously very wrong. The error I got w/OS ( Disk check was something with 'BTree' on the stock HD on my Quicksilver. I let it sit came back...been a few days and still doesnt work. Basically I dont wanna be sitting around forever without this computer and need to recover my stuff. Now, I would reinstall the OS and be done with it....however I cant do that. When I try starting up off my Jaguar CD by holding down C....it doesnt work!! I cant install from the original because it says you cant install an older version on top of a newer one (the original CD containin 10.1). So should I just go to the local APple Store and see what the Genius bar there can do for me? Or should I just go to CompUSA and find DiskWarrior? How much would that cost? Would I be able to get them to fix it for free at the APple Store? I really dont wanna spend the money on DiskWarrior but if its the last resort I will have to...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    From what I understand, the BTree needs to be fixed by a disk repair utility or a complete reformat. The "C" key should work, just make sure you have it pressed as soon as you boot up. You can also try the option key than choose the cd as the startup device. If you do manage to boot up, use Disk Utility (somewhere in the menu) to repair your drive. You may have to do it a few times to fix it completly.

I consider a recovery program essential when buying a computer. I have Tech Tool Pro and Micromat has saved countless drives.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    gsfmarkgsfmark Posts: 210member
    you should name your thread something more helpful...