15 inch 1.33ghz with superdrive for $1979

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I've only owned Intel based machines so far in my life but I have pretty much decided to get a powerbook. I've never owned a laptop except for this really bad orange iBook that I am borrowing from the high school that I attend. It will be 15 inches with a superdrive dvd-r/cd-rw for $1979 because of the $200 education discount (my parent is a teacher). (and it comes with a free $99 printer [the powerbook, not the parent])

Is Mac OS very different from Gentoo Linux? Thats what I use on the intel platforms. OS X is based on Unix, so I will probably be able to get used to it pretty quickly, I hope.

Is it worth it to install Gentoo linux (i would rather run mac on linux if it goes at native speeds since i don't like dual booting)? How is the X windows support? Someone told me it was kind of buggy. Does Mac OS X ever crash?

Don't tell me anything about winblows since I don't use it even on intel based machines (I use Linux on those and Linux never crashes).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    OS X can crash, but it is extremely rare.

That orange iBook WAS not horrible, for its day it was loaded with features at a price that comparable notebooks had for twice the cost.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    gentoogentoo Posts: 4member
    Yeah, the orange ibook is not that bad.

On another note, I've been thinking about the superdrive. I wonder if it would be better to upgrade the memory (or go with the iSight) instead of getting the superdrive. Does anyone actually find the DVD-R useful? Lately, I haven't been using my cd-rw drive but I do need it once and a while and I used to use it all the time. (Could I , for example, copy DVDs that I check out from Blockbuster? That would be cool even though its slightly illegal)
  • Reply 3 of 7
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    The SuperDrive is pretty nice to have, but it all depends on what you are more interested in using, and what your needs are.

If you want to be able to video-conference with family or friends then go with an iSight, if you do video editing work and want to (eh ehm) backup your DVD collection, then go with a SuperDrive.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gentoo

Is Mac OS very different from Gentoo Linux? Thats what I use on the intel platforms. OS X is based on Unix, so I will probably be able to get used to it pretty quickly, I hope.

Is it worth it to install Gentoo linux (i would rather run mac on linux if it goes at native speeds since i don't like dual booting)? How is the X windows support? Someone told me it was kind of buggy. Does Mac OS X ever crash?

Don't tell me anything about winblows since I don't use it even on intel based machines (I use Linux on those and Linux never crashes).

OS X is based on unix, but the UI is all it's own. There will be things to get used to but most people agree that the OS X way of doing things is nearly as good as it gets WRT user interface stuff....

Regarding gentoo: I've never used it so I can't comment. I'd hold off on installing it on the powerbook just so you have to learn how to use OS X. I mean if you're not going to use OS X, what's the point of getting a mac?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

I mean if you're not going to use OS X, what's the point of getting a mac?

This cannot be underscored enough.

I cannot imagine any good enough reason to pay Apple's premiums and then chuck away everything that it is to use a system and software that can be had at a far less expense. PC notebooks are cheaper and tend to have better screens. The G4 isn't that much faster unless you run PPC/G4 optimized and AltiVec optimized code (which grows less and less likely as you use linux software).

X Windows support is great, at least, in the limited amount that I've used. I've run remote software and local software in X11 and never had a problem.

As for stability, a few days ago I had my first kernel panic in over two years. I'm a tough customer too when it comes to my Mac; I'm no novice.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    gentoogentoo Posts: 4member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

This cannot be underscored enough.

I cannot imagine any good enough reason to pay Apple's premiums and then chuck away everything that it is to use a system and software that can be had at a far less expense. PC notebooks are cheaper and tend to have better screens. The G4 isn't that much faster unless you run PPC/G4 optimized and AltiVec optimized code (which grows less and less likely as you use linux software).

X Windows support is great, at least, in the limited amount that I've used. I've run remote software and local software in X11 and never had a problem.

As for stability, a few days ago I had my first kernel panic in over two years. I'm a tough customer too when it comes to my Mac; I'm no novice.

I think I will proabably be using OS X once I get it. I don't want to have to worry about the hassle of compiling gentoo now that I think about it. I thought the powerbook had a nice screen. (the only one that is better is the IBM laptop screen, i've heard). The G4 will be faster than the Pentium IV if I use altivec optimised code?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gentoo

The G4 will be faster than the Pentium IV if I use altivec optimised code?