The oddest albums on iTunes

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have possibly found the oddest album on iTunes while searching for sci-fi music. Search for "Alan Howarth" and you shall find an album called "Real Hollywood Sound Effects". Although each song is $.99, the whole album contains an astounding 54 songs for the usual cost of $9.99

What is odd, of course, is the wierd pricing, not to mention the wierd nature of the content of the album itself. What's even more odd is that some of the $.99 items are so short, you can "preview" entire tracks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

I have possibly found the oddest album on iTunes while searching for sci-fi music. Search for "Alan Howarth" and you shall find an album called "Real Hollywood Sound Effects". Although each song is $.99, the whole album contains an astounding 54 songs for the usual cost of $9.99

What is odd, of course, is the wierd pricing, not to mention the wierd nature of the content of the album itself. What's even more odd is that some of the $.99 items are so short, you can "preview" entire tracks!

Edit: 20 of the tracks are under 30 seconds long, i.e. complete even in preview mode. Not sure what is crazier, charging $1 for a 30 second track or paying for a track that you can already get for free via preview?

$19.80 for 5.2 minutes of data?

(compared to, say, Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon for $14.99 for 42.9 minutes?)

Just funny.

I understand there are other anomalies like this. Pricing needs some rethinking perhaps.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    If you have a decent subwoofer, it's fun to "preview" the track "Energy Barrier" not to mention a couple of other tracks.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    The last 2 sounds on the Alien Creatures preview is the same sound that TIE fighters use (exterior), except only of the middle part is used in the loop. I always loved that sound. Sounds like some animal, camel maybe?
  • Reply 4 of 14
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Yeah. . . Rush is on iTunes. You can pay $1 for Cygnus and $1 for 2112. . . $2 for 40 mins of great music! Rock on!
  • Reply 5 of 14
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Yeah. . . Rush is on iTunes. You can pay $1 for Cygnus and $1 for 2112. . . $2 for 40 mins of great music! Rock on!

Hahah..whoops
  • Reply 7 of 14
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    I have run across songs, or what they called a song, on actual music albums that were 4 seconds long and yes, $.99.

But in that same vein, Miles Davis's Bitches Brew, runs 27:01 for $.99.

That one, Pepsi paid for. Longest single track I have found so far.

One last note, I hate having one song on an album that you can only buy if you buy the album.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Does iTunes have Skinny Puppy's "Left Hand Shake" track from Last Rights? That is a 0 second track, that is zero seconds. Not one second. Not half a second. Zero seconds.

Also, there is that Guster release that has all of their newest albums songs sung by a chorus of cats' "meows." (Sorry, I can't get to the iTMS for links right now...)
  • Reply 9 of 14
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

Spleen Chakra

i don't get it. what's strange about this one
  • Reply 10 of 14
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    Symphony #2 for Dot Matrix Printers - The User

How 'bout that?
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by burningwheel

i don't get it. what's strange about this one

Nothing really, I've encountered enough meditation music for it to not be very peculiar, however I did not know that the spleen had it's own chakra, or that it would be considered important enough to focus on.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Kenneth, that link is greatness. I bought the album.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Try searching for "Pull My Finger". Two guesses what that is about. It has 99 tracks. Most of them are only a few seconds long. All tracks are 99 cents. The album is $9.99. Funnier still is that it is assigned to the genre of 'spoken word'.

• Reply 14 of 14