Non stock PowerBooks in Apple Stores?

saksak
Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Does Apple ever carry non-stock PowerBooks (faster hard drive, graphics memory, etc.) in their Apple Stores? I would much rather just drive to my local Apple Stores (Seattle/Bellevue) to buy my new PB than do a BTO.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    not usually. i found a 12" Powerbook one time with one of the BTO options, but it's rare. if you call, they'll tell you they don't.

personally i think that's stupid, but maybe that's just me.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I always imagined they'd eventually (since it wasn't there from the start, like I hoped it would be) do more of that on-the-spot upgrading/tricking-out stuff.

Roll it into the Genius Bar (Monster Bar? ) where you can custom configure a machine, right there, then go walk around the mall for an hour or so and little monkeys in the back install the upgraded video card, hard drive, etc.

I realize this introduces supply/inventory/personnel issues that probably cut into the lean, efficient approach they might envision for their stores.

But it would still be cool if I could shoot down to Atlanta, pick out a stock PowerBook and have them upgrade the video card and hard drive - or any other BTO/non-stock thing I want (and that is currently availabe via the online store) - as I wait or shop or have a meal.

But I ain't holding my breath...
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Is there an open box policy at Apple Stores as well? Can you ask them to fire-up a PB and check for dead pixels, for example?