From PC to Mac?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Not a newbie to MAC, but it's been awhile. I purchased the original MAC in 1984 and used them exclusively until about 7 years ago when I went with PC notebooks. I've been exclusively in the PC world since then. Now, I'm captivated by the 17" Powerbook (design, performance, everything). However, I use some WINDOW'S based programs and I have concerns about the seamless operation of various software.

I use FUSION 7.5 for web design (and no, I don't want to change; too big of a hassle and FUSION does all I ever need).

I also have to interface with a DOS based software at work.

Otherwise, the Microsoft Office suite of products is about all I use...other than Adobe stuff (Acrobat, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc...even though all my copies are Windows based).

Question? Will I encounter any problems moving back to MAC platform or will Virtual PC handle all my issues?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Belvadere

Not a newbie to Mac, but it's been awhile. I purchased the original MAC in 1984 and used them exclusively until about 7 years ago when I went with PC notebooks. I've been exclusively in the PC world since then. Now, I'm captivated by the 17" Powerbook (design, performance, everything). However, I use some Window's based programs and I have concerns about the seamless operation of various software.

I use FUSION 7.5 for web design (and no, I don't want to change; too big of a hassle and FUSION does all I ever need).

I also have to interface with a DOS based software at work.

Otherwise, the Microsoft Office suite of products is about all I use...other than Adobe stuff (Acrobat, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc...even though all my copies are Windows based).

Question? Will I encounter any problems moving back to the MAC platform or will Virtual PC handle all my issues?

Thanks!

as for the DOS based software, it is probably just c++ or c source which could be ported to the mac rather easily, talk to your I.T. guy, odds are a unix/mac solution may exist or could be easily made. and there is always virtual pc, and comeing soon (mayby) WINE (windows emulation) in osx

as for something like fusion, i personaly wouldn't run it on VPC when there are other native options, but it should work.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Yea, not to be a nitpick, but "'round here yall" it's "Mac" not "MAC." Somehow it just offends me when people use "MAC."

But good luck with the switch, hope VPC works out for ya.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    belvaderebelvadere Posts: 18member
    Crusader,

Easily offended, aren't you?

B
  • Reply 4 of 28
    sledgehammersledgehammer Posts: 505member
    Well, MAC is wrong. It means something else. Mac is short for Macintosh, MAC stands for Media Access Control. It's just good not to use them interchangeably.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    cybermonkeycybermonkey Posts: 604member
    I used to call them apples before i switched.

I would save your money on buying VPC and just VNC, which although both are slow VNC is a damn site faster and cheaper than VPC. Keep yer PC handy untill your can do it all on your future Mac.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    If you set up telnet on the windows machine, you should be able to telnet in to run an MS DOS application, as long as it just runs on the command line.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Is the dos app server based? if so there may be a way to interface to it in unix, if it is a localy run app, that was written in house, there is always the option of begging the IT guys or programmers/anilists at your company to recompile it on unix or give you the source to compile in xcode, command line programs are relatively easy to go cross platform if it is c/c++ or even java
  • Reply 8 of 28
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Now that you have figured out it is Mac (and the other thing Windows ... ) ... maybe you might correct the typo in your nick too? Or is it just a texan-sicilian pronunciation for 'belvedere'?
  • Reply 9 of 28
    belvaderebelvadere Posts: 18member
    Thanks for the input from those you of polite enough to just help a fellow out.

To those of you who are overly sensitive about capitalization of specific letters ~ my lands, get over it. It's enough to make a guy avoid this crowd all together. I'm not in love with hardware. I just want to do what I want to do. That is the ONLY reason for the question.

Thanks for everything. Don't plan on posting again. Didn't mean to disrupt the peace.

B

P.S. Just looked up profiles on those who had a hard time with my post. Well, it answered a lot. I'm in my 40's dealing with teen-agers. Enough said. Bye!
  • Reply 10 of 28
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Belvadere

Thanks for the input from those you of polite enough to just help a fellow out.

To those of you who are overly sensitive about capitalization of specific letters ~ my lands, get over it. It's enough to make a guy avoid this crowd all together. I'm not in love with hardware. I just want to do what I want to do. That is the ONLY reason for the question.

Thanks for everything. Don't plan on posting again. Didn't mean to disrupt the peace.

B

P.S. Just looked up profiles on those who had a hard time with my post. Well, it answered a lot. I'm in my 40's dealing with teen-agers. Enough said. Bye!

It's not just the kids. It annoys a lot of people. Is it really that hard to spell it right?
  • Reply 11 of 28
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    If people are going to nitpick about MAC vs. Mac at least be consistent and also call:

unix -> UNIX® or at least UNIX or Unix

dos -> DOS

windows -> Windows

MS DOS & ms dos -> MS-DOS

xcode -> Xcode

cross platform -> cross-platform

c -> C

c++ -> C++

java -> Java

server based -> sever-based

texan -> Texan

sicilian -> Sicilian

anilists -> analysts

localy -> locally

Yeah, not to be a nitpick...

Don't let the bastards grind ya down, Belvadere...
  • Reply 12 of 28
    BTW, I don't seriously care about the above, I just wanted to show how silly it is to hump Bel with a strap-on steak knife over 2 letters.

Give a guy a freaking break. Someone correct him once and be done with it.

p.s. I understand a_greer has a Carpal Tunnel excuse. Or is it carpal tunnel?
  • Reply 13 of 28
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

... WINE (windows emulation) in osx...

WINE Is Not an Emulator.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

BTW, I don't seriously care about the above, I just wanted to show how silly it is to hump Bel with a strap-on steak knife over 3 letters.

Give a guy a freaking break. Someone correct him once and be done with it.

p.s. I understand a_greer has a Carpal Tunnel excuse. Or is it carpal tunnel?

I don't really care that much, but MAC means something different from Mac. All you other examples don't have alternate meanings due to their (mis)spelling.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    cybermonkeycybermonkey Posts: 604member
    Someone please change the title of this thread to the PEDANTIC THREAD FOR APPLE USERS, or is that Mac users
  • Reply 16 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

I don't really care that much, but MAC means something different from Mac. All you other examples don't have alternate meanings due to their (mis)spelling.

There is such a thing as context.

I really doubt we are getting confused thinking he's talking about Media Access Controller outside of a Networking/Hardware thread.

If anything, MAC should not be used for Mac simply because it seems like the writer is shouting. I do agree in correcting people regarding that, but not if it has the result of chasing off newcomers.

But perhaps it deserves another thread besides this one.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cybermonkey

Someone please change the title of this thread to the PEDANTIC THREAD FOR APPLE USERS, or is that Mac users

No, it's MAC users.

I don't ever think of the media access thing, I just read it as shouting, as I do for anything in all caps.

But whatever. Not that big a deal.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Do we need a MAC = Media Access Control sticky?
  • Reply 19 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

There is such a thing as context.

The context of this thread title "PC to MAC" *could* be about Media Access Control. We just assume that he's talking about a Mac because of history. If we were to just go based on context, we could definitely be wrong.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

Now that you have figured out it is Mac (and the other thing Windows ... ) ... maybe you might correct the typo in your nick too? Or is it just a texan-sicilian pronunciation for 'belvedere'?

Hey everybody lets just make fun of someone asking for help just to get our post counts up and laugh. Seriously for the sake of being humane I can't stand how a lot of people in here are about human rights, democratic ideals, leftist ideas and what have you, only to just have the most ill-decent, and unbefitting behavior. Can we at least be sensible?

"belvadere" was technically correct spelling too, just because it doesn't show up correct in your auto spell check doesn't mean it wasn't in the dictionary at one time. It used to be spelled and accepted both ways.

as for MAC thats just your personal opinion, MAC was always MAC for macintosh before Media Access Control, It always used to be PC & MAC, a lot of old school places use to say MACintosh. In that aspect tho as with everything else on here its totally of your personal opinion and how you think and the opinions you express here of that nature doesn't mean that its set in stone. If Webster does a typo next year for bubbles to bubles does mean the spelling changes? Remember they do a lot of additions probably just to save in printing costs.

And belvAdere you might want to reconsider using fusion on mac as there are so many better options out there right now other than Fusion. Its best for me when I do any HTML editing (which isn't much when I do its a 2 week project) I always find myself using a variety of tools. But for me BBedit always seemed to be essential.