Monitor went black

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My G5 Dual 1.8 is usually hooked to an old 17" monitor with a max resolution of 1024x768. Over the weekend I took it to a friend how and used his 19" monitor at 1280x1024. I brought my G5 back and hooked it back up to the 17" It said that it recognized 1280x1024 @ 60kHz. So stupid me, I went to the display shortcut at the upperright corner and changed it to 1280X1024 @ 75kHz. Then my monitor went black. The sounds and buttons still work, but I don't see anything!

Everytime I restart I see the gray apple loading, but then the monitor goes black. I tried to zap the PRAM and removing my third-party RAM and it didn't work. I hooked up different monitors and they work and I hook the 17" monitor to diffferent computers and it works, however I need this monitor and this G5 to work together again!

Help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Did you try changing the resolution with another display hooked up? Seems to me that's the most obvious solution.

And how can you stand to run OS X at 1024x768? I would die! I switch between 1280x1024 and 1600x1200 on my Cube on a 17" display. That resolution would drive me nuts.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    did you reset the NVRAM in Open Transport?

can you start into single-user mode?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    vintegvinteg Posts: 6member
    I tried hooking the computer to another montior and switching the resolution down. That didn't work. I don't like working at 1024x768 either but the CRT is really old and holding out to buy a 20" ADC Display. 1024x768 is the max for the monitor. It sucks!

How do you reset the NVRAM? Is that the same as holding option-apple-p-r at startup? I'll try the single mode startup.

I did try a safe boot and it works. But when I restart, after changing resolution down, the monitor stays black. What do I have to change?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    Quote:

Originally posted by vinteg

How do you reset the NVRAM? ]

Startup with option-apple-o-t keys (ot = open transport)

type
    Code:

reset-nvram

and hit return, then type

Code:

reset-all

and hit return again

it's like a PRAM reset but not exactly the same (?)
  • Reply 5 of 5
    vintegvinteg Posts: 6member
    Ah it WORKS!

I did that and flushing the cache and repaired disk permissions at the same time. Thanks guys for all of your help!